Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    lor

Re:

JohnL ~ \”I HAVE to workout every day or I feel bad about myself.\”

I recognized that.

How are you responding? Are you getting tired, suffering from overtraining or anything? Or are you doing pretty well?

A long time ago, I got caught up in a cycle of exercise obsession. To put in bluntly, it went from something fun I did that helped me manage my weight to something that controlled me.

😕 Sorry, I didn’t mean to get too heavy there. I just would hate to see you get stuck in that (it’s easy to do). There *is* a happy medium where you still exercise but it doesn’t consume your day, but it took me a few years (and some icky side effects) to find it.

johnl-d11

Re:

quote \”Lor\:

JohnL ~ \”I HAVE to workout every day or I feel bad about myself.\”

I recognized that.

How are you responding? Are you getting tired, suffering from overtraining or anything? Or are you doing pretty well?

A long time ago, I got caught up in a cycle of exercise obsession. To put in bluntly, it went from something fun I did that helped me manage my weight to something that controlled me.

😕 Sorry, I didn’t mean to get too heavy there. I just would hate to see you get stuck in that (it’s easy to do). There *is* a happy medium where you still exercise but it doesn’t consume your day, but it took me a few years (and some icky side effects) to find it.

Some days I feel pretty wore out and tell myself I need to take the night off.. but once I get home I feel like I’m cheating myself if I don’t. The past few weeks, I have really felt the wear and tear but I think that’s been from my horrible diet lately. (damn xmas cookies) 😆 Even when I was at my heaviest, I was still running 4 times a week, pushups, pullups, etc.. but my diet was HORRIBLE. That was back in 2002 and ever since then, I workout like I do now. It annoys my wife sometimes, especially on vacations. 😆
    And then there are times when I think, god, what am I doing? I can’t walk in the morning because my legs are so sore.. in the past 18 months, I’ve had therapy on my shoulder and on a knee… so is it worth it? Damn right it is. 8)

jaeroo

Motivation and desire.

lor

John, just so you listen to your body and give yourself a break now and then. Many feel periodic breaks are even beneficial in training. It gives your body a chance to fully recover, and you come back even stronger both mentally and physically.

I understand that \”high\” you get from a great workout. 😀 I used to get up at 4:30 every morning to get my workout in ~ I loved starting my day with that challenge.

Then I had kids. 😯 😆 I still get my workouts in 5 – 6 days a week, but I’m at the mercy of *their* schedule.

And Xmas cookies…oh boy! I just made 3 batches, and I have another 3 days of baking ahead of me. 😛

kravmdjeff

What motivates me?

There are a lot more kinds of fights out there in the world than the one where you’re attacked by a hostile individual. The graduate research paper that is bigger and more difficult than anything else you’ve done…the family member who’s constantly difficult to get along with at holidays…the choice between two potentially good but risky job opportunities.

I firmly believe that if a person is being trained to fight, then they will be a fighter in more than just a literal sense. They will have that approach to any problem…and we all know that the people who fare well in fights are those who, when faced with no other option, have prepared themselves to finish the fight.

Without getting into too much motivational mumbo-jumbo, that’s one of the reasons I initially threw myself into Krav headfirst.

anonymous

I think a great teacher can be motivating. If you look at a guy and think, \”Wow, I want to be able to do the exercise like THAT one day!\” that can certainly encourage you to try harder.

lor

Re:

KravMDjeff ~

\”There are a lot more kinds of fights out there in the world than the one where you’re attacked by a hostile individual.\”

I loved your whole post. That’s *exactly* what I get out of Krav. It’s funny because I didn’t start class for this reason, but the confidence I get from finishing each class is what now keeps me coming back. It’s a shot in the arm that pretty much affects various aspects of my life, not just self defense.

jl

motivation

we see new students come to class not knowing what to expect or feeling well….new. in less then a couple of months they are looking good, coming to class with enthusiasm and seem genuinely happy to be there.

these are the same students that wouldn’t say hardly a word at the beginning and now help other new students and it makes the rest of us that have been at it for quite a while get more out of an average class as well. There are so many positives that come out of the workouts, I think that’s why missing one or two freak us out sometimes.(not to mention the endorphin rush!) If your instructor can’t motivate, then maybe another classmate can.

njl

What pushes me is the fact that my oldest brother and father are diabetic. My doctor says i’m next, I tell her \”oh no I’m not!!\” 😀

I’m addicted to Krav and the instructors and fellow students make you feel like family. I’m lucky (as a few others in SA that are on this board) to have such a great training facility.

anonymous

Can you really prevent diabetes by exercising regularly, or is it more of a genetic thing one can’t do anything to avoid?

njl

In addition to a diet change, I need to get rid of some fat and fix my cholesterol… this helps it…

😉

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: