Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics What’s a good remedy for hip pain?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    lcash

Greetings! I have not posted or trained in about 2 years. I am going back tomorrow morning and am remembering some hip pains that had occurred when I last trained. I am 50 years old, in good shape as far as strength (400lb bench) but not very flexible. Any advice on stretches or supplements that could help? All help would be appreciated.

Lcash

leejam99

Re: What’s a good remedy for hip pain?

its probably from kicks…especially hard round kicks.

I know too many pro kickboxers with permanent hip injuries.. Me included and i also have bad lower back from all the high impact torquing.

My advise to you is not to do anything that aggravates what ever is hurting. Listen to your body…especailly as you get older.

if you are still going to do it… use dynamic stretching to warm your self up. Than after your workout, use static stretching.

unstpabl1

Here is a yoga set for your hips
    http://www.fitsugar.com/409369

There is a thing I’m working with at the moment called YRG. Yoga For Regular Guys. Its an offshoot of power yoga. The website is http://www.yrgworkout.com

The thing is at our age flexibility is a weakness and strength is flexibility. We just take it for granted when young. Look at how much flexibility grappling requires. YRG and yoga will heal the injuries and bring that suppliness back to our spine

Hip replacements are rampant among older kickboxers and karate heros. Tight hips and hamstrings are what cause lower back problems as well

Until i got into YRG, I figure yoga was for chicks and granola eaters. Its way harder than I thought and really rewarding. They have workouts that last 20,30&40 minutes so theres no excuse not to incorporate it.

Hope this helps

bradm

I’m 66 years old and have had pain in my hips for years – arthritis in the joints. (More so in my left hip than my right.) Anyway, when I started Taekwondo, at about age 48, I found the stretching and kicking helped to relieve the pain somewhat. It sort of keeps them loose. I don’t do TKd anymore since I started training in Krav and other RBSD systems. But, I still try to keep the joints loose by stretching alot. I have stgarted Tai Chi also.

lcash

Thanks for those answers.

Brad,

I hope I am still doing this and lifting when I am 66 years old. Good on you bro.

Lcash

Try some tiger balm, use the red one …..

http://www.tigerbalm.com/

To read what tiger balm is about

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_Balm

bradm

quote Lcash:

Thanks for those answers.

Brad,

I hope I am still doing this and lifting when I am 66 years old. Good on you bro.

Lcash

Thanks Lcash, I’m sure you will. Keep training and stretching.

emil

Lcash, first it’s important to understand WHY the hip pain occured. Are there arthritic changes; hip labrum tears; muscle imbalance; flexibility issues;ligamentous problems. Is it just pain or is your motion limited, etc… If you haven’t had problems since you stopped, may be you could just see if the pain returns then see a PT or MD.
    also, 400lbs is impressive indeed. I would recommend that you add lots of back exercises to complement that strong bench performance in addition to lots and lots of aerobic conditioning.

lcash

Heck Emil, I can’t even spell most of those words much less know if I got them. :D: Thanks.

I do a full workout squats, SLDL, leg press, etc. All the weights are in proportion. I do need to lose about 30 lbs though. I believe the hip pain is caused by poor form in the round kick. I was not pivoting correctly and I think that may have been the reason behind the pain. Also my quads are real tight so that can limit movement some. I am working on stretching but would like to know if others have had this problem and what kind of stretches are good for this?

Lcash

leejam99

quote Lcash:

Heck Emil, I can’t even spell most of those words much less know if I got them. :D: Thanks.

I do a full workout squats, SLDL, leg press, etc. All the weights are in proportion. I do need to lose about 30 lbs though. I believe the hip pain is caused by poor form in the round kick. I was not pivoting correctly and I think that may have been the reason behind the pain. Also my quads are real tight so that can limit movement some. I am working on stretching but would like to know if others have had this problem and what kind of stretches are good for this?

Lcash

I don’t believe that its from poor form since as i stated before….pro kickboxers have major hip problems. its the torquing and the hard impact of the kick…. But that again…i’m not a doctor.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: