Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics What techniques are/should be taught to newbies?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    broken

I signed up for a package of lessons, and had absolutely no experience. In my first class, we were learning how to get away from someone choking us from behind. At the end of the class, there was a speed drill where we got in random groups of 4 and took turns flipping each other to get out of the choke hold. When I was flipped, I landed wrong and it snapped one of my vertebrae in two. From everything I’ve read online, being flipped is not an appropriate first-class activity. Am I wrong, or was this irresponsible of the instructors?

kmky

Re: What techniques are/should be taught to newbies?

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I always spend a great portion of class going over how to fall if my class will include flips or takedowns.

five04zog

My background is in Hapkido, Aikido, Kajukenbo and now mostly BJJ. Lots of falls. It is safe with lots of training. Every class should train falling/rolling. Five min. a class should do it. New people should not take falls for a few months. They need to slowly work up to it. using crash-pads can be a big help. A first day student should not take BIG falls. When I teach D.T.’s, I know that most of the LEO’s don’t train. I avoid any big takedowns to keep them from getting hurt. I would love to get into more with them but I can’t. A good coach/teacher needs to keep class safe and not let new students get hurt.

I would go with falls, and anything you want to put under the umbrella of “safety”, such as things like tapping, mechanics of a punch or kick (broken toes much?), and facility safety considerations (certain areas are not for throwing due to little/no padding). And more falls.

don

quote broken:

I signed up for a package of lessons, and had absolutely no experience. In my first class, we were learning how to get away from someone choking us from behind. At the end of the class, there was a speed drill where we got in random groups of 4 and took turns flipping each other to get out of the choke hold. When I was flipped, I landed wrong and it snapped one of my vertebrae in two. From everything I’ve read online, being flipped is not an appropriate first-class activity. Am I wrong, or was this irresponsible of the instructors?

Not enough info IMO. Could be irresponsible. Could be freak accident. Could be pre-existing exacerbated by reasonable activity. Etc.

Hope you heal up quickly and completely!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: