Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics What would you train in if you couldn’t do KM?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    magpie

This would be because there’s no KM facility within a reasonable distance, but you could choose from any of the other conventional martial arts (kenpo, wing chun, BJJ, hapkido, aikido, kali/escrima, muay thai, etc).

Bear in mind the objective would be to find something for practical self-defense as opposed to competition.

Would love to hear opinions…

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Re: What would you train in if you couldn’t do KM?

Great question,

A place that did FMA and MT would probably be my choice.

FMA for stick and knife defenses, MT for everyday street type confrontations.

Then Kenpo depending on the lineage. Trejo line tends to be more boxing/striking orientated. Pick line known more for knife fighting. etc etc depending on family tree (Im picky about my Kenpo)

Love JKD but again depends on lineage

Theres so many hybrids’ now a days like “Hopkido Blend” or “Ukidokan” that I’d really want to see the curriculums and where the head instructor learned what from who.

Lot of options these days. So I guess its a case by case basis, at least if it was for me personally.

Like I said I’m picky 🙂

Love to hear Don weigh in on this subject.

rickprado

Prior to getting in KM many years ago, I had checked out a JKD teacher locally who is a direct disciple of Dan Inosanto, he’d certainly be my next choice. I would definitely check out the lineage of whatever you get into.

seraphs-coal

Personally I would likely train in Atemi Jujitsu or another brand of Jujitsu that incorporates striking because of its similarity with Krav.

Western Boxing is a good option as it compliments Krav very well.

From your list if that is all that you have access to, I would look at Aikido or Hapkido. Whilst many Aikido places practice Aikido in a way that is more like Ballet, there are some places out there that practice it in more of a hard style and where the instructors are willing to show you what works and conversely what does not work in Aikido. Its been established on this forum that some of the forms of Aikido are used in Krav in terms of locks and holds and that can be useful training leading into Krav also.

don

I agree with Sean that How you train is just as important is What you train and I also would be inclined to blend different arts to try to cover as many combat ranges, tools/weapons, and self-defense scenarios as possible.

I have a few questions about the original question posed:

1. Does KM exist and/or have we already been exposed to KM and are trying to find something similar?

2. Are we answering as if we were going to start all over from scratch Or taking into account whatever our respective training backgrounds are and just moving forward from now?

3. Are we limited in number of arts/schools?

4. Any specific self-defense situations/scenarios (e.g. maybe work related, maybe hobby related, maybe news story related, etc) that we are trying to prepare ourselves for or are we just saying anything “street”?

5. Are we including shooting firearms and are we also preparing for a zombie apocalypse? ;):

Hi, everyone. I’m 31, new to martial arts, but fairly fit/strong and a decent athlete. My goal is to learn to fight, in real situations. I have the same kind of question, but with even more limited options than OP. There’s no KM gym in my city (there’s one that claims to be KM – called Bukan school- but even someone uninitiated can tell it’s silly nonsense).

I plan on moving eventually (not sure where, but highly likely to a bigger city with plenty of real KM instructors), but in the meantime these are my options:

Option 1: I have the Ultimate Krav Maga DVDs and the book Complete Krav Maga (by Darren Levine and John Whitman, an excellent resource). I figure I could try practicing at least some of the stuff in there on my own, until I eventually move and find an instructor. If you guys have any suggestions or materials on how to go about that, I’d be very grateful.

Option 2: there’s a martial arts school that looks like they take themselves seriously, and they have MMA, Kickboxing and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu instructors. They also offer a “half subscription”, which has 6 sessions/ month.

Option 3: there’s a Kyokushin kaikan dojo that also looks serious. I love Japanese culture (and I’m getting good at the language and writing), so that would be a plus, but I have reservations about the usefulness of learning Karate. My primary interest is in learning how to handle real danger, not in indulging my love of Japanese culture. I can do the latter while sitting on a couch just fine, don’t need to join a gym for it.

And that’s about it. If I am wrong to dismiss this third option, please correct me.

magpie

Allow me to clarify my initial question (and this may also answer Don’s questions):

I started training KM in July. My current workplace is located near the KMW HQ in West L.A., so it’s very convenient to get to classes. However, I’m currently looking for a new job because I’m dissatisfied with my current one. I’m also job hunting in an area where it would be inconvenient to get to KM classes on a regular basis.

That being said, there are a number of other m.a. schools in said area to choose from. There are wing chun schools, hapkido schools, FMA, MT, BJJ, etc. etc. Just no Krav!

I realize this is total future-tripping, but I’ve already started to wonder what I’ll do if I end up being unable to attend KM classes regularly. I want to train in something that is eminently practical for real-world self defense as opposed to competition.

OK, I’m done rambling. Oh, and not really preparing for the zombie apocalypse…just wanna be able to kick the s*** out of someone trying to jump me in the Ralph’s parking lot.

@Magpie
    :

What Sean said. I’d personally want to train MT for hand to hand and FMA (for both offense/defense with weapons and ideally a Dirty Boxing element). Would also look into Western Boxing at Wildcard West in Santa Monica, JKD at Inosanto in Marina Del Rey, and BJJ at either Street Sports (near SMC in Santa Monica) or 10th Planet (Bev Hills Adj on Pico).

@Stansfield:

There’s a guy in Belgium (Brussels maybe?) named Harry Mariette who’s supposed to be great. IKM/Gabi Noah guy. You can Google/YouTube him.

Good luck all!

kravjitsu

Muay Thai for standup. BJJ for ground, maybe some straight MMA for the combo Kali for weapons… This in a perfect world. 😉

don

quote Magpie:

Allow me to clarify my initial question (and this may also answer Don’s questions):

I started training KM in July. My current workplace is located near the KMW HQ in West L.A., so it’s very convenient to get to classes. However, I’m currently looking for a new job because I’m dissatisfied with my current one. I’m also job hunting in an area where it would be inconvenient to get to KM classes on a regular basis.

That being said, there are a number of other m.a. schools in said area to choose from. There are wing chun schools, hapkido schools, FMA, MT, BJJ, etc. etc. Just no Krav!

Just curious around what general areas you live or potentially work where there is no KM “near by”? (and how far would you consider driving to go train)

As you know, one really great thing is that So Cal is a mecca for martial arts/artists – we’ve got just about everything under the sun available here and top guys/gals come from all over the world to train here.

I realize this is total future-tripping, but I’ve already started to wonder what I’ll do if I end up being unable to attend KM classes regularly. I want to train in something that is eminently practical for real-world self defense as opposed to competition.

IMO, competition based MAs, especially MMA, can still have a lot to offer and I personally wouldn’t consider them a complete waste of time or choose not to train there just because.

OK, I’m done rambling. Oh, and not really preparing for the zombie apocalypse…just wanna be able to kick the s*** out of someone trying to jump me in the Ralph’s parking lot.

Maybe switch over to Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods? ;):

FWIW, I also agree with training in MMA and FMA… :):

mikeguima

quote stansfield123:

Hi, everyone. I’m 31, new to martial arts, but fairly fit/strong and a decent athlete. My goal is to learn to fight, in real situations. I have the same kind of question, but with even more limited options than OP. There’s no KM gym in my city (there’s one that claims to be KM – called Bukan school- but even someone uninitiated can tell it’s silly nonsense).

I plan on moving eventually (not sure where, but highly likely to a bigger city with plenty of real KM instructors), but in the meantime these are my options:

Option 1: I have the Ultimate Krav Maga DVDs and the book Complete Krav Maga (by Darren Levine and John Whitman, an excellent resource). I figure I could try practicing at least some of the stuff in there on my own, until I eventually move and find an instructor. If you guys have any suggestions or materials on how to go about that, I’d be very grateful.

Option 2: there’s a martial arts school that looks like they take themselves seriously, and they have MMA, Kickboxing and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu instructors. They also offer a “half subscription”, which has 6 sessions/ month.

Option 3: there’s a Kyokushin kaikan dojo that also looks serious. I love Japanese culture (and I’m getting good at the language and writing), so that would be a plus, but I have reservations about the usefulness of learning Karate. My primary interest is in learning how to handle real danger, not in indulging my love of Japanese culture. I can do the latter while sitting on a couch just fine, don’t need to join a gym for it.

And that’s about it. If I am wrong to dismiss this third option, please correct me.

The Bukan school teaches in many places around my town (Braga, Portugal) and its founder is Yaron Lichtenstein. I’m not doing KM yet but I’ve attended one class and it looked pretty legit.

The Master had belonged to 2 other schools before (one of them was Krav Maga Global) and he said Bukan taught the real KM (meaning they didn’t change anything). When I mentioned IKMA he said it was a good school but he also said they’d incorporated kickboxing techniques, amongst others, into it.

Has anyone got experience with the BUKAN school?

lions2011

I train in Muay Thai also.

No interest in Boxing or Judo.

May try a tad BJJ one day but too busy with other sports.

Krav is better than MT for street stuff. No question about that. BJJ would be nice but rolling on the hard concrete would be difficult and not realistic as much.

quote lions2011:

I train in Muay Thai also.

No interest in Boxing or Judo.

May try a tad BJJ one day but too busy with other sports.

Krav is better than MT for street stuff. No question about that. BJJ would be nice but rolling on the hard concrete would be difficult and not realistic as much.

If I couldn’t do Krav Maga I would do either Karate or Muay Thai.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: