Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics When to begin Sparring

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    cypressd

Hey everyone. This is my first post and have been doing Krav in the Northern Kentucky area for about three months now. I love it.

I have a question about sparring. As I read old posts and become more Krav educated, it seems people begin to spar at different points during their Krav training. It even seems that some tests integrate sparring as part of the testing procedure. I was wondering at one point in their training everyone began to spar? It seems some began during yellow belt and some in green belt, while others began almost immediately. Is sparring conducted only in the Krav fight classes or in the normal Krav classes as well? Does your instructor have to be Fit To Fight-Certified to allow sparring under his/her tutelage?

Thanks in advance for all help and replies!

Re: When to begin Sparring

You have it right there is no hard fast rule and most places probably do it differently depending on the instructors feeling towards sparring and it’s place. As a student I didn’t start sparring until after my yellow belt once my instructor felt I could keep my hands up, chin down and had good enough technique that I could stay in the fight. To the point that I wouldn’t resort to animal instincts while sparring.

As an instructor now the first thing I ask when a student asks this is what do they think? Do they think? Do they feel ready? If not then they don’t spar. If they want to try it but are nervous I can sit with them as they watch sparring and do light drill to work into sparring. Nobody should be thrown to the wolves there first time out.

At my school we do not make sparring a manditory part of class but as you get into L2 and L3 it is recommended. Generally I find that people are not scared of pads or bags that don’t fight back, but without sparring you don’t get a feel for your own stress response when somebody else is hitting back.

So to wrap up the novel here, if you feel ready and it is offered try it a couple of times and see how it goes, if you don’t feel ready wait a bit.

maddogmean

To add to the previous post, I think it’s important to have a good sense of control in your striking. I recently partnered with a guy who threw wild punches trying to knock my block off rather than focus on technique and movement. The instrutor wanted us to go 20%. He was going about 40-50%. His lack of control resulted in him not learning anything, and me not getting the proper training.

unstpabl1

:dunno:When the bell rings or the 1st punch is thrown.thumbsup

agreed about the control aspect, once you’ve sparred for a while those crazy people are kind of fun because usually there hands are by thier hips and they can’t move for $hit so you can kind of play with them.

But I totally agree you do not learn much of anything except maybe how to stop a drunk bear from attacking you.

unstpabl1

quote TigerUpperCut:

agreed about the control aspect, once you’ve sparred for a while those crazy people are kind of fun because usually there hands are by thier hips and they can’t move for $hit so you can kind of play with them.

But I totally agree you do not learn much of anything except maybe how to stop a drunk bear from attacking you.

Actually, believe the opposite as you learn how to deal with an undisciplined opponent which though I hate to promote the stereotype but most street fight opponents may be. The Drunk Bear in the bar fight

i watched an Israeli guy doing Wing chun at Hawkins Chueng’s awhile back. He was so aggressive, he was frustrating the more skilled players. They were forced to deal with a different type of energy than they normally played with. They tried to get him to play their game, but they couldn ‘t really stop him, so what proof did they have that their way is better

Plus MadDogMean had to deal with his own fears and frustrations to keep himself safe during session and if open minded enough started to learn how to use the opponents aggression and wildness against him

Very good point. Another reason why sparring is important at any level.

maddogmean

Yeah, dealing with all different types of fighters is always a plus. In this case the focus was on defenses and head movement, where dealing with a disciplined fighter would be better training. At one point the guy dropped his hands and taunted me to hit him hard. Definitely not learning anything from partnering with that guy.

ryan

Cypressd, your instructors need to be Fit to Fight certified if the center is running the Fit to Fight program. While a lot of schools are adding the program, and it is exclusive to KMW, not all centers offer it. Otherwise, as a Krav Maga instructor they should be qualified to run Krav Maga fight classes. A lot just depends on your goals for “sparring”.

Regarding “when”, it does vary a lot from center to center, as others have said. It’s probably best to talk to your instructor to see what is typical at your center. Good luck!

cypressd

Thanks for all the responses everyone. They all make sense and were helpful. I guess I was just wondering if sparring was an active part of the Krav learning process.

I am reading a book by Sam Sheridan, “A Fighter’s Heart,” in which he is asked why he fights. His reply…”Because I’m afraid of confrontation.” That really makes sense to me, as I am also afraid of confrontation. I think sparring is probably the closest thing to an actual confrontation, and will be a great learning tool to control, or at least manage, that fear.

With that being said, I also realize I am probably not ready for sparring yet. I still have to improve on my basic striking and defense techniques before I can put them to use in a sparring session.

Again, thanks for all the replies!

I started sparring in level II. I love it!!!! Things really change when someone is swinging back at you, the bag doesnt hit back hard enuff.

future-swat

quote cypressd:

Hey everyone. This is my first post and have been doing Krav in the Northern Kentucky area for about three months now. I love it.

I have a question about sparring. As I read old posts and become more Krav educated, it seems people begin to spar at different points during their Krav training. It even seems that some tests integrate sparring as part of the testing procedure. I was wondering at one point in their training everyone began to spar? It seems some began during yellow belt and some in green belt, while others began almost immediately. Is sparring conducted only in the Krav fight classes or in the normal Krav classes as well? Does your instructor have to be Fit To Fight-Certified to allow sparring under his/her tutelage?

Thanks in advance for all help and replies!

Whenever you feel ready.Ive studied many martial arts.When i took up BJJ they wanted me to wait a few weeks before i got on the mat at end of class to roll(spar)Well needless to say this was not cool with me lol.I wanted a go soon as i got in there on my first day.After about 2 days of my coach watching me foam at the mouth with anticipation to roll,he gave in and turned me loose.After about a month of getting my arse kicked i finally got the hang of it.It was on from there.

im Goin to my first Krav class tomorrow night and hope to spar on the first night lol:)

maddogmean

Cypressed, sorry if my response went a little off topic. At my facility, we start sparring at Level 2. We also have Fit to Fight classes that you need to be at least a level 2 student. Like others have said, ask your instructor when you’re able to spar, and if you’re ready to participate.

I’ve also learned quite a bit by gearing up with the proper safety gear and exchanging with light contact with a partner that I trust. Just light tapping to work on combos, defenses and counters.

jrodf4

When you start sparring its like starting the learning process from step 1 again…. Thats where the learning begins..

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: