Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics When were you ready for your level 1 test?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    2pennytravel

So just for a quick bio, I started Krav in the beginning of june so im getting close to 2 months here and I absolutely love it. I was nervous as hell at first (and still am occasionally), but the more I go to the class the more I can’t wait to get back to learn new things. Anyway, I was curious about the first test. I’ve been told a bunch of times that the first test is about 4-6 hours and it is an insane workout. I was wondering how many months it took all of you to take your 1st test (include # of days per week) and how ready you felt you were for it? What is the pass/fail percentage on the 1st test? Is it more cardio “how much can you handle” type of test or more focused on style?

If you guys could give me some input on this itd be great.

fiend

Re: When were you ready for your level 1 test?

For me it was about 7 months, going about twice a week. It was pretty brutal compared to level 1 classes. That’s putting it mildly. If you have bag classes or fit classes, start taking them. I came in with basically NO athletic shape, so your milage may vary, I feel I had a large hump of getting into shape to get over.

I was able to get through my level 1 classes no problem, but that test was a killer! If I wasn’t taking the bag classes, I’m pretty sure i would have flunked. Things that got me were punching and kicking endurance, and sometimes I botched up chokes, so get the muscle memory on those down.

Make sure technique on basic straight punch/kick to groin are good, I was told they were grading harshly on those.

Good luck! My level 2 test is in November, I intend to take up running and fit classes well before it.

I’m in my ninth month and haven’t tested yet, and don’t feel any especial hurry to do so. I know my weaknesses; have overcome quite a few in the previous months, but alsom know I still have some to work on before I would feel 100% confident of my ability to pass the test. I used to box, so those nasty habits had to be killed. I’m big, so I had to learn that size isn’t everything. I’m strong, so I had to learn that a HUGE KO punch is only good if you can hit your opponent. Now I’m working on speed and balance. A few of the techniques still challenge me in regards to fluidity and effectiveness. I’m still not convinced that they’re all great; I can see inherent problems with some of them. So I have that barrier to overcome as well. Once I ‘buy into’ a couple of the techs that trouble me, then I’m sure I’ll embrace them and feel more confidence in them.

jesse

I’m hoping that I’ll be able to take it sometime soon simply in order to move onto new content as I keep learning. My work and my situation at this point are going to allow me to attend about nine hours a week. I’ve been really out of shape for about twelve years, but my stamina and fitness have been going up well so far. I still have the deadline of six months so I’m wanting to access as much as I can while I can.

guitarded-1

quote Nickolas Cook:

I used to box, so those nasty habits had to be killed.

Can you elaborate on this?

zen4me

I tested about 6 months after starting Krav, I could have tested sooner but didn’t have enough classes at the time (3 months after starting). It was about that point when I started going to Basics and L1 classes, plus mixing in the Bag class and additional work. It’s ironic that one year on from first joining, I’ll be taking the L1 workshop and maybe test again (this time just for sh*ts and giggles though).

Good luck. I’d recommend getting as much work in as possible to up the fitness. My school expected you to give 100% for 4 hours during the workshop and then 110% during the test.

– Kelly

krav-turo

I tested after the first 3 months going about 2-3 times a week. The test was really challenging and took 4 1/2 hours. I felt that I was as ready as I was going to be which is the reality with the testing. You will never been above and beyond ready as you think you will be, by waiting longer and training longer, especially if the testing requires new curriculum. Its based off of chaos and putting you in uncomfortable situations, so how could you honestly be 100% prepared for that. I would just say train hard in class and dont quit at the testing and you will see how good you feel thinking you just got passed that hell.

Head down, rushing in, swinging hooks, and always trying for a knockout punch instead of watching my defense. Of course not all of these are boxing specific, but they are habits I picked up while doing so.

nate

Took it at 3 months after starting, taking 3-4 classes per week. I also started doing cardio / fitness classes one month prior to the test to get better in shape, but you might be able to do without that (it will make it easier in the test though).

Only other thing I’d recommend is doing multiple classes back to back / per day if you can. Doing one lvl 1 class is a huge difference from doing doing a 4 hour test in terms of your overall stamina. At least doing 2 hours of class will give you some stamina boost.

The test will always be hard. It’s a test. It’s not ever supposed to be easy, so train and test when you’re confident. Check with your instructors too.

mara-jade

Hubby and I took our level 1 test after 3 months. We went every day and at times took 2 classes a day. Make sure you work the fitness classes in as much as you can. The techniques are important but if you’re too pooped to last the whole test, you’re in trouble:wav:.

2pennytravel

Thanks for all the responses guys. my school has testing this saturday and I am hoping the next testing is in september/october because I would really like to try taking the test in the 3-4 month range.

Quick off topic question… I am new to this forum and I must have hit a button because every thread I read is upside down. The posts all start at the bottom of the page and then go up from there… how can I get it back to normal? This is really driving me crazy and I would really appreciate it if someone could help me fix it… thanks

midnighter

quote 2PennyTravel:

Thanks for all the responses guys. my school has testing this saturday and I am hoping the next testing is in september/october because I would really like to try taking the test in the 3-4 month range.

Quick off topic question… I am new to this forum and I must have hit a button because every thread I read is upside down. The posts all start at the bottom of the page and then go up from there… how can I get it back to normal? This is really driving me crazy and I would really appreciate it if someone could help me fix it… thanks

Look at the pictures and follow the arrows.
    http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l54/Markymark_016/help.jpg
    http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l54/Markymark_016/help2.jpg
    http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l54/Markymark_016/help3.jpg

Save your changes when done.

Or

User CP —-> Edit Options —-> Thread Display Mode —-> Oldest First

2pennytravel

thanks a lot man.

Thanks everyone for your help and experience with the first test. i’ll be sure to let you guys know when my first test is and when i take it. thanks again

I’ve been doing it for 4 months and I’m testing this Saturday. I’ve been of course working on my form and chokes and such. I’ve also been doing a fair bit of intense cardio including some bag classes at my school. I’ll let you know if it was enough.

So I passed. It was brutal, but I didn’t die, so I guess I was ready.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: