Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    jfox

Hello all…
    I am fairly new at Krav Maga, but have quickly become addicted. I take classes in southeast Virginia at a school that does not use any type of ranking system or tests. They simply teach the curriculum. They test their other classes, but said they wouldn’t rank the Krav class for whatever reason. My question is, can I take these classes at this school and test elsewhere when I feel ready? If so, how would I know what they will be testing since this school/instructor doesn’t exactly follow the testing system? And lastly, where would I test? This is the only school in the area and for practice/learning purposes on a weekly basis, I don’t want to drive any further… So going elsewhere to learn is out of the question.

Thanks for any HELP!

g-v

Out of curiosity, why bother testing somewheres when your own school doesn’t bother splitting classes per level? Personal achievement? Bragging rights?

Just wond’ring.

bradm

I’m curious too. Is the insrtructor at this school a \”certified Krav instructor\” and authorized to administer a test? If not, I might be a little leary about testing someplace else using the criteria your instructor taught.

jfox

Actually its just a personal thing. I don’t have much NEED to test or really any interest in tournements, but I would like to think that I am acheiving something, personally, through the classes.

Yes, the school I go to has certified instructors for Krav. And by all means, the instructor is great at what he does, I’ve learned a lot for someone who was not at all interested in any type of physical activity before. But Krav isn’t all he teaches and I think he may incorporate some other styles into the manuveurs (doesn’t really matter to me either way). From what I gather, thats what Krav is all about anyhow. Thing is, Im in the same class as people who have been doing this for years, learning and practicing the same things. In a way, we are all on the same level, but in reality, nobody really knows what level anyone is on… make sense?

I just figured that if it was possible to test somewhere else, I could better see where I am at. I have really gotten into the classes and I want to track my improvement in the practice for my own personal gain. lol, don’t know who I’d brag to about it, nobody seems to know what Krav Maga is outside of the martial arts crowd…lol.

Thanks for any help

anonymous

Hmmm, so what does a typical class at your place look like? What kind of things are you learning? Sounds like it would mostly be level one stuff, meaning choke defenses and combatives such as simple punches and kicks, maybe some bear hugs? There is a lot more to KM than just that, even weapons defenses, multiple attackers with and without weapons etc, weapons vs other weapons, different environments, obstacles etc.

If there are people in your class, who have been there for years and are still pretty much on the same level you are, then I’m not sure you are getting your money’s worth. Also, personally I don’t like the idea of mixing in other styles and then claim for it to be KM without the approval of anyone from the NTC.

As for testing, maybe you could go somewhere to test for yellow belt, but I guess nothing more if you are not learning the required exercises at your place. Not sure how far another center would be for you, but it may be worth considering to travel a little further and maybe get more committed instruction.

kravmdjeff

JFOX, I got your e-mail this morning. I will be contacting you today (it’s about 2:30pm Eastern). I am the assistant manager and one of the instructors at the facility in Columbia, MD

jfox

Thanks for everyones interest, but Mr Whitman has answered my question. I do want to note here though that I am not questioning my Instructor or his facility. They are certified and very good teachers. It seems that everyone here wanted to question his technique or certification, and maybe I led you to do that by something I said??? I have not had a conversation with my Instructor on \”Whats next\” so to speak, but afetr I do, I will be happy to update you. It is very possible that all he teaches is Level 1 material, I do not know… I am too new at it to really tell you. In hindsight, it is something I should have asked from the beginning, but to tell you the truth, I am enjoying it so much that it really just doesn’t matter! I am interested in testing to level 2, but it seems that I am located too far away from other schools that even if I did, it would be too far away for me to go on a regular basis…

Thanks again!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: