Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Locations Where to train in Cincinnati?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    allen1234

I have been taking krav maga seriously for several years now. However, there is a very special girl in my life who lives on her own in Cincinnati and always refused to learn how to protect herself, insisting that she could rely on the police to do that (much to my dismay). Anyways, last night, somebody broke into her house while she was in bed. Luckily she was not sleeping. She thought she heard someone come in, then she was sure of it when she heard somebody walking up her stairs. She took her cellphone, jumped out of her window, and called 911. He must have heard this because he left in a hurry and was gone by the time police got there. I hate to think what would have happened if she had been asleep at the time (she is known to sleep like a rock).

The creepiest part is that this person went through her things, looked at the receipts in her wallet, etc – but did not take anything. So, in addition to this being a wake up call for her that she, like everybody, should learn to defend herself, there is the more immediate concern that this could be a stalker who will be back. She is getting a security system for her house and is staying with friends for a while. In the meantime, if anybody has any adivce about what I could tell her or where she could train in the area (near the university of cincinnati), I would much appreciate it. I noticed there are no krav gyms there.

Also, she would be willing to carry a weapon. But, it is kind of late to take the time to learn how to use it effectively. Is it worth carrying one at all or do the risks outweigh the benefits without taking sufficient time to train?

Unfortunately, me coming down there for a while is out of the question. I am pretty far from Ohio at the moment. I think everyone involved feels pretty helpless right now.

I think we can all agree that it is unfortunate that she did not take the time to learn self defense a long time ago. Sometimes, I guess people need a wake up call before taking action. I just feel fortunate that the scenario ended as well as it did and I am looking for the best course of action to take for the future (especially now that she is willing to train).

Any thoughts are welcome. I know there is a lot of expertise on this forum and I would love your input.

kirsten

Re: Where to train in Cincinnati?

IMO, don’t bother carrying a gun unless your going to take classes to learn how to use it. I don’t mean consims either. Go to a real range and kill paper with real ammo and a certified NRA+ instructor. They have fantastic courses from beginner level to advanced and specialty courses for women, home invasion and tactical shooting (day/night). Well worth it!

I am glad she was alright and had a cell phone handy. This could have really been bad…

mara-jade

Welcome Allen,

I’m sorry to read about your lady’s awful experience. While I didn’t see any centers in the immediate Cincinnati area, there are other centers posted around Ohio. You may wanna call around and see if there’s any upcoming seminars available. Even a few seminars periodically would help her.

I totally agree with Kirsten. Carrying a gun and having no training in how to use it is worthless for your lady. It’s puts herself as well as others at risk. When things calm down a bit, find a range you two can get to so you let her feel what its like to shoot a real gun. While she says she would be willing to carry a weapon, saying it and doing it are 2 different things. I’m sure you’re aware of the responsibility of carrying a weapon and the possible consequences that go along with it.

I’ve gone through a home invasion course at my center – very real and very eye opening. It really scared the crap out of me as my gun didn’t fire(at Pete’s we use air soft weapons) at the attacker but my Krav kicked in and I escaped. That ‘oh $hit’ moment was one I’d always been scared of but I worked through it.

I’m glad she wasn’t hurt

Very scary!

I would highly recommend this book by Gavin De Becker:

http://www.amazon.com/Gift-Fear-Gavin-Becker/dp/0440226198

Written very much for a female personal security perspective & covers, among other things, the psychology and profiling /risk assessment of stalkers & how to potentially defuse the danger from them.

Btw – in the book, GDB makes a comparison between keeping a loaded gun under your pillow for home security to suddenly waking up behind the steering wheel of a semi going down the highway at 80 MPH. His emphasis is more on the best approach being prevention: hardening the target – for homes, get secure locks for doors, windows, motion sensitive lights etc. Having to fend off someone in your own home is really the worst case scenario.

However – if this was a possible stalker / rapist who broke in, things are on a whole other threat level for your friend. The fact they didn’t steal things suggests they may have had something else on their mind – could have been a terrible outcome to this incident.

As for firearms for personal protection – the advice from others here sounds crucial to me – at the least some basic training in firearm safety, learning in which situations deadly force would be appropriate and practicing with realistic targets would be a must.

dguest-d90

Allen,

I don’t want to get your hopes too high yet but Krav Maga Kentucky is talking to several facilities in the Northern Kentucky/Cincinnati area. In fact if meetings go well next week we may soon be in your area. You can contact me directly if you need further information. Go to kravmagakentucky.com and email us.

Best Regards.

Dion Guest

jonj480

Allen,
    I just moved to the Cincinnati area from Phoenix. I know that Krav is not here yet (I looked), however, Target World, on the North side of town offers instruction on a variety of types of firearms and they have certified NRA instructors. They can even certify you for concealed carry. Hope this helps. Good Luck.

jgm

Hi. I have just joined your page after visiting a good friend in Phoenix. He and his g-friend both are heavy into Krav. I certainly have an interest, but now see that it is not offered in Cincinnati. Is there a true expectation that it may be offered in the future?

Thanks, J.G.

mara-jade

Welcome J.G.

New centers do open up periodically and new KMWW licensees do post here. Best bet is to keep checking here or on the main kravmaga.com site for new locations.

https://kravmaga.com/index.php?option=com_xtremelocator&Itemid=179

Allen, I am very sorry to hear your predicament. I do agree with others that carrying a weapon would put your gf at more risk than its worth, especially untrained. As for centers in Cincinnatti, we have no official plane here at HQ to open one yet. There are other school in Ohio, pleae take a look at the locations tab on the website kravmaga.com. The map there is interactive and will allow you to type in a zip code and see where the closest location is. Hope this helps. Good luck and train hard!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: