Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books Which knuckles to hit with?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jaretjenkins

I’m new to Krav and have been wondering which knuckles does Krav prefer to hit with. I’ve seen a couple of posts saying to use the index and middle, just the middle, or middle and ring. My instructor says to use the first and make sure the index knuckle is in line with the crook of the elbow.

thanks

giant-killer

We always hit with the first two knuckles.

mike-g

The Index and Middle finger knuckles.

kmcat

Index and Middle like the other say.

It was explained to me that if you hit with a more traditional boxer’s style you are hitting with more of the other fingers (middle to pinky). By doing that you are highly likely to break the pinky finger. This is a common bone break for traditional boxing strikes.

The top two fingers (index and middle) are more structurally stronger than the others.

You can also use the palm strike which is very strong even less likely to break, but has a slightly shorter reach.

kravjeff

Re:

[quote=\”KMCat\”]The top two fingers (index and middle) are more structurally stronger than the others.quote]

Agree, and would add: if aligned properly (i.e. your wrist isn’t bent) the bones of the hand (including the knuckles) are in line with the bones of the forearm, maximizing force, and protection against injury.

Also agree that plam heel strikes are a more than viable option.

FWIW – I had (and still have if I don’t train for a time) a tough time striking with the \”proper\” knuckles. I was taught that striking without your fist being at a 90 degree angle to the floor upon impact, will help to align hand and arm, and you’ll \”always\” strike with the correct knuckles. Worked wonders for me.

In case you’re having a difficult time envisioning this, imagine throwing a straight punch; upon impact your palm (though hand is closed) is down, towards the floor, or parallel to the floor … Now with that same strike, \”open\” it up a bit on impact – More accurately, don’t allow it to fully \”close.\” Your thumb will be \”up\” a bit in relation to the floor (at roughly 45 degrees). Start slow, and not with full strength on a pad or bag before going hard… Though it didn’t happen to me, I imagine that under, or over rotation could cause injury.

clfmak

You can align your knuckles with the wrist in two ways- either with the bottom three in line with the wrist, or with the top two in line with the wrist. Different styles make use of different surfaces. Generally I like the top two, but I use the bottom three when jamming a vertical fist underneath the chin. In my opinion, people make too big a deal about this. If you put the time into hard bagwork, you can effectively use either method. If you don’t put the time into hard bagwork, you may run into trouble with either method.

Side note- in one of Ken Shamrock’s books, he recommends using the whole fist so the force isn’t concentrated in the kuckles, which could be damaged. I don’t think its a good idea, but its an interesting perspective.

jaretjenkins

thanks!

g-v

Re: Which knuckles to hit with?

quote \”jaretjenkins\:

I’m new to Krav and have been wondering which knuckles does Krav prefer to hit with. I’ve seen a couple of posts saying to use the index and middle, just the middle, or middle and ring. My instructor says to use the first and make sure the index knuckle is in line with the crook of the elbow.

thanks

Well, hate to sound like a broken record but….if you’re wearing wraps and gloves while striking bag or opponent, it hardly matters what knuckles you use so much as how you allign your wrist too keep it from rolling or hyperextending. As for training your hands for real combat, you ain’t doing it at all while wearing them wraps and gloves.

I personally agree with Ken Shamrock btw, if it must be a closed-hand strike, whole fist over concentrating on the first two knuckles, but I suppose this various from person to person.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: