Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Which long (training) gun?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    edsko

Hi,

I’m looking at getting a long gun for training. There is a distributor for ASP Red Gun in Ireland, so I can get the guns of them. However, which gun should I get? What type of long training gun do people prefer for training? The MP5/AK47/machine gun type or the Remington/shotgun type?

Thanks,

Edsko

kirsten

Re: Which long (training) gun?

Hi Edsko,

Here are a couple suggestions for your long gun supplies. Get a couple large wooden dowels from your local hardware store, they make great long gun training aids and can be used for blunt object training. Eventually you will want several different styles of ASP or Rings Blue Guns. Shotguns, AR-15’s, M4, AK47 (it has the extended mag and is a great training point) and even an SMG / MP5 / UZI or two. You will want both a pistol grip and a standard stock as a variety with any of the long guns. But these are further down the road.

BUT I would start with either a shotgun (standard grip not pistol) or a Colt- M4, CAR 15, or their AR-15 (personal favorite! it is an excellent training gun). Also, may want to look for a “Ring’s Blue Gun” dealer as they are less expensive and just as durable.

Just as a training safety hint: Tape over or saw off the front sight on the long guns… many a forehead have been gashed open with it, as it is HUGE.

Hope that helps!

edsko

Hi Kirsten,

Thanks for all the suggestions! Much appreciated. As these guns are quite expensive, we’ll have to start with one for now. If you had to choose *one* long gun, would you opt for a shotgun or a machine gun? Does either have a training advantage? I have little experience with the long gun defenses, so I don’t know — but it seems to me that the machine guns with their big mags might be more difficult to deal with than a shotgun where there is no such mag? As in, when you train with a shotgun you won’t have to deal with the mag, and so you might find it difficult when defending against a machine gun, but if you train with a machine gun and then defend against a shotgun, the *absence* of the mag might not bother you? Is there any truth to that?

kirsten

Yes, with say the AK47 where it has an extended mag, there is some consideration as you will see when giving combatives but it is a simple fix. However, if I could only pick one to start then go with the Colt AR-15, its standard mag poses no difficulties for combatives. You can use wooden dowels to supplement and they will give you the same effect as a simple shotgun without the expense for now.

So my suggestion is Colt AR-15, a few bucks of wooden dowels, and your good to go for long gun training.

Next as money allows find something with a pistol grip, then add from there with whatever looks fun to train with. 🙂

Check out http://www.copsplus.com they ship outside the US and often have free shipping on orders over $150.00.

la-revancha

quote Kirsten:

Check out http://www.copsplus.com they ship outside the US and often have free shipping on orders over $150.00.

Holy Christ, what a cool website!!!

edsko

Ok, great. Thanks for all the suggestions, very helpful!

russell

quote La Revancha:

Holy Christ, what a cool website!!!

DITTO!! great website notsure on the other items but great prices on the knives!

kirsten

They sometimes sell out because the prices are so inexpensive, so don’t order in a rush- your item may be on back order. But with the free shipping and low prices it’s worth the wait. I find them great to work with compared to other companies like http://www.galls.com, which isn’t a bad company… just more spendy and hard to get a hold of a rep.

Happy shopping!

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Hi Ed

Might I also suggest if you go with the AR/AK taking a dremel tool to the sharper edges including the site. All my personal training weapons are shaved and have rounded corners. The wooden dowel is great for teaching large classes when first starting out.

With the large clips on the machine guns during the transition it is easy to swipe it across the torso and give a nasty gash from the clips sharp edge. Grinding the corners solves this issue.

Safety in training!

edsko

quote Kirsten:

As it turns out, the website you recommended do not ship abroad (canada and non-contiguous US only, I believe). Fortunately, there is an ASP red gun distributor in Ireland (http://www.danieltechnologies.ie) so we’ve ordered a Colt AR-15 from them — hopefully it’ll arrive soon 🙂 Thanks again for the suggestions!

edsko

quote CJs Dad:

Hi Ed,

Might I also suggest if you go with the AR/AK taking a dremel tool to the sharper edges including the site. All my personal training weapons are shaved and have rounded corners. The wooden dowel is great for teaching large classes when first starting out.

With the large clips on the machine guns during the transition it is easy to swipe it across the torso and give a nasty gash from the clips sharp edge. Grinding the corners solves this issue.

Safety in training!

Thanks for the recommendation. I’m not sure I’d have the heart to start dremeling to my shiny new Colt 🙂 I’ll have to keep it shiny for at least a week first 🙂

kirsten

You get whacked in the forehead from an overzealous or tired partner, you will be willing to gnaw it off with your own teeth… after you get 12 stitches. 🙂

edsko

quote Kirsten:

You get whacked in the forehead from an overzealous or tired partner, you will be willing to gnaw it off with your own teeth… after you get 12 stitches. 🙂

Ok ok I hear you 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: