Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Who have you gotten to train with?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    kevinmack

I was trying to make a mental list of all the people who I have gotten the chance to learn from. Some of these people were my long term instructors…some were short term and a few were from a just a one or two day seminar. If there is an asterisk it means I trained with them either long term or short term. I am sure I am forgetting some and this doesn’t include all the great assistant instructors and training partners I had over the years or the one/off classes I dropped in on. I also cant remember my first two Karate instructors names from when I was a kid. So..who have you gotten to train with in Krav Maga or whatever?

Alan Feldman*( Krav Maga)
    David Kahn*( Krav Maga)
    Rick Blistein (Krav Maga)
    Ernie Kirk (Krav Maga)
    Haim Gidon (Krav Maga)
    Yigal Arbiv (Krav Maga)
    Darren Levin (Krav Maga)
    Gabi Noah (Krav Maga)
    Eyal Yanilov (Krav Maga)
    Boaz Aviram (Krav Maga)
    Avi Moyal (Krav Maga)
    Nir Maman (Krav Maga)
    Haim Zut (Krav Maga)

Jared Weiner* (Jiu Jitsu)
    Wilson Reis* (Jiu Jitsu)
    Sharon Bonewicz (Jiu Jitsu)
    Rosendo Diaz (Jiu Jitsu)
    Royler Gracie (Jiu Jitsu)
    Ryron Gracie (Jiu Jitsu)
    Leo Dalla (Jiu Jitsu)
    Lloyd Irvin (Jiu Jitsu)
    Matt Thornton (JKD/MMA/BJJ)
    Adam Singer (JKD/MMA)
    Paul Myatovich* (JKD/MMA/BJJ)
    Erik Paulson (JKD/MMA/CSW)
    Paul Vunak (JKD)
    Jim Winterbottom (JKD/Kali)
    Rodney King (JKD/Boxing/Muay Thai/CM)
    Chris Van Der Waal* sp? (Dutch Style Muay Thai/Kyokushin Karate)

Re: Who have you gotten to train with?

At KMW Sherman Oaks, my main teachers have been Mike Burton, Christian M/La Revancha, and now Sean/CJ’s Dad (current concepts include footwork, tracking, control points, general badassery). Otherwise I had a very excellent basically half hour private with David Kahn last year (which deepened my understanding of Krav Maga in ways I’m still discovering, specifically the IKMA concept of retzev/continuous combat motion, or what I think my school might call eliminating gaps while unleashing a consecutive and varied array of brutal combatives so as to overwhelm an attacker/opponent — the Hebrew term being a bit more succinct perhaps???), and have taken a few classes with IKM E1 Tsahi Shemesh (Gabi Noah’s US guy near Columbia U.), who I’m happy to say is now my sister’s P1 (Level 1) teacher.

Also trained boxing with Michael Olajide Sr. for a few months back in the day. :box:

bear34

Avi Moyal
    Shlomi Moyal
    Israel Tamir
    Tamir Gilad………………All IKMF guys.

wds2

I haven’t had the opportunity to train with anyone famous, but when I was in LA this past August for a work trip I worked out at the KMWW headquarters and was impressed with how friendly, accomodating, and welcoming the staff was there. Can’t say enough good things about them.

kmman

Kevin, how much of your JKD is in your KM? Has there been an influence? If so, what are the main influences or things you held onto?

bradm

I had a chance to attend a Bas Rutten seminar many years ago when I was training in Maietta, GA.

kevinmack

Honestly? Little to none. I only got in to JKD for the stickifighing. So it was JKD concepts.I am still into sticks,knife and other weapons but I dont really mix it in to the KM program. We are launching an open weapons program later this year so that I can explore that interest. The only thing I add to the KM from that is the concept of “defanging the snake” and going after the weapon hand when we stick fight.
    Any influence JKD may have had on me is found in my approach to training and teaching. Keeping it modern and relevant but also respecting it as an art,the drive to learn and explore the depth of the techniques and concepts…..and also the informal culture. I also trained with the SBG guys at time when some of them still flew under the JKD banner somewhat despite being mainly a MMA gym(at a time when MMA gyms really didnt exist).They were the first to have a curriculum of boxing/muay thai for standup…MT and Greco roman wrestling for clinch and BJJ/wrestling for ground.
    My approach to teaching/coaching is very influenced by Matt Thornton and SBG. The only thing I really add to my KM syllabus is in the realm of the clinch and some of that comes from my SBG experience.
    You wont find me teaching any Jun Fan or wing chun stuff. I dont really feel the need to add anything(except clinch) to my Krav Maga teaching in regards to techniques. That being said…I bring in drills from a variety of sources boxing,kickboxing,wrestling,sumo,fencing,judo,football,tai chi and other places. Tonight I even based my beginner class on strategies and concepts from the game of Chess.

quote KMMAN:

Kevin, how much of your JKD is in your KM? Has there been an influence? If so, what are the main influences or things you held onto?
    lennykravitz

Impressive list there Kevin!

If you had IMI on that list you’d be close to yelling Bingo!

wds2

quote KMMAN:

I used to train in wing chun, the basis for JKD and there are a few concepts and moves that translate to KM, like the 360 defense, simultaneous attack and defense, moving off and defending the centerline.

I learned some good stuff, but wish I had done KM instead.

garyq

Based in Scotland Ive trained with Tamir Gilhad, looking forward to October to train with Israel Cohen and in November with Amnon Darsa.
    Good times ahead, good times.

dudelo560

Just had a gun/car jacking self defense seminar with Amir Perets yesterday!

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote Dudelo560:

Just had a gun/car jacking self defense seminar with Amir Perets yesterday!

I bet that was fun! Hes one of my favorite training partners.

dudelo560

He was amazing, very fun & informative…& his physical abilities are ridiculus

don

I dunno why but he reminds me of a younger Jean Claude Van Damme… 😀

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote Don:

I dunno why but he reminds me of a younger Jean Claude Van Damme… 😀

LOL, Kind of with his accent and mannerisms, but physically he’s much wider/bigger. Not to mention intimidating if you don’t know him.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: