Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    guerriere

About KM and KMDC in particular, yeah what she said! I can’t believe I don’t get bored. I’ve never been able to sustain a fitness routine more than two or three months. There are only so many times I can run around the block (or worse — circles in a gym!) of jump around like a ninny or go back and forth in a pool without wanting to blow my brains out!

Damn, she did say it all, but it’s true. KMDC really glows in the dark.

I never got anything about sports culture (don’t watch it, don’t understand it, don’t like rules, never saw a cute uniform – nobody take offense please! I’m just a restless girl who couldn’t open pasta jars) so that’s why I love Krav. Honestly, I was attracted by the eclectic philosophy (at least as compared to those of conventional sports) and the extraordinary circumstances it sprung from. Now, I love the imaginative/practical aspect of reality-based, \”anything goes\” situational awareness alongside the development of concrete technical skills and mental fortitude. I love the accelerated learning curve, the possibilities and random unknowns of practical application, coming up against all kinds of shapes, sizes, and minds, and knowing that the ultimate aim isn’t the blue ribbon at a dog-and-pony show. Oh, almost forgot about the belt test there… yeah, I love the belt test too. Seriously. My instructors rock.

It’s also fascinating to mention Krav when I’m on a date. Either they want to attack me with a steak knife or they start driving faster.

Well,

I’ve always been interested in martial arts and self defense issues.
    I’ve got a background in boxing, jiu jitsu, mma, hapkido.

What I missed most in tradditional martial arts was live training.
    I was quite an asshole as an adolescent so i had my share of fights.
    The static situations of performing a technique in hapkido and jiu jitsu never really appealed to me. I though the stylic aproach would not work against a boxer for example.

I boxed since i was 14 so i used to compare everything with that. i still box.
    i love boxing and other martial sports because of the live training.
    if you practise defenses in boxing and you’re too late you really get hit, no mistake about that.

but boxing is not complete, so as a self defense system it’s not sufficient.
    so i bought books and stuff about self defense including the book by imi and eyal about armed attacks. i read it and put it back in the closet.

then i read about krav maga seminars in the netherlands and i joined.
    The instructor was Eyal Yanilov. head instructor of the ikmf.
    He is the biggest reason i’m so enthousiastic about krav maga.

It was live training (not too live cause it was a seminar) but still self defense oriented. Eyal was able to answer all my questions.

There was this option to follow an instructors course.
    I joined and got more enthousiastic every day I trained it.

I failed the course however because my level was not good enough techniquewise. The biggest problems are bad habits from other systems.

But it has benefits to fail because I get more training for free until I pass.
    I recently went to Budapest where I learned many new things including 3d party protection and much more. I hope next time I’ll pass though 🙂

simpso1j

Why Krav?

I do Krav so I can learn how to defend myself without thinking, pure and simple. All of the other benefits of Krav is all gravy.

johnnyspud

I’ve found that my sparring sucks in traditional martial arts – I’m hesitant to blitz and terrible about keeping my guard up. The Krav classes do a lot more contact drills and sparring. I’ve got a gaping hole in my skill set and am looking to correct it.

Plus Iím looking for something a little more visceral and instinctive to broaden my training.

theironman

Why I’m in Krav

After growing up and teaching in a traditional school and earning my 2 degrees after 14 years, I discovered that Krav is to-the-point and is a helluva workout. I enjoy the hell out of it and its simplicity. There’s not a whole lot I need to re-learn.

Krav combatives are free-flowing and there’s no ‘box’ that you’re put into. I also appreciate the stress drills. I think there’s things in the cirriculum that have gotten diluted in most schools thesedays.

Last December, I just walked into the school, monitored the instructor, did an intro for a week, and I was hooked.

So to answer your question, I learned how to fight so I wouldn’t have to fight. To win the fight with no fight is the highest level anyway.

Cheers!

lcash

Well. I work for Halliburton Energy Services and 2 years ago was on assignment in Nigeria when i was taken as a hostage in a Jungle 40 miles up the Niger river. We were held for most of the day and the issues were resolved with no one hurt. It wakes a person up to just how dangerous a world we live in. I was there to train the local workers how to work with new technology in the Oil Field. The situation could have gotten bad real quick as these men had machine guns, pistols, knives and sticks. It was then I decided that I needed a fighting art for my own personal safety. I have been taking Krav for a year now!

Lcash

otto-mcnab

Well, I took Tae kwon do as a teenager and enjoyed it for a while. But I sorta drifted away from it as I got older. Plus, I wasn’t really interested in all the formalities that went with it.

I’m in my mid 30’s now and I first heard of Krav Maga from a novel called SPLINTER CELL (based on a computer game by Tom Clancy). In it, the main charachter is a secret agent guy and he’s into Krav Maga. I wonder if the author is too because there’s basically a commercial for Krav in the book. That is, he does a very good job of describing it’s origens, practices, uses and benefits. Well, I was looking to get into something physical and useful and KM seemed to fit perfectly. Luckily, a few months after I first heard of KM, a studio opened up 20 minutes away from where I live. Now I’m there as often as a married teacher with two small kids can be. 😀

jerry68

I do Krav because I am too old (slow) for boxing , BJJ got to be too hard on my joints, and I had already spent years trying to \”unlearn\” TKD. Krav works for me because it is a good workout, and it techniques are solid. Often, people will bash Krav because of the workout aspect, but I have seen a lot of situations where the \”better\” fighter was beaten by a \”lesser\” fighter in better shape.

leftie79

It seems like most of you have taken TKD (or another martial art) before taking Krav. I too, started in TKD, got bored and then my school introduced KM. I took it up the first night and have been going ever since. Just like everyone else, I am taking it to learn how to defend myself in a quick and simplistic way. I’m at the level also where I have been learning gun/knife/stick defense, which could come in handy someday (but I hope to never have to get in a situation where I have to use my km skills.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: