Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Why I Can’t Use Krav

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ice-rat

I love Krav Maga..Been taking it for about 7 months now, when my busy schedule permits….

But it’s useless for me…..

Let me explain. I work in a Crisis Unit of a mental health facility. Hands on stuff involving restraint, breaking up fights getting attcked-lol

Thing is, the welfare of these clients is my responsibility…So there’s no laying into them with groin kicks, elbows etc…Krav too effective?

Yeah-in this case. It’s just not designed for it…Which is ok. Great system-but not set up for \”controling\”…

However, for me, looks like its back to hapkido…Cause maiming clients is bad for business, they say

dave

So if you are attacked by a mental patient you can’t defend yourself? Even if you feel your life is in danger?

Or better yet, why not just use what you learn in Krav to break a hold or block a punch, etc, without a counter attack. You don’t have to mame an attacker if you don’t want to….its just a nice option to have.

Even if you have to strike the groin to break a hold, sometimes a slight tap is worse than a full contact punch (i know from experience 😳 )

I’m not in your shoes though, so I can’t really tell you what to do. But if it were me……I would say my safety comes first.

clfmak

Krav should still be good for developing your body awareness and various combative attributes. but I can see where the hapikdo techniques may be more suitable.

I’m curious- what techniqes do you find the most practical for your line of work?

Re: Why I Can’t Use Krav

I think you are right that a lot of techniques and tactics designed for civilian use are not of great use to specific professional problems.

I do think jiu jitsu, hapkido etc can help if your krav instructor doesn’t have a solution for you.

however…..
    There are a lot of solutions in krav maga. krav maga for police and security has controlling techniques, breaking up fights etc.

Maybe you can attend seminars in that direction if that is allowed and possible in your area.

Are there any krav instructors in your area trained in police tactics etc.?
    Maybe it’s a good idea to contact your trainer or thye national trainingcentre for this.

jerry68

You are correct. Krav is great for self-defense, but not for use institutional use. You would be better off finding specialized training in joint manipulation, holds, locks, etc. Do an internet search for police specific compliance training.

emil

Hey icerat, I worked in an inpatient psych unit for 4 years, prior to Krav. We were under similar restrictions not to strike under any circumstances. However, I think that you can indeed continue to benefit from Krav.
    One, while we couldn’t strike-the patients tried to hit us all the time, in fact my first week there, I female managed to jump up and kick me in my throat. So Krav will teach you how to defend striking attacks.
    Two, some patients would try to tackle/bearhug/choke staff. Again, you will learn how to defend and most importantly balance yourself in those scenarios. Just think when you’re training-instead of knees and elbows, try to figure out a way to control the person. The difference between most Krav scenarios and your situation is that most times you will have back up(I hope). Also, in most Krav scenarios you’re taught to get away, but on the unit you can’t get away, you have to stay and control the person.
    Three, at least on my unit, from time to time we’d have defend weapon attacks:chairs, sticks, even home-made shanks etc. Krav is definitely great for this.
    Four, most confrontations I’ve ever been on the unit, involved yelling, bystanders,stress,agression etc. Again, all things that you practice in Krav.

So, all that to say, I wish I knew Krav when I was there. Hopefully you’ll stick it out as well, albeit with a changed emphasis.

dalamar

I second jerry68. Most likely with your position, any type of possible injury to the patients means huge liability on your part. As far as I know, KM is not strong in control and submision techniques, it’s a no nonsense quick elimination system. It’s meant to cause damage, eliminate a threat, get you out, and fast.

If your job causes you to be \”continuously engaged\” with a subject, you need to find something similar to Aikido, JJ, or hapkido.

clfmak

I asked this in the law enforcement/military section. but it got no hits, and you two have experience- have you used small joint manipulations on really enraged people? By this I mean fingers, thumbs, and even the wrist. I recently got a good chin na video, and it got me thinking. I’ve used these to good effect, but never on a really resistant person.

emil

in my experience small joint manipulation did not work once on anyone who believed that they were fighting for their life. Let me differentiate here, basically we had two types of scenarios, people that were defending themselves and people that pissed off at staff or another patient. the first group would not give up and fight until the meds kicked in, up to 5-10 minutes. the second group would usually stop once they knew they couldn’t win. the only thing that worked was having your weight and weight of others on top of person, who is preferably on their stomach. many times while subduing, extremities would get twisted to the point of poping to no effect at the moment. later, once things cooled down, we’d find out that joints were dislocated and fingers were broken,ours included…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: