Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Why punch with knuckles?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    timmmy

Can somebody explain to me why do so many martial arts (including those who are geared towards self defense, like krav maga) teach how to punch with knuckles? I’ve heard quite a few stories when somebody broke their hand when punching someone in the head which I think is the last thing you want to do in combat.
    Also there is a chance that you can catch a disease from them if you hurt your knuckles.

So with that in mind why do so many martial/self defense arts teach you to hit with knuckles instead of using a hammer fist or a palm strike?

I’ve been wondering about this quite a while and just don’t get it. Am I missing something?

It’s the same with throwing an elbow. It’s a very hard bone but if you hit them in their skull or their jaw you can still injure yourself.

P.S.: I’m not trying to put down any martial art or self defense system, I’m just wondering what is the reason behind it.

don

Re: Why punch with knuckles?

Why do Chinese people eat rice?

timmmy

quote Don:

Why do Chinese people eat rice?

Very helpful, thank you.

maddogmean

For this very reason, hammer fist and palm strikes are taught early on in KM. For many beginners, throwing a proper punch is new and injury would be likely. The straight punch has also been modified to allow the top two knuckles to be inline with the rest of bone of the arm, making it better for unprotected hands.

If I ever had to use KM in a street situation, I would probably choose to use a palm strike rather than straight punch for this very reason. But a knuckle-based strike would need to be used in a hook or uppercut.

In any of these strikes the risk of injury is always a possibility. But I’m willing to risk a broken elbow or knuckle in hopes of preventing a trip to the ER or morgue.

don

quote timmmy:

can Somebody Explain To Me Why Do So Many Martial Arts (including Those Who Are Geared Towards Self Defense, Like Krav Maga) Teach How To Punch With Knuckles?

no One Here Is Going To Answer For Someone/something Else – If You Want A Comprehensive Answer, You Need To Contact All Those Martial Arts/martial Arts Instructors And Ask Each One.

if “so Many” Are Teaching It, Don’t You Think There Just Might Be Something To It?

I’ve Heard Quite A Few Stories When Somebody Broke Their Hand When Punching Someone In The Head Which I Think Is The Last Thing You Want To Do In Combat.

as Has Been Pointed Out, Any Time You Strike Someone/something With A Personal Weapon (a Body Part), You Run The Risk Of Injury – Any Time.

Also There Is A Chance That You Can Catch A Disease From Them If You Hurt Your Knuckles.

any Time You Engage In A Fight With Someone With A Communicable Disease, You Run The Risk Of Catching That Disease – Any Time.

So With That In Mind Why Do So Many Martial/self Defense Arts Teach You To Hit With Knuckles Instead Of Using A Hammer Fist Or A Palm Strike?

again, You Would Need To Ask All The Different “martial/self Defense Arts” For Your Answer(s). How Many Other Martial Arts Or Self Defense Forums Have You Asked This Questions And What Have Your Responses Been?

I’ve Been Wondering About This Quite A While And Just Don’t Get It. Am I Missing Something?

seems To Me You’re Missing Out On Real Training – Not Just Sitting Around At Home, Looking Things Up Online, And Thinking About Stuff – Going Out And Hitting Stuff And Getting Hit.

It’s The Same With Throwing An Elbow. It’s A Very Hard Bone But If You Hit Them In Their Skull Or Their Jaw You Can Still Injure Yourself.

again, Any Time You Make Hard Physical Contact, There Is A Possibility Of Injury – Any Time. Go Out And Get Some Real Training. You’re Talking About Swimming Without Ever Having Gotten Into The Pool.

P.s.: I’m Not Trying To Put Down Any Martial Art Or Self Defense System, I’m Just Wondering What Is The Reason Behind It.

Embedded…

ETA – website glitch on the capitalization

don

Hey timmmy, just get out there and train. It will make more sense once you start practicing. As you have already noticed and MDM has reiterated, there are various ways to strike/impact with different parts of your body. Try them all out, against different targets, under different circumstances, and see what works best for you. If you’d rather not hit with a fist, don’t. For straight ahead striking, a fist will give you more reach than an open hand or a hammer fist or an elbow. Finger jabs will give you a little more reach than a fist but your extended or even semi-extended fingers won’t be as “sturdy” as a closed fist. And there are other positions, ranges, situations where a fist might not be the fastest or most effective tool either. Go and train and you’ll figure it out…

five04zog

Hi,

I think this is a good question. Training can be as simplistic or as complicated as you would like. If you are interested in simple (K.I.S.S.) defensive tactics, then you may choose to keep punching out of your tool bag.

As things get more advanced, you will need to consider fist/knuckle conditioning and targets, etc. Back in my youth, I trained other martial arts. A requirement for Black Belt (Hapkido at the time) was board-breaking skills. Now today at 44 I think this is a BIG, BIG, waste of time. I just don’t think it was/is a good use of training time. The only thing I’m looking to break now is the seal on my beer (just kidding).

As a DT Instructor, I teach my LEO’s Hard on soft (i.e. fist to stomach), soft on hard (i.e. palm strike to head/face). It also looks less aggressive on the nightly news. Just ask Bas Rutten if you can knock someone out with a palm strike. Bas did it all the time. That being said, I’m no Bas Rutten. Still, it’s fight stopping proven skill. However, I still train/ practice punches.

As a BJJ guy, I like open hand strikes in a ground and pound/grappling scenario. It is easy to mess-up your hand on some dud’s head. I need my hands for joint-locks and such (& opening my beer). Long story short, I train both but think open hand is a bit more sensible overall. Good training… ☺

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

In the beginning levels we teach several different strikes, palm, hammer, closed fist punch. They are all just tools in the box.

We also teach head-butt’s but I’ve never pulled that tool out simply cause I really don’t like headaches. Some guys love them and integrate them into each self defense technique as part of their normal combatives string. Because of my Muay Thai background I like Knees and Elbows. I can follow them up with 5 Swords (palm strikes) or Raining Hammers (hammer fists) because of my Kenpo BB. I’m comfortable with those because those are tools I trained many years with.

The average person however instinctually (one of our KM principles) will punch. That’s just a fact, people want to punch things. Well women want to slap things but that’s not a palm heel strike either.

We build on those instincts and mold them into proper techniques.

Its your toolbox, you choose the one to use. The situation and your training will usually dictate the proper response.

jjbklb

quote MadDogMean:

…… But a knuckle-based strike would need to be used in a hook or uppercut.

No problem with doing a ‘bitch-slap’ as a hook option

dkatman

quote CJs Dad:

The average person however instinctually (one of our KM principles) will punch. That’s just a fact, people want to punch things.

I think this said it for me personally….It is so satisfying….well, in class.

I have always used the saying that nobody ever broke a hand by hitting someone with an elbow.

Dave

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: