Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Women’s self-defense class update

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    stevetuna

About five weeks ago, I posted about a free seminar that our studio was putting on concerning women’s self-defense. The free seminar was continued for four additional classes, the last of which took place last night. It’s been a great success. Our goal is to turn this into a Krav Maga class in the long run. So far, so great!

We discovered a couple of things while doing these classes. One is that the women that we spoke with were intimidated at the thought of going to our normal Krav Maga classes. It’s hard to know where this apprehension comes from, as none of them had ever been to one! Regardless, our room is now full due to the fact that the self-defense classes, all based upon teaching KM, is exclusively women. Hey – whatever works, right?

We have started an introduction to KM class on late Friday afternoons, usually a dead spot on the schedule. We urged the Wednesday women to try it and now that class is booming, too (men and women participating). We are also cross-marketing to the ladies, urging them to try our various fitness classes (“try any class free for one week”). This has also resulted in an increase in membership as some of the women are now involved in our bag, all-around fitness and cardio classes. We rewarded one woman who took it upon herself to be a recruiter for the self-defense class. She works at a bank and has brought eight or nine of her co-workers in to try our class. Finally, we make sure to mention our km-X classes and discuss how well the kids are doing. Some of the km-X moms are in the self-defense classes and can elaborate on this for us. This increases our exposure in these areas, too.

I’m encouraged by the inroads we’ve made with women. We stress how the women are much more likely to need KM than men (statistically speaking, of course). This has been a great expansion for our facility. Thanks to all here who provided advice to us about things to include in this class. It’s really working and someday may save a woman from serious harm. I am grateful.

mara-jade

Re: Women’s self-defense class update

Congrats Steve – glad to read it’s going well.thumbsup

I was one of those intimidated at first, never mind the cardio classes had hubby and I dying when we startedrofl2. I had to get past the ‘HIT THEM ALREADY’. You know, quit hitting like a GIRL:D:

I can say I’ve gotten better at hitting – my hitting during sparring needs work still. Hubby can attest to my hitting as I gave him a bloody lip last night while doing a stick defense thumbsup

guerriere

Just compare the way the men talk on this forum to the way the women who talk to you about krav talk! For some men KM is a macho fighting sport, which is intimidating. I was pretty strongly socialized against fighting as a child even though I wrestled with my brothers. In the beginning, using my fists made me giggle because until krav I’d never ever hit anything or anyone with my fists. How many males can say that?

The kinds of scenarios we worry about are different, too. I’m not worried about the bully at the local bar. I’m more worried about this guy:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/07/AR2008020701182.html?hpid=moreheadlines

(YAY! he got caught finally!) How many men worry about being groped (or worse)?

stevetuna

I repeatedly urge the women to get in touch with their inner bitch… (seems to work, too!)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: