Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    reaper1

I was punching a heavy bag yesterday and it felt like my punches were weak and my wrist buckled so i put it down to i have weak wrists.
    Just wondering what you guys do to strengthen your wrists?

hm2pac

Re: Wrist strength

Welcome Reaper1, I’m a newbie here myself, but I have a bit of experience that I can share.

First off you need to start with having a healthy set of wrists. I don’t say this in jest. Do your wrists regularly buckle, fold, or give out when your are using your hands for anything? If you have any ongoing wrist /health problems, you’ll want to get them checked out before committing to any exercise program.

You’ll probably find that many people will recommend wrist wraps and proper gloves when punching a bag. Proper mechanics will also help. Make sure you are landing with the knuckles of your index and middle fingers and that your wrist is straight.

Rolling your shoulder over and bringing it up to the side of your ear as you make contact will also help with a number of things:

1. The side of your head is protected
    2. Your fist rolls over and the index/middle knuckles are pushed ahead of the little/ring knuckles.
    3. Power.

Now…..on to your question of wrist strengthening.

I recommend anything that works your forearm and grip.

Wrist curls and extensions are OK. Pull-Ups will give you a very strong grip.

For keeping the wrist straight I recommend Push-Ups on your fingertips, or on fists. This allows your wrist to work a load while maintaining alignment.

Just my 2 cents…..you should be getting a lot of good advice on this board.

reaper1

Thanks HM2PAC
    My wrists are healthy I’m new to Krav so i think it’s my technique, i’m not use to using a vertical fist. I use to do push ups on my fists but haven’t done them for a while i’ll start doing them again and see if that helps.
    Cheers for the help mate

hm2pac

Glad I could be of some help.

kirsten

Good advice, but no matter what… wrap your wrists when you train on the heavy bag or with mitts. Your asking for an injury if you don’t…

skelegirl

Thanks for this information as I was about to ask a similar question. I broke my wrist when I was a kid (twice) and yesterday we were working with hammer strikes. And when I finished with class, I noticed that the side of my wrist was bruised and swollen. DH and I sat down to examine my strike and noticed that I have a slight twist at contact so I am hitting at midhand to past the wrist (which I understand to be incorrect form). I have been wrapping my hands but I think I need to extend the wrapping down a little further than I have been doing

kirsten

quote Skelegirl:

Thanks for this information as I was about to ask a similar question. I broke my wrist when I was a kid (twice) and yesterday we were working with hammer strikes. And when I finished with class, I noticed that the side of my wrist was bruised and swollen. DH and I sat down to examine my strike and noticed that I have a slight twist at contact so I am hitting at midhand to past the wrist (which I understand to be incorrect form). I have been wrapping my hands but I think I need to extend the wrapping down a little further than I have been doing

You also will find that you need to build that area up, as its a pretty new striking area for most. Take some athletic tape and wrap it around your wrist bone, going from center, to above it, to center and back down to under it. Remember to clench your fist while you do this. It will flex your muscles and help prevent you from wrapping it too tightly. Then wrap your hands with your wrist wraps. You may want to use fingerless MMA gloves over all of this for added protection.

hm2pac

This website gives a few good demonstrations on various wrist wrapping tech’s.

Boxing Gyms and Clubs

jl

Skelegirl,
    All the advice given is spot on. Refer to Kirstens post on taping the wrist first then applying wraps/gloves.
    One more thing that you can try to strengthen your wrist.

Look up PowerBall Gyroscope at
    http://www.nsdball.com. It will strengthen the wrist and forearms and will also affect the shoulder region. Let me know if you order this. I have made some drills you can do with it.

I have had one for a few years and it has made a huge difference for me. I hope it works for you! Good Luck JL

skelegirl

quote JL:

Skelegirl,
    All the advice given is spot on. Refer to Kirstens post on taping the wrist first then applying wraps/gloves.
    One more thing that you can try to strengthen your wrist.

Look up PowerBall Gyroscope at
    http://www.nsdball.com. It will strengthen the wrist and forearms and will also affect the shoulder region. Let me know if you order this. I have made some drills you can do with it.

I have had one for a few years and it has made a huge difference for me. I hope it works for you! Good Luck JL

Thanks, I definitely look that up after I get done teaching labs tonight. Thanks!thumbsup

clfmak

Also make sure your wrist is extremely straight on contact. It might not be weak wrist as much as improper technique.

kirsten

Eek.. teaching labs! The ugly side of the quest for higher ed… I loved my lab instructor.. they can make or break the class for you!

If you don’t mind sharing, what is your PhD going to be in?

skelegirl

quote Kirsten:

Eek.. teaching labs! The ugly side of the quest for higher ed… I loved my lab instructor.. they can make or break the class for you!

If you don’t mind sharing, what is your PhD going to be in?

No, I don’t mind at all. Forensic anthropology/Bio Archaeology.

dirty-harry

Powerball.

kior

quote Reaper1:

i’m not use to using a vertical fist.

You shouldn’t be hitting with a vertical fist, you should be rotating to a 45 degree angle or so

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: