Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    runnergirl

I’ve been taking Krav twice a week (sometimes 3, sometimes 1) for about 9 months. I do pushups on my knuckles on hard surfaces every day, and I think my wrists are waaaaay stronger than when I started.

But lately (last 3 weeks) when we do a lot of punching, and I go 100% my fingers get numb. I also started getting wrist pain the next day, which was exacerbated by a day of whitewhater kayaking, and writing a lot. (I’m a grad student). I’m very careful with technique and have had my instructor watch to see if that’s the problem.

I know wrist wrapping is \”wimpy\” but what should I do? Should I not hit as hard, or are wraps a good idea? If so, where should I get them?

Thanks!

klem

Wraps

I personally like to avoid wraps because I don’t want to become dependent on them and obviously in the street you won’t have a chance to put them on in the event of a confrontation.

On the other hand (no pun intended), if you are punching all out and/or punching alot, then it might be wise to use wraps part of the time. Punching heavy bags and focus mits can cause alot of stress on your hands and wrists. Conditioning can help but wear and tear will eventually have an effect. There is a reason why boxers use wraps and bag gloves in training. Make sure you learn the proper way to put on hand wraps.

You can get wraps at most sporting good stores. if you have a choice find some Mexican style wraps or the professional wraps by Everlast. They tend to be longer and have a strechable material.

kurtuan

I used to wear wrist wraps when I was kickboxing because they were required, but stopped wearing them when I started Krav. I also was under the impression that my wrists would not become stronger if I wore them. I don’t know how much truth there is to that, but I recently started wearing my weight lifting gloves with wrist supports when striking in class. My wrists have become sore and aggrevated lately due to practicing cavaliers, wrist locks, etc. so rather than risk further injury I decided to wear the gloves. Harbingers also provide some wrist support (I think), but I prefer the weight lifting gloves because they easily fit into focus mits whereas harbingers do not. I don’t wear the gloves every class, but when my wrists are sore I feel that they help prevent further injury….

la-revancha

Ever gone with palm strikes for an entire class? When I was preparing for Phase C back in the day, I would do 7-17 rounds of Bas without gloves. Aside from breaking a knuckle or two, I also would develop some wrist pain.Anytime I do extensive punching without gloves, I opt for palm strikes.

And with proper training, they can be devastating (see Bas Rutten vs. Jason Delucia). More recently, I dropped a student Sunday with three open palm liver shots.

What do you think?

dalamar

My opinion on wrist wraps is there is nothing wimpy with them at all. Sure, in a real-life situation you won’t be able to put them on in a fight, but then again are you going to be getting into fights and throwing punches for three hours every week? Hopefully, if you are ever in a real-life situation the fight will only last a few seconds.

Same with protective gear in sparring. No such thing in a realistic confrontation, but I’m not going to continuouly train that way unless I have brain damage already and want more.

Although we try to simluate reality, training is different. Adjust accordingly.

michael

How to wrap your hands

And for those that need help with proper wrapping, try here:

http://www.ringside.com/store/hw_howto.asp

myaslan

Re: How to wrap your hands

quote \”Michael\:

And for those that need help with proper wrapping, try here:

http://www.ringside.com/store/hw_howto.asp

This helped me alot, thanks.

geode

I use the leather weight lifting gloves that have wrist wraps built into them. In addition to wrist support, they offer a little knuckle protection when punching and from the handles of a tombstone if you’re holding for a heavy hitter. The ‘Harbinger’ brand works well.

mara-jade

\”My opinion on wrist wraps is there is nothing wimpy with them at all. Sure, in a real-life situation you won’t be able to put them on in a fight, but then again are you going to be getting into fights and throwing punches for three hours every week? Hopefully, if you are ever in a real-life situation the fight will only last a few seconds. \”

Dalamar – THANK YOU. Although I’m now on Level 3, I still wear my wraps for the VERY reason you’re describing. I use my pc everyday in my job and the last thing I need is messed up hands. I’ve heard our head instructor tell us ‘don’t feel bad if you want to protect yourself during class.\” My understanding is instructors aren’t supposed to wear wraps but nothing says for students NOT to use them.

Good example I can think of is 360 defense with counters – those can be a stinger on the forearms. I whip out the forearm guards when we do those.

Just my 2 cents… 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: