Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Wrists, Training and a Real Fight…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    rfc

Hi All…

Haven’t posted in a while -been training and trying to keep-up with life… (BTW: Past my test and made it to L2 in August).

OK. Wrists…

A few months ago, I sprained a wrist; not horrible but, it was tender for a couple weeks and gradually improved. It’s not 100% and I’m sure it ever will be given the nature of what we do. Push-ups etc (even when done with knuckles instead of flat palms) and palm strikes can stir things up considerably.

One thing I learned, is that as my form and strength improved, a solid punch has the serious potential of spraining a wrist as, the wrist seems to be a weak link in the chain. As a result, when training, I no longer try to kill the bag.

No doubt, others here have faced the same thing and I’m wondering about your experiences. Wrist braces or Ace wraps? Wrist exercises?

You know… Slamming someone with all your ability in a real fight, could break a wrist in an instant. -Not good!

Any thoughts or comments???

Ray

b0123

Re: Wrists, Training and a Real Fight…

quote RFC:

Hi All…

Haven’t posted in a while -been training and trying to keep-up with life… (BTW: Past my test and made it to L2 in August).

OK. Wrists…

A few months ago, I sprained a wrist; not horrible but, it was tender for a couple weeks and gradually improved. It’s not 100% and I’m sure it ever will be given the nature of what we do. Push-ups etc (even when done with knuckles instead of flat palms) and palm strikes can stir things up considerably.

One thing I learned, is that as my form and strength improved, a solid punch has the serious potential of spraining a wrist as, the wrist seems to be a weak link in the chain. As a result, when training, I no longer try to kill the bag.

No doubt, others here have faced the same thing and I’m wondering about your experiences. Wrist braces or Ace wraps? Wrist exercises?

You know… Slamming someone with all your ability in a real fight, could break a wrist in an instant. -Not good!

Any thoughts or comments???

Ray

Hy Ray,

I have recently purchases a “Powerball” from the internet. I have yet to receive it but it is suppose to greatly improve you arm/wrist/shoulder strength. they are not very expensive to purchase ( I spend Euro 27,50 on mine) check out http://www.powerballs.com for more info.

good luck

regards,

B

ron-b-d14

You also might want to check out http://www.ironmind.com. They have a bunch of different tools for strenghtening your hands, wrists, and forearms. I use some of this equipment, and it has really helped my grip strength.

I have no idea if strengthening your wrists and forearms would decrease the liklihood of an injury in an actual fight, but it sure couldn’t hurt. At the very least, it might help you rehab your injured wrist.

devilnuts

It is my personal opinion that punches are inherently dangerous to the puncher and should only be used for a set up to be followed by a more powerful and safer attack, such as elbow or knee strikes.

Therefore, in my opinion, you shouldn’t be trying to put everything you’ve got into one punch. you are obviously going to hurt yourself. I have been in a few fistfights in my day, nothing serious (I was a hooligan throughout highschool) but I oftentimes did sprain my wrist. The upside is that in a real situation you are so juiced from adrenaline that you probably wouldn’t feel it until ten minutes after the fight is over.

Long story short, the wrist is always going to be vulnerable unless you have perfect form. I use punches for set up, and my killing blow is reserved for the elbows. This may be a rather myopic view of things, but it is just what works for me.

My 2¢

elw

I’m very new to KV and a punch today wasn’t solid and I tweaked my wrist. I had been using the powerball for a while because push ups were giving me a problem. It was certainly helpful, but the better it felt the less often I used it. I am going to have to get back in the routine of using it while I watch TV. My girlfrient HATES it when I do that 😉

leejam99

in the street, you should be thinking of knocking/disabling the person out on the first punch, kick, elbow, eye guauge, etc… no time to setup anything.. your wasting valuable time by setting up when that setup punch can be the knockout punch and you can go home. Always attack with that in mine, don’t stay in the fight any longer than you have to.

For your sore wrist, message along the outside of your forearm from your wrist up to the elbow joint. as you rub it, you will feel spots that are very tender. You’ll also feel spots where it will start to tingle in your hand. message it really good with your thumb. you thumb will get tired very quickly so I would suggest going to Body works or one of those bath/lotion retail store and buy a messaging ball. Its a solid ball at one end and a grip on the other.

good luck. Oh, you should wrap your wrist in class. If you injure your self in training… your no good out on the street where you need it. always think about safety in training.

mara-jade

Welcome to the forum elw!:wav:

kirsten

James, nice advice.

Always wrap your wrists in class, don’t count on your gloves to do the job…

Hope you feel better soon.

jjbklb

http://www.prowriststraps.com/super_gripper_ivanko
    Ivanko Super Gripper
    45 lbs to 360 lbs adjustment
    60+ adjustments for superior
    forearm grip strengthening

stevetuna

I always teach the benefit of palm heel strikes, particularly when teaching my fellow cops. Every time I’ve found myself in a fight, however, I’ve punched with my fists. It’s what I’ve done for 35 years and I revert to my level of training in each case.

My two knuckles on my right hand are just coming back from a vacation inspired by my last throwdown several months ago. Sure, they’re sore, but they heal. It just takes some time.

As Leejam99 said, when it’s time to go, you’ve got to focus on winning. That’s all that matters in that moment.

phlegmon27

I’m going to put my two cents in as a the resident nurse.

First, use hand wraps! I know that the gloves are easier and quicker to put on/off, but the safety benefits of the wraps greatly out-weighs the inconvenience. Especially if you are already injured. Second, take a close look at your form. If your top knuckle is in line with your Radius (the larger of your forearm bones) then all the stress is transferred up the arm, and not put on the wrist joint. Any bend, and you will tweak it. Hooks and uppercuts are particularly dangerous.

The risk you run into training with a sore/under-protected wrist is that you will “pull” your punches and not strike through the target. This will transfer to the street, and your strikes will not be as effective as they may need to be. Train like you fight, ’cause you’ll fight like you train.

bjelder

quote b0123:

Hy Ray,

I have recently purchases a “Powerball” from the internet. I have yet to receive it but it is suppose to greatly improve you arm/wrist/shoulder strength. they are not very expensive to purchase ( I spend Euro 27,50 on mine) check out http://www.powerballs.com for more info.

good luck

regards,

B

Sweet, I just bought one! They look like fun!

mariusnc

I wish I had used my wraps before – now I have an injured left wrist. Been wearing the wrap for the last few days to give it a rest and from now on I’ll always wear the wraps during training.

Just a quick question regarding wrist wraps. I’ve used them a few times, but found that they hindered my palm heel strike because I couldn’t bend my wrist very well. They were excellent for punches, but not so good for palm heel strikes.

Is it just a question of working harder to bend the wrists with the wraps on?

phlegmon27

No. One of the benefits of wrapping is creating stability in the wrist. In other words, wrapping is meant to keep the wrist straight. This, in turn, will make palm heel strikes harder. Don’t sweat it, the added stability is worth it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: