Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Yet ANOTHER sparring question …

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    kravjeff

OK – So while I still have a long way to go, my sparring has improved … What I’ve noticed recently, is that while I have a mean hook on the pads, I can’t seem to land it sparring … I’m a smallish guy (5’7\” / 160) so I don’t have great reach, but I don’t think that’s the problem. Also, I find that defending hooks is easier than defending jabs and straights (though I tried that Crazy Monkey defense recently and it seemed to work …).

So here’s my specific question: How do you use your hook while sparring?

I think, that at least for me, it would work best either coming out of an \”in tight\” exchange or a clinch, or following a jab or a straight – Admittedly, I need to work on those combos when sparring.

Appreciate your thoughts!

KJ

anonymous

I’m small, too, and find it hard to land hooks on taller guys, because their arms are so much longer and their heads higher and at some point it’s hard to get around the defense. You could try hooks to the body, or get to an angle first, then strike. You can also feint a jab, then turn it into a hook at the last second, this has worked for me many times, although it’s not a very strong punch, but good for points, or to confuse, then follow it up with something bigger.

If your opponent is REALLY tall and has his arms far apart, you could also try to throw the hook to the inside (through his arms, rather than around them). He may see the motion for the hook, opens up trying to defend, but you’ll come through the inside, nailing the bastard. 😈

wyatt9696

i’m around the same size as you guys. i’ve found with taller opponents, you have to go in tight while throwing combos(you’ll have to eat a couple of shots, on the way in) and use your jab to set up the hooks. i’ve always found an opening for the hook while my opponent is trying to throw at me. i’m fortunate, as i’m a natural southpaw, who now fights orthodox for training purposes. i can land a hook from either side. you obviously need good mechanics, but sometimes using a brawlers strategy against a larger, taller, person, can overwelm them, and you’ll be able to land several different punches. if you lay back, and try to reach them, they’ll just pick you apart with kicks and punches. where as , if you go in firing, they have to defend more, and can’t get off as quickly. plus there’s a mental aspect to that \”brawlers\” strategy. In my experience,(training, and real life situations) if you show your attacker your willing to \”attack\” him first, they need to think a bit more, as to how to handle the aggresive nature of the \”little guy\”. you need to feint and slip punches as well, and move your head. i’m guilty of moving straight in and throwing down, which is not smart. i’m not afraid to get nailed a couple of times, in order to establish my own presence. in training, try to be a more defensive fighter and pick off your opponents shots, this will let you concentrate more on looking for openings, when your attacker is firing at you. we train like this a lot. try some rounds with just boxing. one guy throwing and the other defending. then try just defending kicks only. being a better defensive fighter. will make you a better offensive fighter. good luck.

sky-lab

I have had trouble landing hooks in sparring also. Then I ran across a video of Bas showing Bob Sappa hook combo,
    first throw a right low straight punch , (most people will go for your head when you do this) after you throw this pivot on your left with setting up the hook and follow up with a uppercut while you are in close to the body. Give it a shotÖÖÖ.

unstpabl1

Jeff,its an inside thing.Look at old fights(boxing) watch the Mexican fighters their usually very good with hooks. JKD kinda does hooks off the straight blast turning it at the end and using a strong foot pivot to get the body behind it for power. This would be off the lead hand. Remember, JKD uses strong side forward,more than likely you would be turning your jab into a hook. Hope your doing Well.
    mike

chris

If your hooks are tough to land on a taller opponent with a longer reach, try using what you do have to your advantage. Change your height and drop a low cross to the midsection. Maybe even go with an uppercut.

Use hooks against opponents closer to your own size. It’s an inside move that you just won’t be able to use effectively against much bigger guys. So get in tight and nail them with some body blows and let them punch themselves out with their jabs until their defense starts to lower and release a flurry of jabs and crosses of your own.

I think the most important thing is to not try to force something when you’re fighting or sparring. Just let it flow.

garddawg

My son (5’6\” 125) uses
    Left hook to the right hand or arm,
    Rt. Cross to the body
    Left Hook to the head

His bigger opponets look at him through the ear hole of their headgear when he’s done.

lazlo

Garddawg,
    So, he tries/does knock their hands/arm with his left hook which clears the path for the right? He then follows through with a second left hook to the guy’s head?

garddawg

Not nec. down, but out of position. Then he fires a right to the body which they often instictively reach for because their hand is out of position, making it hard to just drop their elbow, and then the second left hook.

He also uses an old dirty boxing trick and will repeatedly throw the left hook to the right bicep when his opponent has a tight guard.

la-revancha

\”He also uses an old dirty boxing trick and will repeatedly throw the left hook to the right bicep when his opponent has a tight guard.\”

8) 8) 8) Looks like I have a new assignment for January.

Have you tried setting up a hook to the liver?
    Could be as easy as:

(From crazy monkey)
    High: jab/cross
    Hook to the liver

kravjeff

Re:

quote \”garddawg\:

My son (5’6\” 125) uses
    Left hook to the right hand or arm,
    Rt. Cross to the body
    Left Hook to the head

His bigger opponets look at him through the ear hole of their headgear when he’s done.

😆 8) 😆 8) 😆

Thanks everyone!

clfmak

Sometimes I throw a lead hand punch to the body, then circle the same hand to a wide hook to the head. It doesn’t have lots of power, but it lands and sometimes thats enough. Without gloves, this works well as a lead punch to body to ear slap (the thumb can attack the eye somewhat too).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: