Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    lv-chamarro

Why would you pick KM over Jiu Jitsu?

I am leaning towards KM…But like what my cousin is learning at his BJJ classes…

stevetuna

Re: KM vs Jiu Jitsu

If a potential student asked me this question, I’d reply that Krav Maga prepares one for reality-based self defense, whereas jiu jitsu is much more of a sporting application.

Both have their place. Both overlap those two areas to a degree, as well. Applying a nifty arm bar on the ground is great in a gym, not so great in a brawl where you stand the risk of getting kicked in the head by your attacker’s drunken friend.

I hope that helps.

don

quote Lv_Chamarro:

Why would you pick KM over Jiu Jitsu?

I am leaning towards KM…But like what my cousin is learning at his BJJ classes…

IMO, depends on what you are looking for in training or why you are taking the classes. Also, there is a difference between JJ (traditional) and Brazilian JJ…

Btw, if you are constantly training with your cousin, him taking BJJ and you taking KM could benefit you both – crosstrain each other…

silas

My school does both as part of the same fee, i personally dont care about competition im doing this stuff to get in better shape and better be prepared for bad situations. So for me BJJ/JJ/judo stuff accomplishes giving me additional amazing workout (wrestling the instructor for an hour is the hardest and most draining experience of my life) and it’s helping me learn to calm my mind and become more focused and clinical under pressure. The “red rage” has its place and uses but can also be my worst enemy. Also (and just my 2 cents) with mma being as popular as it is, there are alot of jocktabulous idiots out there learning some BJJ to justify thier closet full of TAPOUT gear and having a working knowledge of this flavor of the month cant hurt. Anyway long story short learn both, it certainly isnt gonna hurt.

happyloaf

Krav I feel is way more practical and useful. However, we do practice BJJ at our fight class and sometimes in lieu of of krav classes if it is a small class of regulars and we feel like rolling. It is fun and I find it has helped in my escapes from the ground (the krav curriculum). Also, landing a rear naked choke is highly satisfying.

nate

Like what has been echoed already, I’d say Krav is more self defense now and less about sport. MMA vs Streetfighting / defense are two every different things.

Krav’s groundfighting is heavily based on BJJ, but Krav doesn’t concentrate on that. In a street fight, you don’t want to go to the ground if at all possible.

What I always tell people is Krav doesn’t look cool like a lot of martial arts because it doesn’t have all the sweet jump kicks, ninja rolls, and kung fu flourishes. Watching Krav vs other TMAs – everything else will always look “cooler”. Krav is proven effective and that’s why practice it.

tech94

theres nothing wrong with learning some bjj along side KM. i personally have trained in paul vunak’s PFS JKD. vunak incorporated bjj techniques years ago, before the ufc was even conceived. he has also incopoporated kina mutai as a street apllication and a defense against chokes and locks on the ground. again the key is you dont want to spend time on the ground in a street fight. if you do wind up on the ground it is good to learn defenses against the common locks, arm bars and chokes just to be able to defend against them and get back to your feet. also remember bites eye gouges hair pullling earlobes, all sound like less manly techniques but highly effective if applied correctly while someone is trying to choke you out

phlegmon27

I have found BJJ very helpful in my Krav practice, and even more so when learning no-gi BJJ like we have at our school. The thing to keep in mind is that you want to apply the techniques in a street-fighting context. Don’t get caught-up grappling with some dude in the parking lot while he reaches for his gun/knife or his buddy is bearing down on you. BJJ is a great compliment to Krav, but as a stand-alone it is somewhat lacking.

Don’t forget: it’s one thing to do BJJ, and something else entirely to do BJJ while being punched in the groin.

johnl-d11

quote phlegmon27:

Don’t forget: it’s one thing to do BJJ, and something else entirely to do BJJ while being punched in the groin.

Exactly.. Plus being bitten, eyes poked, etc.

BJJ is a GREAT supplement to KM

jburtonpdx

quote JohnL:

Plus being bitten

BJJ is a GREAT supplement to KM

remember kids, if your going to bite, get your shots!!!!

ben10dough

cross training is always beneficial – if you can, do both

te

I think there are some misleading posts about BJJ on here. Some BJJ schools are more sporting. But some are not all about sport.

The answer is this: Krav Maga will provide you with an aggressive stand up/striking style that is geared towards quick threat neutralization. It will also cover weapons disarming etc. The negative is that with all striking arts, sometimes you just meet someone who will knock you out if you throw a punch/knee etc.

BJJ on the other hand is a way to avoid striking. The goal in BJJ is to close the distance and not exchange strikes with your opponent. You should use your advantage of grappling against his lack of grappling knowledge to neutralize him positionally, break a joint, choke him out or punch him out once you’ve established a dominant position in which he cannot hurt you but you can hurt him. The negatives for BJJ are that it’s not necessarily a quick method (though I think 99% of the time you’d end the fight within 20-30 seconds) and it is not a good method for multiple attackers or weapons.

I just wanted to clear this up because many people watch the UFC and think “I’d never do BJJ, I’m not going to lay on the ground for 30 minutes waiting for an armbar”. In a self-defense situation against someone who does not know BJJ, you would most likely take him down, gain positional control, mount and punch him out within 30 seconds.

ryan

At the end of the day, it just depends on your goals.

Krav Maga
     self defense only (no competition)
     principle based
     addresses all fight ranges
     addresses weapons (offensively and defensively)
     addresses multiple attackers
     scenario/situation based training (including training in realistic environments)
     drills are a major part of training, to induce adrenaline and enhance fitness
     students typically attain a high level of proficiency quickly

te

Good points, Ryan.

I think that the sport side of BJJ is misunderstood though. The sport is live training. I’ve tried a lot of different martial arts, including KM. Nothing gives you the feeling of self-defense based “live” training like BJJ. It’s the only art where you give and receive 100%. The sport isn’t like TKD where it’s silly kicks for points. The sport side is there to make you as used to grappling with a human being as possible, so when it’s on the line, you know EXACTLY how it feels.

But BJJ is pretty shabby when it comes to weapons, multiple attackers etc.

don

I am a big fan of BJJ but it is NOT the only art/discipline that promotes/incorporates “liveness” in training. As far as going hard – well, it all depends on HOW you train (which is just as important as WHAT you train). Btw, personally, I have never gone 100% in Training against another person – pads yes, person no. Too much chance for serious injury. As Marc Denny says (paraphrased), the goal is to improve each other (with intense, realistic training) individually and thereby strengthening the pack, not to injure/harm each other and weaken the pack.

Matt Thornton on “liveness”

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2068450760833041053

http://vodpod.com/watch/123569-matt-thornton-aliveness

Also btw, the sport side of BJJ is good but only up to a point. If you are to make the shift to a NHB street fight or LE work, for example, you have to change the game and modify the training – sometimes quite a bit. I advise people that BJJ gives an EXCELLENT base to build from.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: