Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Krav survival stories

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    ems-warlord

Anyone here have any cool/interesting/scary stories of how Krav has helped them out in real world situations?

zvor

Re: Krav survival stories

Whilst not as “exciting” as an all out slugfest, I have usedKrav’s awareness heightening skills to avoid a few dodgy encounters as well as de-escalation… As the saying goes, just cause you can kick someone’s butt, doesn’t mean you have to… That’s what Krav is all about in my opinion!

Having said that, I did do the zombie drill once before I even knew what it was (pre-Krav)

ems-warlord

Hell, that counts man.

And it is a very good point I believe.

don

And here I thought this thread was gonna be about making it through various level testings… :combat: thumbsup

ems-warlord

Hahaha, while I’m sure the testing is difficult (still level 1, thinking of taking the test in April) what I want out of Krav is to defend myself on the streets effectively, not tell people I have a black belt in this or that.

No takers?

stevetuna

quote zvor:

Whilst not as “exciting” as an all out slugfest, I have usedKrav’s awareness heightening skills to avoid a few dodgy encounters as well as de-escalation… As the saying goes, just cause you can kick someone’s butt, doesn’t mean you have to… That’s what Krav is all about in my opinion!

Zvor sums it up very well. The self-awareness that you can develop from Krav Maga will help you to defend yourself as much or more than anything else. I had a very tense situation de-escalate due to the use of our defensive stance and an intangible that my potential combatant sensed. I’m not talking about some mystical bullcrap, but the guy saw two things – that I didn’t necessarily want a fight, but that I wasn’t afraid if that’s what it came down to. He soon decided that I just wasn’t his type of victim. The fight avoided was a fight that was won. And he didn’t have to spend the next three days with a bag of frozen peas in his crotch.

We train under stress to prepare ourselves to react better in a fight-or-flight situation. It doesn’t make us supermen (or women). It does, however, put us in a much better position to respond to a violent threat or attack than the average person who has no such training.

As an EMS worker, you well know that we all default to our level of training under stress. By training in Krav Maga, you’ve decided to significantly raise your level. Keep it going! It will help you to walk in peace.

unstpabl1

quote EMS_Warlord:

Hahaha, while I’m sure the testing is difficult (still level 1, thinking of taking the test in April) what I want out of Krav is to defend myself on the streets effectively, not tell people I have a black belt in this or that.

No takers?

Every beginner has this mentality at some level, but what does that “really” mean? “Street Effective” All systems are street effective to the degree that they teach you how easy it is to hurt another person and how easy it is to be hurt

Krav teaches you to function under stress and adversity through drilling. How you will personally handle it when the SHTF is the great unknown, but least krav deals with it. Think of the benefits of this outside of a fight

Think about how many street fights are you going to get in? Though most start off with the effectivenss question, what they come to realize is that what becomes most important is what the training makes of them. Least those that last. Look at how much you’ve improved since you started training. Now realize how much you’ve grown. See my point is the enemy isn’t the mythical street fighter and the battlefield isn’t dive bar. The enemy is our own personal weaknesses and the battlefield is our own lives

I know its not what you were looking for as an answer, but its probably more valuable than me telling you about the time 3 bangers with AK’s tried to carjack me, while 5 bikers were harassing my girlfriend or the time some a-hole fronted me in the checkout line at Ralph’s, but if you go hru old threads you’ll find the stories your looking for

Congratulations on your weight loss and converting your weaknesses into strength. Keep Fightingthumbsup

bjelder

unstpabl- very well said dude thumbsupthumbsup

unstpabl1

Steve, I love that line from “The Shootist”. Almost as much as The one from “Lonesome Dove”, A man who won’t lie for a poke, just don’t wan’t one bad enough”. Duvall’s character playing cards with a hooker for sex.:dunno:

ems-warlord

quote unstpabl1:

Every beginner has this mentality at some level, but what does that “really” mean? “Street Effective” All systems are street effective to the degree that they teach you how easy it is to hurt another person and how easy it is to be hurt

Krav teaches you to function under stress and adversity through drilling. How you will personally handle it when the SHTF is the great unknown, but least krav deals with it. Think of the benefits of this outside of a fight

Think about how many street fights are you going to get in? Though most start off with the effectivenss question, what they come to realize is that what becomes most important is what the training makes of them. Least those that last. Look at how much you’ve improved since you started training. Now realize how much you’ve grown. See my point is the enemy isn’t the mythical street fighter and the battlefield isn’t dive bar. The enemy is our own personal weaknesses and the battlefield is our own lives

I know its not what you were looking for as an answer, but its probably more valuable than me telling you about the time 3 bangers with AK’s tried to carjack me, while 5 bikers were harassing my girlfriend or the time some a-hole fronted me in the checkout line at Ralph’s, but if you go hru old threads you’ll find the stories your looking for

Congratulations on your weight loss and converting your weaknesses into strength. Keep Fightingthumbsup

Very good points sir.

And thank you man.

unstpabl1

quote EMS_Warlord:

And thank you man.

Your welcome, you deserve it. Keep it up.

joel

I have just started training Krav maga and I was today trying to google some real life survival stories, but couldnt find any.

All I found was this topic with real life knight attacks caught on camera:
    http://kravmagaalliance.org/index.php?/forums/viewthread/12/

I hope someone could find atleast one video of someone actualy doing a proper self defence move to survive that kind of knife attacks.
    Even a news story would be nice to hear. 🙂
    (I dont think that krav maga isnt effective, I just wish I could find some evidence that people can survive knife attacks in real life.)

jl

I don’t know that anyone is saying that if you know Krav then you will be exempt from an attack. Be it with a knife or some other weapon of choice. The thing I try and get across is to defend a knife fight….have a gun! if not available or practical defend with all you have and expect to get cut. Try and interrupt the attackers process of attack(ooda loop) re disengage at the earliest possible time and use the Nike defense. Use improvised weapons to defend (i.e. chair, stick, bottle, spit, pool cue etc.) Did I mention that you will probably get cut if you stick around!!!

The responses you received are legit! Your willingness to defend must be as great or greater then their willingness to break the law and attack you!!! Stay safe! And keep working hard!!!! JL

quote Joel:

I have just started training Krav maga and I was today trying to google some real life survival stories, but couldnt find any.

All I found was this topic with real life knight attacks caught on camera:
    http://kravmagaalliance.org/index.php?/forums/viewthread/12/

I hope someone could find atleast one video of someone actualy doing a proper self defence move to survive that kind of knife attacks.
    Even a news story would be nice to hear. 🙂
    (I dont think that krav maga isnt effective, I just wish I could find some evidence that people can survive knife attacks in real life.)

Fwiw it was I who compiled that list originally & posted it here on this forum:

https://kravmaga.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4372&highlight=knife

I didn’t find any CCTV ‘real life’ KM knife defense videos yet. I have read some anecdotes from a few US Law enforcement officers who said they were ‘saved’ from knife attacks instinctively using basic KM blocks after very short term training eg: a weekend or afternoon type KM seminar.

I regularly hear 1st hand feedback from people successfully using KM to their advantage in real life – LEO’s, Security personnel, bouncers, prison workers, those who work with ‘difficult customers’ & others.

The techniques work. They are tested, tried & performed in real life.

With myself , similar to what Steve Tuna mentions, I had a few tense situations defuse because the other party detected ‘something’..the KM vibe.

Joel: A knife attack is a bad situation – no way to sugar coat it. KM is no guarantee but at least it gives you a far better chance than nothing. You may get cut, hurt but you have skills to maybe deal with the problem, minimize the damage & get away.. I don’t think there’s any better system than KM when it comes to dealing with all manner of knife threats & attacks. Train.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: