Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Welcome Forums I don’t know if KM is for me ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    niceguy

Hi All

My work often puts me in harms way I deal with drunk people all the time and at time they are violent

I am looking for a way to disable them or get away from them as quickly and harmlessly as possible. There is always the possibility of law suits when they sober up

I need something that I can use quickly and requires a minimum amount of exertion because I have stamina problems I could train an hour a week maybe every other week

I was thinking of Jujitsu but I think the workouts would be too demanding

Thanks

joseph-kor

Re: I don’t know if KM is for me ?

This job of yours sound very risky. generally speaking, knowing any kind of Self defense is a positive thing and can be useful. KM, is probably one of the best programs that can offer you what you may require. while therer’s a big emphasis on fitness, this doesnt necessraily mean that you need it to pull of some of the techniques. KM SD maneuvers arent about strength or stamina. furthermore, not every school practice alot of groundwork and i’ve heard some provide very littel, so you might want to look for that school who has more tools on how to fight on the ground if that interest you.

with that said,

if you’re not working in the law enforcement or serving in the military, and you find yourself in constant danger during your work. taking SD lessons might not be the first option to consider in solving the problem.

don

quote Niceguy:

Hi All

My work often puts me in harms way I deal with drunk people all the time and at time they are violent

I am looking for a way to disable them or get away from them as quickly and harmlessly as possible. There is always the possibility of law suits when they sober up

I need something that I can use quickly and requires a minimum amount of exertion because I have stamina problems I could train an hour a week maybe every other week

I was thinking of Jujitsu but I think the workouts would be too demanding

Thanks

I think you need to make your goals/expectations more realistic. All else being equal, “minimal exertion” usually means not very realistic and/or not preparing you properly…

Niceguy,

You sound lazy, just like me. Approximately one year ago a nutjob in my old neighborhood (Echo Park, a funky if transitioning neighborhood) was stalking my building, lurking around the front steps, ignoring police orders to stay away, buzzing and threatening tenants, banging on windows, repeatedly trying to sneak in through the laundry room, brandishing a knife on a occasion, etc. After a few days of this, I proceeded to do 3 things. 1) Get a crap ton of pepper spray at a gun store in Burbank (the kind that works on people on meth or PCP) and teach my girlfriend how to use it. 2) Move to another funky if transitioning neighborhood, and a better part of these sorts of neighborhoods. 3) Sign up for Krav Maga, thinking I probably wouldn’t last too long but might learn a few useful things. Cut to a year later and I’m hooked, preparing to take my orange belt test (Level 2 to Level 3) next month. It’s become a very important part of my life; has helped me personally in ways I never could’ve imagined, ways completely unrelated to physicality/fitness/self-defense.

That said, take or don’t take Krav, but if you regularly find yourself in dangerous situations, you have to do something. At the very least, I’d 1) re-evaluate your work situation. 2) Research pepper spray (the good kind that works on drunk/high people) and the laws pertaining to it as they might relate to you. 3) Take some form of reality based self-defense (RBSD), and soon. A little internet research will lead you in the right direction. Obviously for myself and a lot of other people, Krav Maga is the best. It may or may not be for you (though of all the martial arts — of which there’s some debate about whether Krav Maga is or is not technically a martial art, a topic that’s not important at the moment — Krav Maga is arguably the most useful/comprehensive for self-defense.) Either way, you should probably find out before it’s too late, if only for your peace of mind/psychological safety.

Last thing. About the lazy comment. No disrespect intended, especially if you have a real physical limitation (though what you’re doing in such a dangerous job if that’s the case raises an eyebrow.) Anyway, that wasn’t a dig, more an I know where you’re coming from show of solidarity. Thing is, there are times in life where the pain of doing nothing (if not being physically attacked) trumps the pain of physical exertion and your own mental limits. This sounds like it could be one of those times for you, as it was for me. However things end up playing out, best of luck, and by all means please stay safe.

lions2011

Hello nice, You mention JJ as training. You must understand that JJ is a very complex system of stand up grappling mostly. JJ consists of many holds and locks that are done mostly standing up and can take years to learn.
    Krav Maga system is design to learn in only months. You will need to attend 2 hours a week only to benefit. KM systems will not teach you submissions like JJ or BJJ but will teach you easy to learn defenses and strikes that anybody can grasp as long as they are willing. The most injury I have endured is only cuts and bruises. Nothing serious.
    Systems like Muay Thai are far harder on the body. I have been doing MT for several months now and believe me it is harder on the body.
    I think if you are serious you should give KM a try. The HQ is in LA area

lions2011

Still you can use youtube and find some nice strikes that will greatly enhance your defenses such as throat chops or web of hand strikes.

However, to get the real techniques and mindset you are best to join a school. It will toughen and condition your body and mind.

niceguy

Thanks All

There is a KM school just a short distance from where I live
    I can go an watch a class

kevinmack

I honestly dont think anything of worth in this world can be learned training one hour every two weeks. Martial art or otherwise.
    If you consider the way a class is organized you are actually only learning for about a half hr. Even worse.
    No offense intended.

niceguy

No Offense taken
    Probably right but I have chronic health problems and over 50 I have to find something I can practice consistently

This is concern
    If I am dealing with a drunk male who is confrontational and I strike first I could be sued and it could become my word against his
    I would like to learn how to react so I can call it self defense
    Or if he breaks an arm or something what do I do ?

I am not a cop so don’t have that protection

I just want to subdue him or her then get away and call the cops

Sure appreciate you guys feedback

don

What is your job?

brewmasher

I am over 50, but I do not have any chronic illness that I know of. I just started a KM class, and made it clear that I am going to go at my own speed. The reaction from the staff was overwhelmingly agreed. They do not want you to have a heart attack in class, and want you to come back.

KM is great exercise, and will most likely improve your quality of life. Don’t worry about what others are doing, just go at your own pace. Heck, I’ve seen people in wheelchairs training in KM. You may even like it and start training more!

As far as getting sued, anything is possible in this day and age, but a lot of states are making it tough on frivolous lawsuits. If it is your word against theirs, and they were drunk and you were not, who is a judge or jury to believe? If this is part of your job, take out some liability insurance and let them handle any lawsuits. Your safety should be your first and only concern.

niceguy

I drive Taxi
    I get threatened rarely by other drivers and dirty looks by bouncers but most of all drunk guys and once a drunk woman

I feel like I need to have some effective tactics just in case

Thanks guys appreciate it

My chronic illness is hard to splain

kmky

Don’t let age be the thing that a keeps you from it, I have a 58 year old woman in my class that just reached level 2. She is one of the most determined people in class, she never quits. She worked at her own pace in the beginning and has steadily improved.

brewmasher

KM will defiantly give you more confidence, which will show in your body language. It will also make you more aware of situations so you will avoid most confrontations.

If you work for a taxi company, they will have liability insurance and a bond in case anybody sues, but you will most likely lose your job, which then you can sue them if innocent. A viscous cycle in which lawyers are the only winners. If you are a private owner, check with your insurance company on your coverage for such situations.

Might want to check on additional personal insurance in case they try to sue you personally. It’s not that much, and the peace of mind is worth it.

niceguy

My biggest hazard is the people sitting behind me

I also had a drunk/high guy attack me from the passenger seat while I was driving fortunately I was going slow on a city street so I could stop

Then you sometimes get people that are angry with you because you won’t permit them to eat or drink in the car
    They get out with a huff and slam your door hard

I once had a highway patrol man who’s wife was drunk and throwing up on herself tell me to break all kinds of laws because they were in a hurry I would have liked to have kicked him out of my cab… but not sure what those guys will do

If KM can help me with those types of situations it would be useful can it?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: