Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics 54 year old having trouble with intro class

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    stewbs

I took an intro to KM class and I was the oldest person there. I noticed the others in the class were catching on to the instruction better than me. I wonder if I can keep up with the classes. I need self defense class because I have been attacked several times so I am determined to learn.

catapult

Re: 54 year old having trouble with intro class

Even though it was an intro class, the other students have probably been training for a while. Hang in there and work at your own pace. It’ll get better pretty quickly.

Edit: what I meant is most schools will offer a free intro class but it’s not a separate class just for first timers. They just fit you into one of their regular beginner classes.

cinnamongirl

Hang in there stewbs! I’m also one of the older folks at my club – and one of the *ahem – larger ones 🙂 I really struggled at first, but I just kept at it because I was determined to learn Krav. With the support and encouragement of my instructors and fellow students, I’m miles from where I was when I started. In fact, I passed my Level 1 test a few weeks ago, and considering I’m at least 10 years older than most of the other people who tested, I held up just as well as they did! Do your best, and talk to your instructors. The more they get to know you, the better they can teach you.

Good luck and Never. Give. Up!

kevinmack

This is why we are starting a KM for 50+ class. I might even lower it to over 40. It is basically a slightly less intense KM class in regards to the physical aspects focusing more on techniques and the mental sides of things.

kmky

I have a level 2 student that will turn 60 this year. She goes at her own pace, which is slightly less intense than the pace for the rest of the class, but I’ve seen 18 year old kids want to quit and then look up, see she’s still going and the kids get back in the fight.

So follow the advice from catapult, cinnamongirl and KevinMack – go at your own pace, do your best and you will continue to improve. Besides, you could be the inspiration to others in your class.

unstpabl1

I don’t know the key to success but I can tell you that the key to failure is worrying about what everybody else is doing or thinking

I can also tell you from experience that they’re thinking and worrying about the same things you are when they start. 20 y/o were bailing on the intro classes when I was at KMSO..you made it thru till the end…sooo I guess you proved you can keep up….another hint we all train to our own pace. The objective is to complete the class. There are no style points and only you know if your putting in your best effort. The next objective is to recover in time for the next class and to show up.

Yup showing up is 98% of the battle…all those pesky excuses we allow ourselves to entertain..you know like being too old or not in shape or my leg kinda hurts

All any of us can do is show up and do our best

rickprado

If you like KM, don’t quit. It’ll get easier, epecially if you’ve never done anything like this before.

I started yoga about 4 weeks ago and am into my 10th class. The first few times were extremely difficult. Im in very good shape, but have an issue with a nerve in my leg and some of the poses really exposed some deficiencies.

I was sweating like a hooker in church. I decided that I like it enough and it helps my leg enough that I keep going, and it’s getting easier and more challenging at the same time. There’s nothing wrong with taking a breather every now and again.

The more experienced students in the yoga class clearly got into their poses easier than I, much like the experienced students in your class “got it” faster than you did.

Good luck!

hoop

quote stewbs:

I have been attacked several times so I am determined to learn.

Ride this motivation through the pain and self doubt to achieve the skill and confidence you desire. Everyone started at the beginning; you are not in competition with your classmates.

pinkgloves

quote rickprado:

i Was Sweating Like A Hooker In Church.

Lol!

revobuzz

The thing is, even by attending one class, you are now better off than you would have been if you hadn’t attended.

You are learning a new skill, it’s no different to learning any new skill. Stick with it. The great thing about krav is that once you get your head around some of the basic concepts, you apply them to all sorts of stuff and it gets easier.

(Actually it doesn’t get easier ‘cos you get pushed harder as you get better, but you know what I mean!)

Stick with it buddy.

tzrider

quote stewbs:

I took an intro to KM class and I was the oldest person there. I noticed the others in the class were catching on to the instruction better than me. I wonder if I can keep up with the classes.

Everyone has different backgrounds and aptitudes. This will matter more in the beginning than it will later. Put in the work, focus on learning correctly and go your own pace.

I started training at 48 and am now 51. With certain warm-up exercises I lag behind other classmates a little, but with others I can outperform most of them. You’ll have strengths and weaknesses too and you’ll get stronger over time.

In the end, it’s not a competition, it’s learning to defend yourself. For me and many others, it’s a way to get more fit. If those are your goals, focus on those. Worrying about how you seem to compare to others doesn’t have much to do with your ability to defend yourself. Your determination does.

cs81953

quote KMKY:

I have a level 2 student that will turn 60 this year. She goes at her own pace, which is slightly less intense than the pace for the rest of the class, but I’ve seen 18 year old kids want to quit and then look up, see she’s still going and the kids get back in the fight.

So follow the advice from catapult, cinnamongirl and KevinMack – go at your own pace, do your best and you will continue to improve. Besides, you could be the inspiration to others in your class.

I am the almost 60 year old student mentioned in this post. I think my instructor is correct, that I move at a slightly less intense pace than the rest of the class. However, some of them are just 18 years old. I started training at age 55.

Consider this–the 50’s are a good age to start working out hard. Friends who are younger than me are now suffering and dying from preventable diseases, such as certain heart problems. Some of my younger friends have already died. Krav Maga could save your life in more than one way. I am convinced that my relatively good health is partially due to Krav Maga. I am large as well, but my doctor says I am “fat but fit”.

Just move at your own pace and don’t worry about anyone else. The exercise alone is a great benefit.

mara-jade

quote unstpabl1:

I don’t know the key to success but I can tell you that the key to failure is worrying about what everybody else is doing or thinking

I can also tell you from experience that they’re thinking and worrying about the same things you are when they start. 20 y/o were bailing on the intro classes when I was at KMSO..you made it thru till the end…sooo I guess you proved you can keep up….another hint we all train to our own pace. The objective is to complete the class. There are no style points and only you know if your putting in your best effort. The next objective is to recover in time for the next class and to show up.

Yup showing up is 98% of the battle…all those pesky excuses we allow ourselves to entertain..you know like being too old or not in shape or my leg kinda hurts

All any of us can do is show up and do our best

Exactly! You’re doing this for you, not anyone else. I can safely alot of us had the same reservations but for other things (too fat, too short, I’m a girl, etc). I think you get the idea:wav:

unstpabl1

quote mara_jade:

Exactly! You’re doing this for you, not anyone else. I can safely alot of us had the same reservations but for other things (too fat, too short, I’m a girl, etc). I think you get the idea:wav:

the girl excuse no longer exists…everyday I see girls kick guys azzes in the gym…heck have you seen Ronda Rousey fight:D:

agaleos

I’ve started KM in the age of 48 yo. Now I’m 52 and I have G1 level. It is not easy but if you really want it you are going to make it .

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: