Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics 54 year old having trouble with intro class

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    icy

Re: 54 year old having trouble with intro class

<cite/>I have a level 2 student that will turn 60 this year</cite>
    I have a question regarding your grading .

Was any consideration given regarding your age with regard to the cardio?

I am 50 & injured my back some years ago which I am fighting my way towards recovery. Because of the danger I face with one of my jobs (cabbie) I took up Krav last September & was hooked!
    I have improved both in fitness & skill considerably, mastering P4 techniques in class so I decided to attempt my P1 .
    As has been mentioned in other threads, the cardio at the beginning was tough but I made it. After 2 1/2 hours of blocks, punches & kicks I could see light at the end of the tunnel but we were given another cardio session which the young ones struggled through did me in, causing me to ‘tunnel vision’ & almost black out.
    I know I’m venting but getting knocked out within 1/2 hour because my old body couldn’t do more twirling burpees is a hard pill to swallow – if my techniques sucked I would feel less ripped off.
    So off my soapbox & I am interested in your thoughts – thanks for taking the time to read this.

kmky

pm’d you. the short answer is – yes consideration was taken regarding her cardio but not in regarding to the application of the techniques or self defense aspect – she did the same test as everyone else at that point against attackers 1/2 her age and twice her size.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

FWIW I’ll be 50 this year and I’m in the best shape of my life. People think I’m in my late 30’s early 40’s and are generally shocked when they find out how old I am.

I eat clean, take my supplements, stretch when I get up and before I train, make sure and listen to my body when it tells me to slow down and don’t push myself when I don’t need to.

Go at your own pace, don’t try and impress anyone and make adjustments when you need to.

You’ll be fine thumbsup

quote stewbs:

I took an intro to KM class and I was the oldest person there. I noticed the others in the class were catching on to the instruction better than me. I wonder if I can keep up with the classes. I need self defense class because I have been attacked several times so I am determined to learn.

Hang in there. Everyone learns at a different pace. If your partners are impatient with you, then they’re being jerks. You’ll catch on soon enough and find yourself more experienced than others.thumbsup

ntng

quote stewbs:

I took an intro to KM class and I was the oldest person there. I noticed the others in the class were catching on to the instruction better than me. I wonder if I can keep up with the classes. I need self defense class because I have been attacked several times so I am determined to learn.

I started at age 54. I have some challenges to overcome < missing a large portion of a lung. Cancer sucks by the way > The nearest place to attend class is almost 2 hrs away. My wife and I go every Saturday, stay for 2 classes, shower, lunch, and head home. The week before my level II test I injured my back. I could not test up. I cant test again ’till September, but I’ll be back in class this weekend! Hang in there! You’ll see positive changes in yourself physically as well as mentaly! Dont worry about catching on as fast as younger students! Remember: Old Guys Rule! thumbsup

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: