Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics ACL Replacement Surgery

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    dave-bluestein

Well, 23 years of Krav Maga and no serious injuries….until now. The other night, I was training with Darren and some other instructors on third party protection. I was really just on the sidelines giving advice on techniques, and famous last words….”Lemme try a couple!” First one, no problem. Felt great and everyone said it looked great. Second one….BAM! I landed wrong with my leg extened and my knee dislocated and went back in. I have a complete tear of my ACL and need surgery to reconstruct it. NO KRAV FOR A YEAR!!!!!! AAARRRGHHHH!

Im looking for a little encouragement from people who have had the surgery. Please tell me there is live in Krav after!!!!

Dave

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Re: ACL Replacement Surgery

DAVE!!

I heard what happened I guess it was right after I left. And the first thing I said was ìHowíd he blow out his knee heís got a bad shoulder?î If you remember we walked outside together and you had made mention it was bothering you.

Damn a year, well if its any consolation Iíve crushed my meniscus in my right knee and I move pretty well. And Brent hobbles around OK on his bum knee.

Youíll be back on your feet in no time!

Dave,

I’m sorry to hear about your injury… I haven’t had the surgery but I did watch a good friend go from injury to recovery. Approx 1 year after surgery he was 100%. He was FANATICAL about sticking to his physical therapy and following the “slow return” policy his dr set up.

These days he’s been playing basket ball with kids about 1/2 his age, skiing, and mtn biking. There is a joke among our friends that we’re going to have to hurt him again because the first one didn’t slow him down enough and we still can’t keep up.

Be patient, work with your therapist and before you know it you’ll be making the younger kids feel bad because the guy with the busted knee is showing them up.

-m

giant-killer

Wow, I’m sorry to hear this. OhMy Knee injuries are terrible, because it’s hard to train in anything without being able to walk. Maybe after a while you’ll be able to do slow defenses at least? What about your day job? Can you still do it with the injury?

Which third party defense was it? Seems like a freak accident. 🙁 Bummer. One year no Krav sounds like torture…

la-revancha

Por la gran puta!! That sucks, Dave!!

We have all had students with nasty injuries that come back. THERE IS ALWAYS life in Krav afterwards.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Christian (from Stafford’s neck of the woods).

chloe

Hi Dave, 5 years ago I tore my ACL doing the world’s best front kick ever in a sparring session. It was so great in fact that I tore my ACL right off the bone. I used my patellar tendon for reconstruction (as opposed to hamstring or cadaver). Long story, short I was back teaching again in 3 months and sparring again in 4, of course I had to take it easy. I eased back into kicking slowly and now I am able to do full force knees on the heaving bag and the pads, my knee is back, I would say to 125%. (I worry about the other one though) The only thing that scares me a little is knee bars. So I try to avoid that situation. Do not worry, if you do all of exercises and follow the doctor’s orders you will be great and back before you now it. Take care of it now, so you can be back to better than normal by springtime.

stevetuna

Dave – I’m sorry to read about your setback. Chloe’s report is very encouraging – I hope that things will go as well for you!

mara-jade

quote Dave_Bluestein:

Well, 23 years of Krav Maga and no serious injuries….until now. The other night, I was training with Darren and some other instructors on third party protection. I was really just on the sidelines giving advice on techniques, and famous last words….”Lemme try a couple!” First one, no problem. Felt great and everyone said it looked great. Second one….BAM! I landed wrong with my leg extened and my knee dislocated and went back in. I have a complete tear of my ACL and need surgery to reconstruct it. NO KRAV FOR A YEAR!!!!!! AAARRRGHHHH!

Im looking for a little encouragement from people who have had the surgery. Please tell me there is live in Krav after!!!!

Dave

OH DANG DAVE..That’s awful. One of the students at our center did have his ACL go out also. Alot of hard work and he’s been back in class. I know it took along while before he could get back in.

Sending ya prayers for a speedy recovery:wav:

jay99

I don’t think I will be over stepping my boundaries if on behalf of the students at the
    NTC-SO I say – We are incredibly sorry to hear about your injury. You will be greatly missed while you are down and we wish you all the best for a quick recovery!

I have had two very close friends recover such injuries so there is hope. One returned to the Marine Corp. and the other is as strong on their knee in a hockey game as they were before the injury with little more than a catious eye on it these days. So I would say there is plenty of hope!

All of our best! And we all hope to see you back soon!

– Jamie

kmcat

You can get injured badly doing anything, especially if it is an active sport or skill.

Earlier this year I was doing a mountain bike related activity (the exact details would take to long to explain), the short story is my ankle was “blown out”. It was a Syndesomosis ligament injury (a “high ankle sprain”). It is a somewhat unusual type of injury (most ankle sprains are lower in the ankle).

The treatment for it consisted of putting 2 titanium screws in. Screwing the two ends of my leg bones together holding them in place while the ligaments healed in the correct positions.

Needless to say I was unable to do any KM training for awhile.

This happened in March and I was mostly out for about of any training for about 10 weeks. After 10 weeks I came back to some fitness classes and started doing what I could. On the bright side for the first time in my life I learned to do one footed jump rope. For punching drills in fitness class I did them while kneeling (taking off any stress on the ankle).

After about 3 months the screws came out and I was cleared to do more activity. I took it slowly and paid very close attention to any pain signals and continued to protect the joint.
    It is probably 99+% healed now and I’m happy that I’ve come back from that.

One thing I took away from this experience is that the way you take care of your health also involves taking care of injuries, working actively to help your body heal.

Pay attention to what your doctors tell you, but don’t take what they say a absolute gospel. Use the internet and libraries and other information resources to learn about your problems and use the information along with your doctor’s information to help guide you in your path to healing.

dave-bluestein

Thanks for all the encouragement. Im actually able to bear weight and walk on it 2 days post injury. So, at least Ill get around.

leejam99

man….sorry to hear about the injury. Hope you recover soon.

Team Affliction is not going to be the same without you! 🙂

James

quote Dave_Bluestein:

Im actually able to bear weight and walk on it 2 days post injury.

Remember… It’s not what you CAN do, it’s what you SHOULD do.

Patience now and after surgery will pay off in the long run.

cav

Sorry to hear about your Knee, I’ll be getting an MRI soon to see what if anything I have to do, and I really hated hearing about the potential outcomes. I wish you a painless and speedy recovery.

dkolb

hey dave.

really sorry to hear about the knee. i recently got a ‘no-krav-for-a-year’ diagnosis as well thanks to a ruptured disc (C5-C6) – conveniently following a 6 month layoff after my shoulder surgery… so i feel your pain – well mine’s actually a bit higher.

unfortunately, i have no real words of advice for you, as i am going completely insane myself. maybe we can form some sort of support group. brent could join too if he ever actually took the time off to heal from any of his injuries…

hang in there. and hopefully we’ll see each other again training sometime in 2008.

david

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: