Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics ACL Replacement Surgery

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    h2h

Re: ACL Replacement Surgery

that sucks Dave. Just follow the Doc’s notes.
    You can still grade us during phases though 🙂

take care

G

miriam

Hey, Dave!

As a fellow (fitness) instructor at the NTC and ACL-ripper, I can also offer you a plethora of advice on surgery, rehab, etc. Hopefully your insurance will allow you top notch care at either Kerlan Jobe or one of LA’s other finest.

In addition, I also practice law and had the pleasure of representing a German company that procures and processes human tissue for ACL ligament replacement, so while I would definitely recommend using your patella tendon for your replacement graft, if you happen to have questions about using cadaver tissue, I can offer you info. on that. Btw, be aware that going back to full weighted (i.e. pivoting, or anything with shearing force) activity as soon as 3 months runs a fair risk of re-rupture. I know people do it without incident – and I’m not saying you’re “not young” or anything – but age plays a big factor in the speed and sufficiency of recovery. So, if you’re like me in your, uh, 30’s… don’t rush it. It’s not worth having to re-do the procedure. thumbsup

Take care,

Miriam

emil

Hey Dave, sorry to hear about your knee. Not participating in the activity you love can be really depressing.
    A couple of things: depending on the condition of the knee and when the surgery is scheduled you can actually “pre-condition”. There’s evidence that physical therapy before surgery can actually improve outcome and get you recovering quicker. Also, 1 year may be a bit of an over-estimate. If it’s ACL only not MCL and/or meniscus, you complete your recovery well and the surgery is performed well, you can be back to limited activities way before that. You will always have to be conscious of weight loaded pivoting ( especially kicks and even punches in the beginning).And afterwards you must keep that leg strong and balanced. In terms of choice of grafts, usually using your own is better long term, but increases your chances of tearing the rest of patella tendon, but using cadaver tissue has quicker recovery because there’s less damage to your own leg to get the patella tendon. Usually each surgeon has their own preference.

dave-bluestein

Thanks Emil. The surgeon said that I’d be back to normal stuff (cycling, swimming, etc) in 4 months or so. It is just Krav, running, jogging and anything that places too much stress on the ligament that will take a year. Of course, everything is an estimate, and depending on my condition, dedication to therapy, etc will alter the times. Im sure I’ll be back teaching in less than a year. Thaks for the good words.

dave-bluestein

Hey Kolb, you, Brent and I can start the gimp black belt club. Im looking forward to kicking you in the groin while you connect with an overhand right in a year.

la-revancha

quote Emil:

Hey Dave, sorry to hear about your knee. Not participating in the activity you love can be really depressing.
    A couple of things: depending on the condition of the knee and when the surgery is scheduled you can actually “pre-condition”. There’s evidence that physical therapy before surgery can actually improve outcome and get you recovering quicker. Also, 1 year may be a bit of an over-estimate. If it’s ACL only not MCL and/or meniscus, you complete your recovery well and the surgery is performed well, you can be back to limited activities way before that. You will always have to be conscious of weight loaded pivoting ( especially kicks and even punches in the beginning).And afterwards you must keep that leg strong and balanced. In terms of choice of grafts, usually using your own is better long term, but increases your chances of tearing the rest of patella tendon, but using cadaver tissue has quicker recovery because there’s less damage to your own leg to get the patella tendon. Usually each surgeon has their own preference.

In case it wasn’t self-evident, I am working on recruting Emil to my growing list of SoCal minions once he wraps up NYU grad school. Hope you and the Mrs. enjoyed Malibu.

Keep us posted, Dave!!!

desert-strom

I may be a little late to this thread but just wanted to post my .02 worth.

Tore my left ACL 1 year ago at a Krav class. Years of Rugby, mountain biking, kick boxing and I manage to tear it during a simple excercise…great.

I was very lucky to be referred to a great surgeon. IMHO it is important to research the available options for ACL repair carefully. For me a achilles tendon cadaver graft was the best option. I beleive it is imperative to find a surgeon familiar with the technique you are going with. Even with this type of repqir there are several different surgical methods and theories on anchoring the graft to the bone. The latest techniques involve combinations of titanium and composite type screws and anchors. Be extrememly careful with hamstring and patellar grafts.

I had two months before my surgery and an aggressive PT on both legs. Special attention was given to lite weight half sqauts, partial lunges and lots of hamstring strengthening. (It sounds odd but hamstring strengthening has some very direct tie ins with post-surgical recovery.) Cycling (spin classes) with reasonable loads on the legs was also encouraged.

Surgery was very smooth. Some very disturbing research has been released about long term effects of intra-articular infusion pumps for operative pain control. Long acting nerve blocks appear to be much safer. Inquire with surgeon and anesthesiologist before hand.

Post-op PT is the most crucial component. Finding a PT therapist who rehabs athletes is a good bet. My PT was amazing and had me back to 90% on the knee in 3 months. I resumed Krav after about 5 months. It has totally changed the way I condition my legs. I rely a lot more on weightless strengthening excercises that utilize full range of motion excercices. Excercises that emphasize proper knee alignment and low impact (ie – cycling, eliptical machines, lite weight lunges, etc.) are a core to my programs now. Maybe it is my wishful thinking but my legs are stronger and better conditioned for it.

Don’t be afraid to ask questions throughout the process and seek second opinions. It is amazing the wide variety of opinions and approaches even within one given repair technique. There is life after ACL tear.

Hope this helps.

desert-strom

I may be a little late to this thread but just wanted to post my .02 worth.

Tore my left ACL 1 year ago at a Krav class. Years of Rugby, mountain biking, kick boxing and I manage to tear it during a simple excercise…great.

I was very lucky to be referred to a great surgeon. IMHO it is important to research the available options for ACL repair carefully. For me an achilles tendon cadaver graft was the best option. I beleive it is imperative to find a surgeon familiar with the technique you are going with. Even with this type of repqir there are several different surgical methods and theories on anchoring the graft to the bone. The latest techniques involve combinations of titanium and composite type screws and anchors. Be extrememly careful with hamstring and patellar grafts.

I had two months before my surgery and an aggressive PT on both legs was advised. Special attention was given to lite weight half sqauts, partial lunges and lots of hamstring strengthening. (It sounds odd but hamstring strengthening has some very direct tie ins with post-surgical recovery.) Cycling (spin classes) with reasonable loads on the legs was also encouraged.

Surgery was very smooth. Some very disturbing research has been released about long term effects of intra-articular infusion pumps for operative pain control. Long acting nerve blocks appear to be much safer. Inquire with surgeon and anesthesiologist before hand.

Post-op PT is the most crucial component. Finding a PT therapist who rehabs athletes is a good bet. My PT was amazing and had me back to 90% on the knee in 3 months. I resumed Krav after about 5 months. It has totally changed the way I condition my legs. I rely a lot more on weightless strengthening excercises that utilize full range of motion excercices. Excercises that emphasize proper knee alignment and low impact (ie – cycling, eliptical machines, lite weight lunges, etc.) are a core to my programs now. Maybe it is my wishful thinking but my legs are stronger and better conditioned for it.

Don’t be afraid to ask questions throughout the process and seek second opinions. It is amazing the wide variety of opinions and approaches even within one given repair technique. There is life after ACL tear.

Hope this helps.

mara-jade

Miriam, Desert Strom(maybe meant storm?), Just wanted to welcome the both of you to the forum! The more the merrier:D

dave-bluestein

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I have 2 weeks till surgery and am starting PT tomorrow.

jjbklb

On the swimming end of it,consider getting a flotation belt for deep pool running.The belt keeps you off the bottom.You can run in place with almost zero knee impact.

http://www.aqua-gear.com/cgi-bin/cart.pl?db=stuff.dat&category=Floatation%20BeltsHT

desert-strom

Thank you for the welcome. I have been lurking for some time. I did mean “Strom”. I ride a Suzuki V-Strom motorcycle. I guess Strom is supposed to be German for flow. Maybe it has deep inner meanings for me or is just all I could think of at the time…who knows.

Dave…best of luck for a smooth surgery and speedy recovery.

giant-killer

“Strom” can also mean “electricity” in German.

marcus-kowal

Mate, speak to Kristine. She had the surgery after a bad injury and look at her now! Less than one year later & she’s training harder than most!

Good luck mate, get well!

saruotoko

Dude! OMG, Dave. I’m so sorry to hear that. Are you mobile now? i.e. can you walk around now before the surgery?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: