Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Advanced Krav Maga – David Kahn is out..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    rick-prado

For anyone looking to further their knowledge of Krav Maga and to hear a few good stories about Imi, and some history, I suggest you get the new book out this week at amazon.

I got mine this morning and am impressed by what I have seen so far and will definitely spend the next day or so going over the material.

Enrique

bigtk1978

Re: Advanced Krav Maga – David Kahn is out..

I am waiting for a copy to come on the 20th of this month. How does it look so far? Can’t wait to train!

rick-prado

quote bigtk1978:

I am waiting for a copy to come on the 20th of this month. How does it look so far? Can’t wait to train!

I think it is excellent. I am particularly fond of the stories in the book; about Imi, Krav Maga, and what inspired him to develop this wonderful self defense system.

As far as the actual techniques, they are explained with very good detail and the illustrations are very descriptive in that they have arrows showing a rotation of the hip, movement of an elbow, shuffle of the feet, when sometimes words or a picture may not be enough.

Also, the explanation of techniques is very concise and well written as are the various tips throughout. Situational awareness, tactical thinking, etc…

Various topics are covered, including, but not limited to ground fighting, chokes, defense against chokes, kicks, defense against kicks, clinches, joint locks…etc….

Everything cannot be covered but what is covered has been done very well.

Excellent!

bigtk1978

From the instruction up here in Palm Beach I gained a lot of experience and practice. We learned a lot of material and concepts from Dave’s first book. Funny enough today I had a new guy at my job who does MMA and he was curious about krav knife defenses. To show off a bit we did a thrusting defense, transitioned to the take away, and then into a slashing move to seal the deal. He was impressed with the simplicity and effectiveness of the concepts. David K trains some great instructors. Rich F was a great instructor, and today my instincts were up to par and precise even though I haven’t done any training since June. The new co worker and I going to go through the book when it comes in.

markb-d6

From the review it sounds like much of the same material from Kahn’s first book, Could you say how much is review and how much is new?

jl

I have both of David Kahn’s books. There are some areas that deserve reviewing and I think David does that. But there many nuggets of gold in this new edition. I love the schematic he has in the beginning of the book on Krav Maga’s techniques, philosophy (i.e retzev). Kind of in a flow chart style. And I think the way that this has been written, it’s easy to follow even for those that have not formally trained in KM. But even more insightful for those of us that have years of experience in KM. It confirms and reaffirms what we do know, including the way the body reacts to an attack or altercation. For me it was well worth running down to B&N to grab a copy. This is my .02 on the matter! JL

rick-prado

quote MarkB:

From the review it sounds like much of the same material from Kahn’s first book, Could you say how much is review and how much is new?

Check it out at the Barnes and Noble, you don’t have to buy it.

Lot’s of new stuff, some review and the philosophical points as they relate to Krav are important.

rich-f

quote bigtk1978:

From the instruction up here in Palm Beach I gained a lot of experience and practice. We learned a lot of material and concepts from Dave’s first book. Funny enough today I had a new guy at my job who does MMA and he was curious about krav knife defenses. To show off a bit we did a thrusting defense, transitioned to the take away, and then into a slashing move to seal the deal. He was impressed with the simplicity and effectiveness of the concepts. David K trains some great instructors. Rich F was a great instructor, and today my instincts were up to par and precise even though I haven’t done any training since June. The new co worker and I going to go through the book when it comes in.

Thank you for the kind words.

rick-prado

I finally had a chance to go thru the entire book and would like to add that it covers some of yellow,orange, and green belt materials from the most recent and up to date IKMA curriculum.

For example: webstrikes and forearm shivers to the throat, trapping with combatives, chops, defenses against “sucker punches”, clinching, improved punch defenses both using hands and legs (including kick and knee variation defenses).

Retzev (continuous combat motion) is also further developed.

There is clinchwork and clinch defenses, takedowns and takedown defenses, cavaliers, Nelson defenses, head butts and head butt defenses and, “soft” control technique and “hard” control holds.

The groundwork chapter includes specific krav maga work from the mount and guard with corresponding defenses, traps and combatives, armbar combinations and defenses, leglock combinations and defenses, guillotines and guillotine defenses, neck cranks, chokes and facebars.

There is also a women’s chapter focusing on infighting and some core techniques against sexual assault. The last chapter continues to develp retzev and provides specific workouts for the techniques in covered in the book.

As I mentioned in my earlier posts, the sections devoted to the history/background/philosopy of Krav Maga are key components of the book as well.

Enrique

relli-kant

I took a look at the book at B&N today and have to say I was surprised to find that it seems to cover so many beginner’s techniques (inside defenses, simple combatives) and not a single weapons technique.

I was also wondering about the ground fighting portion, it seems to imply that in KM one should try to go for arm bars and such (trying to actually break the joint), rather than getting up quickly from the ground?

That said, I liked some of the stories about Imi and his former student and it did have some practical fighting tips. I just thought it would have even more advanced KM techniques. But maybe the next one?

Side note: In the beginning of the book, there is a line saying: “In Memoriam – Dror Saporta”. Did he die? What happened? Anyone know?

psyops

Yes,

Sadly Dror Saporta did pass. It is my understanding that cancer was the cause of death. He will be missed.

fjs

I am new to this message board and am glad to see that most posts here are happy with David Kahn’s new book. I know David and he will be happy to here these comments. He is only concerned that Krav stays pure and effective adapting to real life threats — what it’s founder wanted and that it’s teachings are updated. In other words, what works, and, in essence will keep you alive. On some of the comments; David strictly adheres to IKMA guidelines following Grand Master Gidon’s (Imi’s chosen successor) teachings. The IKMA guidelines are different than any other krav maga association’s guidelines. I have seen the IKMA curriculum and it does not resemble any of the other splinter groups it is always under review and updated. Remember, every other krav maga association came from the IKMA with the exception of the so-called “Commando Krav Maga.” The Grandmaster was chosen to continue Krav maga’s growth and evolution. David was chosen to be the US representative to further it along. And in the comment of David training some great instructors, you are absolutely correct. If you could only see what the newest group of instructor coming looks like you would all be quite impressed, their military and personal resumes are outstanding. Lastly, the IKMA groundwork has developed to avoid going to ground, but, if you have to the IKMA prepares you to defend any threat. The best way to defend a threat is to understand the threat. Weapons defenses are not included in this book. They will come out as appropriate. But I assure you from watching David train this week with a military special ops group the IKMA has more than enough weapons defense and techniques for anyone. They were well accepted and applauded by these guys who are current operators and have had to go to hands to take care of business on the battlefield. The curriculum was professional, real world and just what they need to fight the enemies of our country. If any of you ever get an opportunity to train with David go for it. I think I have said enough. Drop David a line at his web site, he would love to hear from you and will definitely take the time to write you back.

rick-prado

The second paragraph in the groundfighting chapter specifically states that “Importantly, you should always try and stay on your feet”.

If you are going to go to the ground, there are several techniques to deal with threats that come up.

I don’t understand what you mean by simple combatives btw, Krav combatives are meant to be simple and effective, and to be learned quickly. Reverse roundhouse kicks, and some of the more “complicated” ones are part of the curriculum, but at higher levels, as are weapons defenses.

fjs

I never stated anything about simply combatives and or referenced Kicks etc. Are you talking about something David wrote because I do not see your point toward what I posted? Let me know. but if you are trying to show your reaing comp level or you skill in expertise in Krav, great, thanks.

relli-kant

I think Plantman was referring to what I wrote, not FJS. I just meant to say that I was surprised to see things like inside defenses in the advanced book, since those are one of the first techniques one learns in level 1 and might have fit better into a beginners book. At least, that’s what I thought. Maybe I had some wrong expectations, but I was hoping this one would deal with weapons scenarios, so, in that regard, I was a bit disappointed.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: