Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Personal Gear Discussion Advice on Heavy Bag @ Home for Training?

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    jakehbg

Re: Advice on Heavy Bag @ Home for Training?

There are several key things you should think about getting a heavy bag for training.

1. Weight. Many people don’t realize that they need to get the right weight in order to have a good heavy bag training experience. The general rule of thumb is that you should use a heavy bag that is approximately 1/2 your weight. Obviously heavy bags don’t come in incremental sizes, so you don’t need to follow this exactly. If you are under 170 pounds and 70 pound bag will probably be ok, whereas if you are over 170 you probably want to consider a 100 pound bag.

2. Filler material. So many bags are filled with subpar material and it really makes a difference in the training experience. Water is my preferred bag filler because it hitting a water bag to me feels more closely to hitting a real person in training. If you are just doing it for fitness it’s not a big deal, but if you are training for competitions then you will want to simulate as close of a real experience as possible. The other bonus to water is that it is relatively easy to fill and unfill, which means you can move the bag around if needed. Many bags contain sand instead and some people like those. The advantage to sand is that it’s pretty easy to find and if your bag ever has a leak it’s easy to clean up.

3. Cover material. Leather is my preferred heavy bag cover material. It feels great when hitting it. Vinyl is also pretty good, however, it definitely feels cheaper to leather. You can also get bags from canvas, but I’d suggest avoiding those. You absolutely need gloves if you decide to go with canvas bags as it will quickly cut up your knuckles unlike leather and vinyl.

There are a few other things to consider when getting a heavy bag for martial arts training. You can learn more out at this guide here: http://www.heavybagguide.com/

jmike

I see some people recommending bags that are 50-70 pounds. In my opinion that is much too light, unless you are just looking for a very cheap bag to train with (or don’t weigh much yourself). When I hit a 70 pound bag it tends to move significantly, so at the very least I’d suggest getting an 80+ pound bag (I use 100 pound bag at the gym.

At home I use the Wavemaster XXL, which is a free standing bag, so the normal weight suggestions don’t apply. This site has a fairly accurate review in my opinion. The Wavemaster XXL is definitely more expensive than a hanging bag, but it is far easier to set up. It is also pretty sturdy and doesn’t move around too much when I kick it hard.

I also saw someone here recommend the BOB XL bag. While I’ve used it before I can’t really recommend it to most people. Since it’s shaped like a person the training you can do with the bag is definitely more limited. Sure it’s fun to aim for the head and strike it, but it also means you constantly need to be watching exactly where you are punching and kicking it or you risk injury.

Hi, with all the recommendations I have gathered for a home training, I found out that bag must not be too heavy. According to those who have tried it, there is really a right weight for a bag to be considered in order to have a good training experience.

jackwalker
    Blocked

Many people don’t realize that they need to get the right weight in order to have a good heavy bag training experience.

jasonnorin

Would also love to have a heavy bag but my place is not big enough..

kravandy

For years I have been training with an 80lb everlast Omni Strike Heavy bag. The weight is good plus it has foam wrapped bottom panel allowing low kicks and G+P. Additionally there are handles to stimulate a Thai clinch when training allowing you to work on knee strikes. I have limited room in my place so the stand is not too big, which initially caused it to slide around. To remedy this I put 40 lb dumbbell weights on the three stand supports and my issue was solved. Hope this is helpful and happy training!

btshamol

The Perfect Punch is supposed to be one of the best MMA workouts to come along during the latest fitness craze and it sounded like something we should try. One feature of this particular workout is that you could take it with you as opposed to having to stand in front of a punching bag to workout. From the infomercial you can see that these MMA workouts offered by the Perfect Punch system can be done by anyone regardless if you are used to hitting a bag or just getting started. for more http://www.bnewtech.com/best-punching-bag/

btshamol

One feature of this particular workout is that you could take it with you as opposed to having to stand in front of a punching bag to workout. The Perfect Punch is supposed to be one of the best MMA workouts to come along during the latest fitness craze and it sounded like something we should try. From the infomercial you can see that these MMA workouts offered by the Perfect Punch system can be done by anyone regardless if you are used to hitting a bag or just getting started. for more http://www.bnewtech.com/best-punching-bag/

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: