Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    blindfold

I’m hoping this is posted in the right place. It’s about training techniques, I guess.

One of the people in our class is training with his friend, at home, doing gun defenses with an airsoft pistol. He said that he will know if he makes a mistake.

I figured I would ask if anyone else has, what they consider to be, strange training habits?

Airsoft training

Airsoft training can be valuable, but doing it at home without objective feedback from an instructor or advanced student can be problematic. The other issue is that you now have a finger in the trigger guard during the disarm, which could suck for the owner of said finger.

giant-killer

I’ve never done this myself, but I’ve heard of people doing this. As long as you put on goggles to protect the eyes, I think it can have some benefits. If you mess up the technique, there is some fear of feeling real (albeit harmless) pain. Of course, your partner would have to play along and be at least a bit surprised by your defensive action. If he just pulls the trigger as soon as he thinks you are going to move you’ll probably lose every time and end up with a whole lot of red spots on your chest and arm. 🙂

mara-jade

I don’t consider that weird at all. In class one of the first things (even in the KM videos, think it’s in the KM book also) is that you DON\”T train with the real thing, no matter how well you know the gun’s empty.

I bought a similar one at academy to practice gun defenses with hubby:D

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

It makes sense for doing the first part of the technique only.. the control and counter.

You donít have to do the disarm / clear

Once you reach the control point you already know you can remove the weapon.

Really getting to the control point and making the simultaneous combative is key. You HAVE to move it offline otherwise theres no point.

blindfold

I would have to agree that it definitely helps to make sure your speed and discipline is there.

cqbmd

Airsoft

I too am a fan of Airsoft as a training tool, but would like to raise some other concerns as related to Krav. You need to protect your teeth with a mouth guard at least, as well as your eyes, because 6mm pellets can chip teeth fairly easily. They can also tear the skin on you nose or face, but as long as you accept this, it may be no big deal. I also agree that fingers can get broken pretty easily, but cheap, or even not so cheap, Airsoft guns can get broken, too. They are generally made out of inexpensive metal and plastic, and are generally not designed for this type of training. Nonetheless, they can be a good option to relatively safely and inexpensively test your skill, both with firearms and defensive tactics.

jjk

Yea, besides breaking what is essentially a $150 toy, you really don’t want to get shot with those airsoft pellets at blank range. It’s okay if you’re wearing clothing, but bare skin will probably be broken open.

marz

Re: Airsoft

The heck with it, use a paintball gun lol (for more advanced students) thumbsup

louis

I think Airsoft is a viable option for advanced students in training. It is an evolutionary step in the process as some might do for knife defense where you start out with a rubber knife, then wooden, then possibly to a dull blade or marking blade and so on.

I want to emphasize a point point wear the proper safety gear during this type of advanced scenario work.

I would emphasize up to the first counterattack positions. So a simple scenario might be you are at the ATM a guy comes around the corner the pistol is pulled out and pointed to you and the guy asks for your money. That is the bad guy job and it is your job to counter this. So what is your awareness of this and options?

As for the paintball that was mentioned that could be another variation as well but again wear the right protective equipment. Understanding a true hit and the inpact it has on you is a good thing.

Another thought, if you do get hit by the airsoft round or get a marking from a marking blade and so on why not run the drill further as an injured person. Do you know how you would respond not using one arm in a crisis? Could you provide yourself and others the first aid required to make it out in a stressful situation? Play the scene till the end not just one piece of the puzzle.

Louis

giant-killer

Training drills for fighting injured are a good idea. One could pretend that one arm has been immobilized and one only has the other to continue the defense and fight. That sure would make things a lot tougher.

seeq-qc

I use an airsoft handgun, initially because I couldn’t find a good local source for a training gun. Using the airsoft with a training partner in the context of a redirect action/discharge reaction is pretty useless because they know the redirect is coming, so really it’s only as useful as a regular training gun, IMHO.

michaelmall

With paint ball and airsoft the potential of getting hurt is
    great as with paintball being shot close up in the body is
    very dangerous.The ball is traveling at 280 to 300 psi.
    A head shot at this rate could knock you out.Airsoft
    uses a higher rate.So I see it better to use the rubber
    weapons.Even with a paintball or airsoft pistol.

kmcat

On an amusing side note, I was shot with a airsoft “bb” gun in a bike race back in 2006.

This was an “urban challenge” race, held on June 6th, 2006 (The 666 race! Your spoke card with your race number featured a pentagram). This crazy guy in the bike scene here in Kansas City put it on. There was probably between 40 and 50 people doing it.

Not only did you have to race around Kansas City on a pentagram route, at each point you had to do some sort of challenge. One was to copy a graffiti mark down, one was to drink a shot of tequila and the last challenge was to stand in the back yard of one of the guys involved in organizing the race and be shot in the abdomen with an airsoft gun from about 10 ft away.

It stung a little bit but it was not to bad.

You could opt out of any of the challenges but you would not get any points or bragging rights.

Unfortunately for me, I made a wrong turn at one point and lost a lot of time before I got back on course and I came in dead last.

michael

I have a KWA Airsoft Glock 19 clone, and use it during force on force classes. It really shines in this regard, and is very similar to the real thing. The bb’s do come out with some power, and can leave broken skin and sometimes even minor bleeding. Nothing serious at all, as long as eye protection is used. The green gas guns like mine are more powerful than the battery powered or spring powered guns.

I agree with CJ’sDad. They are good for the initial defense to determine if you would have been shot or not, but not much beyond that. The danger is in getting your finger caught in the trigger guard and ending up with a broken digit. I prefer red or blue guns for this purpose, with the fingers OUTSIDE of the trigger guard. It’s just not worth the risk.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: