Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics An incident and a realization about my real enemy…adreneline

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    devilnuts

Re: An incident and a realization about my real enemy…adreneline

quote Kirk:

Read: On Combat by Lt Colonel Dave Grossman

That book is on my list as well. I thoroughly enjoyed “On Killing” and Grossman does a fine job exploring the more violent side of human psychology.

I highly recommend finding someone in your area that teaches some form of Adrenal Stress Training.

Scenario Stress Training is by far one of the best compliments to Krav training. With a good instruction team they can give a student exactly whatís needed to make you feel better about a self defense situation.

We have been conducting full force training for six years to military, LEO, Krav and martial arts students as well as the general public. As posted earlier, nothing will eliminate the adrenal dump in fact, you donít want to. Adrenaline is essential in the ìFight or Flightî mind state. Itís a great pain killer!

Mike

jonj480

I fully agree. At our center in our seminars, we always have “Bulletman fights”, where we are attacked by instructors in full impact suits in varying scenarios. I am not an instructor, so I cant comment on why we do it that way from their point of view, but I can tell you from a participant’s standpoint what it has done for me.

The seminar that we had a couple of weeks ago was a 3-day long weapons focused seminar. At one point in the seminar, I was on my back, in the parking lot, at night, being attacked with a knife. It was a rubber knife, a very familiar training partner, and it still scared the *&^ outta me! My back was getting torn up, I couldn’t see the knife and it was a situation I do not want to be in.

At the end of the seminar, we had our bullet man fights. This for me, was a huge adrenaline dump. I have done these before as I have been training for a while, but you still get nervous. I was told to go to the middle of the room, turn around and close my eyes. The next thing I remember was that the whistle was blowing (signalling the end of the fight). I honestly did not remember anything about the attack or the attacker other than that there was a stick involved somehow.

After the fights are over, we sit in a circle and watch a video replay of the fights. Here is how my fight went from the video replay: I was tapped on the shoulder from behind by my attacker, who proceeded to swing a stick at me, full force, at my head. I executed a perfect stick defense (ear to shoulder, fingers long, etc.) and my counter attack punch was so hard it knocked my attacker off of his feet and sent the stick flying. I continued to punch him as he was falling and mounted him on the ground. I threw 2 or 3 elbows before the whistle blew. I honestly did not remember any of this, it was all pure adrenaline and muscle memory as the result of stress training.

Sorry for the long post, my point is that the chaos drills and stress training work. I cant say how many times I have had issue getting that stick defense correct in class, but under stress and adrenaline, I did it perfectly and couldnt even remember doing it! I am very thankful because I happen to think that here in Phoenix, we have some of the best instructors in the country (of course my opinion is jaded, no disrespect towards anyone else thumbsup). I think that the “type” of training we do in Krav is just as, if not more important than the content. Just my 2 cents.

jl

This is why I like the KM community. Good answers that vary in content, but are all relavent.

During an AD the brain is at work here to protect and preserve the body from harm or critical situation. By harnessing this phenomenon (pressure testing) one can learn to actually excel during high pressure situations (e.g. Spec. Ops, Seal Teams, Delta Force, etc). It does however take intense training that is reality based in nature. In my opinion Krav Maga has developed this style of training to get the student to recognise the situation and then to respond in kind with the proper amount of force. Nothing can directly imitate the pressures of an attack in the streets, but we can come damn close.

Don’t be too hard on yourself for the feeling of survival that your brain sped into your phyche and the AD that was experienced. It is simply your brain telling you that possible or immenent danger looms on the horizon. Embrace that possibility when it occurs, and recognise that it is OK to feel the dump. It is your next response that will make or break your survival ratio. Again, nothing less than intense training can accomplish these things. So when you have the chance, get yourself into a training regimen that leans toward handling attacks where an AD is not only possible but probable. JL

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: