Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Anyone trained with people who know how to use knives?

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    la-revancha

Re: Anyone trained with people who know how to use knives?

quote garddawg:

I have used a knife for a long time. I can cut my own food. I rarely hurt myself with it.

Well played, sir.

+1

mara-jade

quote garddawg:

I have used a knife for a long time. I can cut my own food. I rarely hurt myself with it.

You’re terrible

stevetuna

FFDO –

As a cop, I’ll tell you that I’m way more worried about a bad guy with a knife than a gun. As CJ’s Dad pointed out earlier in this thread, it is quite common to hear that a stabbing victim had no idea that they were being stabbed until after the fact.

ryan

http://www.fbi.gov/publications/leb/2006/march2006/mar06leb.htm

Good info here for anyone interested. You’ll need to scroll down, and look for this article: Edged Weapons: Traditional and Emerging Threats to Law Enforcement.

ryan

Even better:

http://www.personalprotectionsystems.ca/safetyarticles.htm

Scroll down to “Edged Weapons Tactics and Counter Tactics”.

ffdo1234

Ryan and Steve

You both make excellent points. I certainly won’t argue with anything you say here. I suppose what I meant to say was that there is no defense against a bullet in the air except to get out of its way. There are myriad defenses against knives and guns.

Personally, I actually prefer a knife in CQB situations for a lot of the reasons you have spelled out. They are easy to conceal, and generally legal depending on the length of blade. In a close in situation the bad guy won’t know I have it until I make it known. A note on that, just like a gun, IF you pull a knife on someone, you had better be willing and justified to use it. I have actually pulled a knife on a carjacker and it defused the situation before I had to use it. (One of two literally ran away while the main aggressor walked off quickly while cussing me. But, he walked off.)

I will add that in the years I have trained against weapons, I have been “killed” many more times by the rubber knife attacks than my airsoft Glock. But I do remember the onetime I was shot with the airsoft. I told my training partner if I did something he didn’t like, to shoot me. He leveled the gun and popped me twice in the chest from ten feet. Not quite what I meant, and asked him what I did that he didn’t like. He said, “You looked at me….” Pretty hard to defend that.

Anyway, great point gentlemen.

JC

cearball

quote CaptnCornerBanger:

Clearball,

There is a Knife based system called AMOK! you should look into.

Tom Sotis is the founder and it is REALLY BIG in South Africa. The Gardian Angles have adopted it as their standard in SA. There are a few places where you can get training but Tom travels extensively doing seminars.

You can find it at http://www.edgedweaponsolutions.com/

If you carry a folder this is the system to teach you how to use it. It’s the best knife combatives system I have seen. I have attended Tom’s seminars and use it as a complement to Krav. Anytime Tom is in my area I take advantage of the opportunity to train with him.

The seminars usually end with a seudo-tournament where you do full speed Force-on-Force sparing. Really cool stuff……

If you think 360 defense is hard on the forearms, just imagine 2 full days of 360 defense. I recently did a 2 day seminar with Tom over a weekend and we did 360 the Monday after. My forearms were hamburger….:OhMy:

Hope this Helps.

CCB

Sounds good unfortunatly cant carry any type of knife or gun here in the uk. So any incident on the street would have to be dealt with barehanded or with some form of improvised weapon.

Thanks for the posts. My instructor has alot of experience with knives & also hammers the fact that your gonna get cut in such confrontations into our heads ,i dont doubt that.

“And yes we train with people who are well versed in knife from other styles all the time. In fact just the other night BrentW handed me my lunch while I was trying to carve him up. It didnít go so well for me :)”
    CJs Dad do you find this helps your training alot & is there any tips you have regarding fighting someone like this?

Run away & gun i think have been the best suggestions so far :):

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: