Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books Arm swing during round kick

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    oldkmdude

One of the things I’m really enjoying about Krav is the way it uses the basic techniques from Muay Thai and boxing. This has made adjusting to KM easier. The KM round kick is throwing me off a little, though. I’ve been told that in KM, you keep both of your hands up during the kick. Previously, I was taught to swing out the arm on the same side as the kicking foot. This adds to both balance and power. Sure, you have one hand down, but considering the arc of the kick, it seems unlikely that someone could come flying over the top of your leg to hit you on your unguarded side. Also, if you miss, you’ll spin around anyway, so your lead side (with the hand still up guarding the chin) will be facing your opponent.

When I throw the kick without the arm swing, it just feels wrong. The power feels off and the balance feels off. I also noticed that the guy on the front page of kravmaga.com is doing a round kick with the arm swing, so maybe I’m not the only one who feels this way.

So what do you guys think? I’m especially interested in what people with MT experience have to say. Did you adjust to doing the round kick without the arm swing?

lions2011

Re: Arm swing during round kick

This is an easy answer. Muay Thai is right. The low leg kick and elbows is what MT is the king in. So if your old MT instructor told you to the swing the arm do not change at all.
    I am doing krav and will take my first MT lesson in 4 weeks but i would stick to what MT says in this department.

I did boxing in college and Krav instructor told me some things about punching that i did not like. Boxing takes precedents over Krav in punching only. Also the parry defense I found better in boxing than Krav.

I think overall you will find Krav maga very good and enjoying. I have been doing Krav for the last 6 months and will check out MT.

kevinmack

If your training in Krav Maga do it the KM way.

ryan

Did a lot of bare knuckle boxing, huh?

I think the dude needs to stick with what his Instructor is teaching him. What’s to stop me from catching a poorly thrown rear kick to the body and following that up with a backfist to the face and finishing with a single leg sweep? Not the swung arm, that’s for sure…

traveler

I was thinking about this same thing Thursday class and today’s class. I have a tendency to throw my right mt, round kick and extend arm toward the face as I kick. Several years of instructor yelling at me to keep my hands up; as well as partners slapping me in the head if my hand was down.

Think we are all forgetting one thing. Unless you have a running start and decide to chop down a tree “opponent” the round kick is usually thrown after a set up. Left jab, right fake with a devastating round kick to the knee. Finger flick upstairs, whatever sets up.

As I’m posting I’m watching an American Andy Foster on Bodogfight throw a round kick without set up; almost get his leg caught. Amar Suloev-Russian made him pay, over and over. Fight stopped he’ll live to fight another day.

unstpabl1

Have done both. I feel the hands up approach would be safer in a 360 enviorment as opposed to a MT ring where your opponent is standing in front of you

To be honest Thai fighters would rather take a shot to give a shot. They never seemed “to Me” that big on avoidance. Toughness is what makes them. you don’t see a lot of footwork ala boxing in the sport. They pretty much stand in front of each other and exchange

In a venue with weight, size and opponent disparaty defense and avoidance become more crucial. Add a knife or a stick and the reach advantage changes

I feel more power when I drop the hand but I work it more now because I’m in a MT gym. So while it may be more powerful it may be the wrong tool but only you can decide that. I tend to throw thai low kicks w/ hands up because I usually spar w a MUCH better guy with an MMA base. I suck and I’m slow but he tends to make me pay for dropping the hand on those kicks. on the mid to high kicks my head is farther back

In the end its what you feel is best. I don’t think its your job to fit the art/system, its to make the system fit you

lions2011

Unstop makes good points..
    Dont listen to me listen to him.

To Ryan… I See your point too.

don

quote lions2011:

Dont listen to me…

I agree 100%

oldkmdude

The dude will abide. Thanks for the advice, everyone. I think I have to give the KM way a decent shot before I decide it doesn’t feel right. A lot of stuff about boxing and MT didn’t feel natural at first, until I had been doing it for a while.

tzrider

My instructor has not been adamant about keeping both hands up during a round kick. He himself will swing his arm down when throwing the kick, but he definitely keeps the other hand up and his chin down.

kmky

i’m certainly no expert but what i’ve noticed by most people who have been trained in MT is that the arm may swing but the torso moves back at an angle while the arm is cranked. the majority of people who use the arm crank who have never had the benefit of a good MT instructor do not lean back. personally i love it when my sparring partner cranks the arm without leaning back – i can absorb the kick and deliver a left hook to the chin. as a result, i would always suggest keeping the hand up instead of trying to gain a small amount of torque by swinging the arm.

ryan

How to kick… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIb_6uIvuig&feature=related

He doesn’t really get started until about a minute into the vid.

lions2011

When you spar against KM guys .. Having some MT training will be huge huge advantage.
    Most students I have seen in KM do not deliver very good kicks at all. Another reason I am going to start MT next month so I am not one of those.
    Also I have seen many bad elbows too in KM as many students do not have there hand touching there chest during the second half of the move. So they are essentially hitting with the forearm more than the elbow and losing much power. Also do not see very good rotation with hips for many Level 1-3 students in KM for punching, elbows, hammer fist and palm strikes.

When I did boxing 10 yrs ago this really gave me a good foundation and understanding of how to rotate and use your legs and the ground.

oldkmdude

quote Ryan:

How to kick… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIb_6uIvuig&feature=related

He doesn’t really get started until about a minute into the vid.

That’s exactly how I kick!…except much, much softer. That dude looks like he weighs about 130 lb and could break my leg.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: