Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    vishal53080

Hello everyone. Not sure where to look for this. What training excercises are available to avoid hooks and jabs? Currently we have been working on slips and basically dancing out of the way of slower attacks. Blocking is great as well, but i was wondering if there are any training excercises that could help increase either slipping, or simultaneous counters, and agility excercises we can do at home to avoid getting hit in the head. Post up your sparring experiences, what works for you guys, If you guys know of any threads or videos that would be great as well please post em up. Thank you all.
    Vishal

michaelmall

Re: Avoidings hooks and Jabs

Ask Mr Ryan Hoover,He showed a covering move
    that works in the oh shoot response.

oneness

This information is from Bas Rutten Systems.

Jabs defenses:

Moving out of way (cutting angles), slipping, catching a jab, inside defense and loading defense. Constantly change the defenses and don’t stick to just one. Counter using strikes and kicks.

The loading defense, Bas came up with this about 6 years ago and we have used it ever since in the system. In this video there is several pro fighters practicing our defense and counter – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCmoqVt6sws&feature=related

If done correctly, you have more than enough time to counter inside the other persons – left, right combination.

Hook defenses:

Blocking outside(think KM defense #3), moving back, ducking and last covering. The last two, we are not fans of. Do not rely on or using more than once or twice in a round.

There are just a lot of other defenses as well. The main thing is to drill the strikes and counters over and over again. They should become reflexive because you have practiced them over and over. If you have more specific questions, feel free to PM me.

brentw

Excellent advice. Bas’ system is well thought out and works pretty damn well. Damn I loved that class.

quote BrentW:

Excellent advice. Bas’ system is well thought out and works pretty damn well. Damn I loved that class.

Stop posting on the web and go get your senior a cup, BOOT! HAHAHAHA!

oneness

Brent –

Wait until you see our new program(s). We should be finalizing everything up and releasing the material in the next few days.

Would be great to see you at one of the next courses again. Hope all is well.

brentw

Jeremy, I did get him a coffee. That’s why I got a break.

Oneness, I can’t wait. I only get 4 days off at a time now. Not quite enough for a full week of Bas.

kirsten

Well then you are in luck my friend because it isn’t a full week! I designed it around the school owner… and cops =)

brentw

You, my little keg of dynamite, are awesome.

Wait… all of what i did last course but shorter??? Oh, that’s going to cause my head to pop, no rear naked choke needed.

kirsten

Bawhahahaha!! Well thank you! I AM Swedish, seldom lit and very volatile with explosive potential so I can see the correlation!

Its a totally different course… and no, no rear naked choke. But it will have lots of everything we love about Bas Rutten and… well… All I can really say right now is “Join the Dutch Revolution”!! =)

clfmak

The real key for something like this is working with a training partner with progressive resistance. But since you asked what you can do on your own, I highly suggest getting a double end bag and get very comfortable working with it while close. I like this one:
    http://store.titleboxing.com/2indoubendba.html

Used correctly, they improve your head mobility- one of the passive defenses to avoid hooks and jabs is having a mobile head. They will also improve your striking of a moving target- I feel the better you are at attacking with a technique, the better understanding you will bring to the defense.

vishal53080

thank you guys for the advice, and the link, it makes alot of sense to not just do the same thing over and keep mixing it up as well. ill keep training and imply some of the concepts from bass’s video to catch(misdirect) and counter. Bobbing weaving to the outside is what we worked on on wednesday to the outside hand it was also another good technique to add to the arsenal (followed with a jab cross hook). Thank you all for the info.

Anonymous

the best defence against any punch hook or jab i have ever seen is the
    ” full rino ” take a look at it on youtube it is on around the 6 min mark ( 5 min 40 seconds to be exact )

let me know what other people think of it please .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PC8GvE2P1Y

nosceteipsum

franco, the technique you show looks like it may be effective for a single strike to the head. The problem I see with the technique is that you have effectively removed any possibility of a quick counter attack for one. Your hands are out of the fight. It seems like you are putting all your chips on the bet that the attacker will break his hand.
    Also, you are leaving your body wide open. When I saw you do this, I immediately saw a GIANT red target on your liver saying, KNEE ME HARD. You should expect multiple strikes and you should go for the defense that will give you the most options for counter attack and is the safest. Bas’s techniques are the best I’VE seen and they are very close to what Krav Maga WW teaches for these reasons.

nosceteipsum

And putting this into a more self defense perspective, what if you aren’t really blocking a punch and the attacker has a weapon you didn’t see. The redirection and outside defense options give you not only a better defense with which to build an effective counterattack, but are also safer when you end up defending a weapon attack. And now we get into the white meat of Krav Maga. Why would I teach two techniques against a similar attack when I can teach one that will work in multiple scenarios.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: