Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    maddogmean

A few weeks back we were doing some light sparring with MMA style gloves. The instructor made it clear that body shots were ok at 100% because we had chest protectors on…but really light head strikes because of the gloves we were using.

I get paired up with a guy about 50lbs heavier than me. I’ve never trained with him before, so I didn’t know his experience or intensity level. We square up and blam! He hits me with a jab at 100%. Followed by a hook at 100%. I buckle a bit. I turned my back and tell him time out (mistake, I know)…and blam…100% shot to the back of the head.

I tell him he’s dropping bombs with MMA gloves. He doesn’t say a word. The instructor comes by…I asked him “We’re going light, correct?” The instructor confirms.

We start back up…and blam…100% again. I did my best to defend and counter…then time was called.

Now after 3 weeks of daily headaches, I find out from the doctor today that I probably suffered a concussion. It sucks because I’ve been knocked out a few times in the past, and don’t want to suffer any further trauma. Now I’m a little hesitant to jump back into sparring.

jjbklb

Re: Bad Sparring

you need to tell the instructor to have a talk with this guy.For the school,it’s a lawsuit waiting to happen if he doesn’t control this now.

don

Definitely tell the instructor and just spar with people you’re comfortable with from now on, especially considering your previous injuries. What a jackass that guy is for hitting you in the back of the head after you called time!

tzrider

Some guys confuse being a training partner with being an opponent. Good advice to talk to the instructor and perhaps avoid that partner. You’d like to think that most people can be coached into appropriate behavior, but there are a few knuckleheads out there.

bear34

Wow, does this ever hit close to home. I quit training in Krav Maga because our instructors started letting anyone into sparring class. Inexperience(helpless or careless) TKD students who had never taken a Krav class and wanted to practice head kicks and, worst of all, MMA guys who were actually training for fights.

lennykravist

Wow MadDog, I don’t even know what to say to this. I mean, it shouldn’t be that hard to hear and follow those directions. Sounds to me like he’s got some issues, and like the others have already said; talk to your instructors and avoid that guy.

tzrider

quote bear34:

Inexperience(helpless or careless) TKD students who had never taken a Krav class and wanted to practice head kicks and, worst of all, MMA guys who were actually training for fights.

There was a TKD student who had begun sparring with some of us after having trained in Krav for quite a while. His intensity was totally appropriate and he played by the rules given.

He did have some ideas left over from point sparring, including double kicks; starting low and finishing high. The kicks are an efficient way to score in a TKD match, but they don’t have a whole lot of power. He tried that on me three times. The first time he fooled me and landed a round kick to the head after I blocked the first kick to the body. The next two times I kicked him in the groin since he had it exposed so long.

He quit doing it.

maddogmean

quote LennyKravist:

Wow MadDog, I don’t even know what to say to this. I mean, it shouldn’t be that hard to hear and follow those directions. Sounds to me like he’s got some issues, and like the others have already said; talk to your instructors and avoid that guy.

I really think it was inexperience. It seemed like he was pumped at the idea of sparring. Like a kid with the keys to his dad’s sports car. Not sure.

There’s two locations here in town. One has more seasoned students. The other is a newer location with more inexperienced students. This was at the newer place.

He seemed like a nice enough guy when I talked to him before class. I think I may just talk to him next time I see him and let him know that he should watch the intensity when sparring.

magpie

quote MadDogMean:

I think I may just talk to him next time I see him and let him know that he should watch the intensity when sparring.

Hopefully that should do the trick, MDM. I have been told by an instructor to dial it down during light sparring and I always feel like an asshat afterward.

lions2011

Sorry to hear this. Terrible instructor to allow this.

I would avoid the sparing classes if people were just spazzing out with no regard to safety.

In my Muay Thai class we only go lightly so that way everybody has fun and can learn.

Bear?? Were you able to start a new martial arts since what happen to you yet??

Again sparing classes should be controlled and if that is not happening I would not go to them. Instructor sounds like an idiot.

jasonnorin

It is either your sparring partner naturally hits hard that your 100% is just his 50% (considering the size difference) or he is just showing off.. Or, he have some personal issues with you. Your instructor doesn’t know how to properly pair sparring partners.. He’s more dangerous compared to your over-sized training partner in my opinion. And yes, the general rule for sparring is to go lightly – especially when wearing MMA style gloves that is only made to protect your hand, and not the opponent’s body parts. Are you wearing head gear that day?

kravandy

That is some nonsense. If your partner is unwilling to respect your intensity comfort level, and the instructor doesn’t do a thing, don’t spar with that guy despite any pressure you might get to do otherwise. Unless there is a full and mutual understanding that sparring is to be full intensity it is unacceptable to do so. Good fight instructors I have had permanently kick students out of the class if they go too hard after either being asked by their partner or warned by the instructor to tone it down. A core principal of Krav Maga is to go home safe, and while definite risks are inherent with training in general, deliberately creating a dangerous training environment is bull****.:angry:

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Good fight instructors have also been known to put gloves on and enlighten people on the reality of the situation helping them understand the errors of their ways. :chair:

Not suggesting I’ve ever done that but I have heard of such things.

rav373

Definitely, lawsuit here.

maddogmean

quote JasonNorin:

It is either your sparring partner naturally hits hard that your 100% is just his 50% (considering the size difference) or he is just showing off.. Or, he have some personal issues with you. Your instructor doesn’t know how to properly pair sparring partners.. He’s more dangerous compared to your over-sized training partner in my opinion. And yes, the general rule for sparring is to go lightly – especially when wearing MMA style gloves that is only made to protect your hand, and not the opponent’s body parts. Are you wearing head gear that day?

He was a bigger guy. Talked to a few people from some MMA gyms about what happened, they said they never go beyond light taps with MMA gloves. I did have headgear on.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: