Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Balancing Aggression With Tactical Caution

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    tzrider

Re: Balancing Aggression With Tactical Caution

quote TacticalTimmy:

When you are re-engaged, fight like the 3rd monkey in line for the Ark.

rofl2

oldkmdude

I think the aggro monkey approach is probably the right one most of the time. Chances are, the person who’s attacking you will be relatively unskilled and surprised at your response, which should work in your favor. Where you might run into a problem is against a skilled opponent, especially if your initial attacks fail and you find yourself in fighting range, but not far enough away to straight-up run away.

Recent example: I was sparring with a guy, we’ll call him Krotty Dude who had close to zero real sparring experience (but had studied some other martial art). Like with most noobs, I hit him in the face. A lot. But softy, very softy (I’m not an a-hole, after all). Now when someone hits you in the face, the tendency is to want to hit back, so he tried. And tried. Each time he missed, he got more frustrated and more aggressive (but also more predictable) until he was basically swinging for the fences, so it was easy avoid his punches. I finally had to defuse the situation with a joke and sort of snap him out of it (although he still didn’t hit me in the face).

So that’s the only caveat. Against someone who knows what he’s doing, pure aggression may not work. I think drills and pad work are great, but it’s also important to have the tool you get from sparring in your arsenal and know when to use them.

maddogmean

Kravjitsu,

The tough-guy street fight is probably closer to a sparring match than the more dangerous unforeseen, life/death street encounter. The street fight is something that can be avoided in most instances (everything Tactical Timmy addressed above). For most KM students…we would choose to avoid than engage in a silly street fight. Too many things could go wrong.

http://www.onthemat.com/wordpress/proof-sport-bjj-doesnt-work-street-fight/

The more dangerous situation is the unexpected encounter (mugging, assault, abduction, or rape). These are usually fast, violent and ugly. It will look and feel nothing like a sparring session. You will need to match or surpass the attackers aggression and violence with your own. Then ESCAPE. The example below shows a woman being violently attacked by a larger man…she tried to fight back…even used an improvised weapon. It looks like she even created an opportunity to escape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSOtNZTnlyM

don

Hey MDM,

Do you have another link to the first video, didn’t work off that site.

Re: the 2nd video, so typical for the system to let society and the victims down (whether it’s in Canada OR the US) – it’s real easy to let scumbags out when you’re not the one who was victimized and there’s no accountability or responsibility back to you for their continued criminal behavior after you’ve let them out… That guy needs his ass kicked – big time…

don
    maddogmean

That’s it. Same fight but different angle. Guess there were multiple camera phones shooting it.

tzrider

Here is another street fight that is more similar to sparring:

http://youtu.be/rRddLDynsCs

don

LMAO TZ!!! Was that Australian Rules Streetfighting? I was expecting one of them to get KTFO keeping their chins up like that but I guess since they were scoring at will on those low/mid level kicks… 😀

kevinmack

It sounds to me like you are not learning or being taught Krav Maga correctly.

tzrider

quote Don:

I was expecting one of them to get KTFO keeping their chins up like that but I guess since they were scoring at will on those low/mid level kicks… 😀

Kinda makes me wish I had a tail. ;):

kmyoshi

Well therein lies the rub. If it is better for you to “kowtow” and tuck your tail to get out of the situation, than you should do that. That is being tactical. Being tactical is also doing something as simple as flicking your fingers towards their eyes so they flinch for a second then throwing a right cross and rushing in/”going crazy”. You should not be fighting fair. “Fighting fair” would be squaring up and letting them know your intention is to do harm to them. Ideally when you rush in, they won’t be expecting that 0-120 in 1 second flat. That also brings in the OODA loop (observe, orient, decide, act/attack). If you aren’t constantly disrupting their observe/orient phase, than you’re giving them time to think about what to do. Of course, they can always throw a haymaker and land it and knock you out. Is that what you’re referring to? From all the street fight videos I’ve seen, the major issue is the attacking person has their chin way the hell out (not tucked). Sparring will help you learn to not do this … but I agree with your concerns because even pro fighters get knocked out this way…

kmyoshi

quote MadDogMean:

Kravjitsu,

The tough-guy street fight is probably closer to a sparring match than the more dangerous unforeseen, life/death street encounter. The street fight is something that can be avoided in most instances (everything Tactical Timmy addressed above). For most KM students…we would choose to avoid than engage in a silly street fight. Too many things could go wrong.

http://www.onthemat.com/wordpress/proof-sport-bjj-doesnt-work-street-fight/

The more dangerous situation is the unexpected encounter (mugging, assault, abduction, or rape). These are usually fast, violent and ugly. It will look and feel nothing like a sparring session. You will need to match or surpass the attackers aggression and violence with your own. Then ESCAPE. The example below shows a woman being violently attacked by a larger man…she tried to fight back…even used an improvised weapon. It looks like she even created an opportunity to escape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSOtNZTnlyM

First video I can see all kinds of issues had a friend jumped in. For both of the guys.

Second video … holy s#1t! That guy must have been 6’3″+. Guy looked like he has some type of training as well with the sweep that he did on her. Granted she’s much smaller than him… but still. Good for her for grabbing the chair, it bought her some time.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: