Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Bas breaking down Krav gun defenses.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    la-revancha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_8mloYngyg

Ryan, Oneness or Brent: you should mention adding the counter next time you see him. I’M not gonna do it!

iraszl

Re: Bas breaking down Krav gun defenses.

Hope you don’t mind I reposted it here: http://www.kravstation.com/video/video/show?id=1275714%3AVideo%3A4342

I’m glad this video doesn’t show that false technique I’ve seen on YouTube somewhere where you grab the gun with both hands and try to point it upwards.

scholl34

Grabbing the gun with two hands is not a false technique. There are different ways to perform gun defenses and even Krav Maga has several. I am a former teacher in Philadelphia and I can tell you that there are several Krav Maga techniques that involve grabbing the gun with two hands. One is an older technique that is rarely taught anymore unless the gun is extremely high (head level or higher) and the second is just a different way of performing gun from the front which involves controling the weapon with both hands while simultaneously performing a groin kick and then taking the weapon away. Its important to realize that there are many different ways to accomplish the same objective and I have not seen the video you are referring to but generally speaking there are no false techniques. Just techniques that work better or worse than others.

iraszl

I understand, but from what I heard from my instructor that technique you describe is dangerous, because the attacked can easily pull back on his gun and will shoot you. Then again, I’m just a beginner, so I listen to what I’m told.

giant-killer

Bas’ gun from the back looks a bit sloppy, he turns and steps with his left foot instead of with his right.

cmetalman

I was taught that if the gun is off center of your back and closer to the left of the back
    you would turn to their dead side (assuming they are holding the gun in their right hand)
    that way the gun doesn’t travel across your whole back.

cmetalman

In reference to the two hand grab of the gun , gun from the front if the attacker has the gun aimed to the left of the center of your chest your not going to grab the gun with your left hand or your be going across your entire chest, so you need to grab with the right hand out off line off fire cup the left hand attack with groin kicks maybe headbutts if possible . ( it’s been four years since I’ve the krav) is my memory right?

bradm

school34
    Adam, I agree with you 100 % on that one.

mara-jade

quote La Revancha:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_8mloYngyg

Ryan, Oneness or Brent: you should mention adding the counter next time you see him. I’M not gonna do it!

I hadn’t seen gun defense from the back that way. The times I’ve done it, I ended up turning to my left side and it was more stepping in than stepping out.

Hi Adam – just wanted to welcome you back to the forum:wav:

scholl34

Thank you for the welcome back. It has been along time as there is no longer a school in philly. Anyway in reference to the technique bas was teaching on you tube, Bas is a great guy and a huge fan of Krav Maga and if you listen to what he said he is basically telling you to go get instruction from someone from Krav Maga World Wide. He knows that he is not completely qualified to teach gun defenses and encourages you to learn them from someone who is. This is not to say he did a poor job of teaching these defenses but simply that he knows where his expertise is and its not in teaching weapons disarms. PS: if you havnt had a change to train with Bas I highly recommend you do. He is extremely talented person and has alot to teach us all.

In reference to the two handed gun from the front disarm…If you do perform that technique then the groin kick would be the simultaneous counter attack, however I would not recomment a headbut as it is too close range of a weapon and you would risk bringing yourself back into the line of fire which is something you never want to do. Once out of the line of fire, never back in again!

larry-kmoc

quote cmetalman:

In reference to the two hand grab of the gun , gun from the front if the attacker has the gun aimed to the left of the center of your chest your not going to grab the gun with your left hand or your be going across your entire chest, so you need to grab with the right hand out off line off fire cup the left hand attack with groin kicks maybe headbutts if possible . ( it’s been four years since I’ve the krav) is my memory right?

Exactly correct and this two handed technique is the last technique described in the Complete Krav Maga book on page 336.

But it’s not just if the gun is held off to your left of center that you go with the right hand first then join with the left hand. If you have a friend/loved one standing to your right, you may have to choose to take the gun to the left as well and do this two handed “cupping” technique. Or, if the attacker has two hands on the gun to your center, you may have to use the two handed technique regardless of which side you go to since you’ll need more control of the gun to counter the attackers control. The book doesn’t show the front kick counter in the photo sequence but mentions it in the steps.

I think that iraszl was referring to taking the gun straight up as the false/dangerous part, not that using two hands is wrong.

I’ve seen a few YouTube vids of the gun being taken up high… here is one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V6LWQZjYRk&feature=related
    Nice how he points out a familiar “bad” technique.

Lot’s of bizarre gun defenses on YouTube though. I like this one…
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwFfk7igYC0&feature=related
    large hand movements in front of the attacker before any control of the gun and barely any redirection of the line of fire despite the narrator highlighting the importance of it.

cmetalman

In reference to http:youtube.com/watch?v=ov6lw…eature=related ,I guess that would work if the gun is aimed at your forhead , I hope that’s not the same defence if the gun is aimed any lower , I wouldn’t want to pass the gun across my entire face, I,m not that good looking to begin with.

cmetalman

Scholl34 ,did you teach in south philly or kenneth square? I trained under Ernie, Katie and Jason in kenneth square over four years ago , got up to green until the back went out Ernie was a great teacher used to kick my ass in sparring , gave me a bloody nose once then yelled at me for getting blood over his matt, ” good times”

la-revancha

quote cmetalman:

south philly or kenneth square?

Don’t forget about Steven, Melissa, serious Ken, or the LEGENDARY Athena.

[east coast nostalgia] Ah…the good old days. [/ east coast nostaglia]

cmetalman

Athena, wow she was one tuff woman, she used to belong to this group that did this chi thing where they would take full body shots , like punches to the throat and unprotected groin shots, OUCH!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: