Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    blokrocbet

does any one have a routine to help with basic
    conditioning?

sdkraver

Re: Basic conditioning

Here’s my basic week:

Go to Krav 2x week, 2 hours at a time.

Jog 30-60 minutes once per week, that plus Krav is my cardio.

Weight train 2-3 times per week. The more I work on abs and core strength, the better I do in Krav.

With this schedule I’m gradually improving my strength and cardio, which makes me thumbsup

If I’m pretty sure I have a test coming up, I’ll try to add another day of cardio in there.

Hopefully, some responses from Garddawg or others that are very knowledgeable in this area.

freelancer

Gardawg was the one who turned me on to Crossfit. His website is http://crossfitbrandx.com and lots of info on the forums http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index.php/forums

Crossfit main site http://crossfit.com/

nate

Get yourself some Bas Rutten workout tapes. Those will get your conditioning up to speed quick.

I haven’t done Crossfit yet, but I’ve seen the workouts and they’re insane. They would be great too for getting in shape and vomiting your guts out.

leejam99

constantly varied, functional movement, do it at high intensity. http://www.crossfit.com

garddawg

SDKraver,

If you would like to come up and have me introduce you to CrossFit PM me. You would be my guest.

Long slow distance work is actually detrimental to the kind of strength and conditioning we want for fighting.

blokrocbet

Does any one do polymetrics or other exposive strength exercises? Sorry for the spelling

johnl-d11

quote blokrocbet:

Does any one do polymetrics or other exposive strength exercises? Sorry for the spelling

Yes, like everyone said. CrossFit is all you need.

blokrocbet

I read the cross fit site sorry i just dont get it. I dont mean to sound like a beginer but i am

freelancer

Basically it’s a 3 on 1 off rotation with (like leejam said) constantly varied functional movements that help all areas of atheticism. Common exercises include olympic lifts, body weight excercises, runing, plyo, etc.

The main site posts a WoD (workout of the day) and is usually a timed event or max weight event.Examples of all the exercises are on the main site. Gardawgs site helps us less than optimized athaletes scale the WoD to a level that fits with in our ability.

edsko

quote garddawg:

SDKraver,

Long slow distance work is actually detrimental to the kind of strength and conditioning we want for fighting.

I’m a little surprised by that statement; although most of my conditioning training is crossfit-like (there are no crossfit classes here, unfortunately–it looks awesome!), I like to go running if I’m on holidays and have no gym nearby. Are you telling me that running is actually /detrimental/? As in, if you go running regularly your “fighting fitness” will go down?

saruotoko

quote edsko:

I’m a little surprised by that statement; although most of my conditioning training is crossfit-like (there are no crossfit classes here, unfortunately–it looks awesome!), I like to go running if I’m on holidays and have no gym nearby. Are you telling me that running is actually /detrimental/? As in, if you go running regularly your “fighting fitness” will go down?

I think I know where he’s coming with his statement. Intermediate to long-distance running isn’t good for your fighting as it doesn’t develop (or more likely maintain) your rapid-twitch muscle fibers.

You already know that we want to explosively defend/counterattack and disengage as quickly as is feasible to keep us safe. So, running at a steady pace for 5-10 miles may be great for your overall fitness, but doesn’t help your limbs move explosively to counter and defend against attacks that well.

If you DO want to keep running as part of your fitness routine when Krav Maga and CrossFit (go LeeJam!) isn’t available to you, try this exercise. Warm yourself up appropriately, and time yourself for a 1-minute sprint. Run as HARD/FAST as you possibly can for a full minute, then stop. Catch your breath completely and let your heart rate get back to something approaching normal. This could take anywhere from 3-7 minutes.

Then, as the shampoo bottle says….lather, rinse, repeat. Train more like a sprinter than a marathoner and your running will be more conducive to your Krav training.

Mario

garddawg

Edsko,
    Where are you in Ireland? I have friends there. May be making a run that way in the next year or so to do some certifications.

What follows is a gross overview and simplification:
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with occasionally training in the oxidative pathway, or what we think of as aerobic training. Heck, we might find ourselves in a fight 5 miles from civilization and have to run for help. But making long slow distance (LSD) running a cornerstone of your conditioning program is detrimental to a fighter. Here comes the gross overview. Humans have three types of muscle fibers. Type I which are generally considered slow twitch, and are primarily used for LSD. Type IIb which are fast twitch and are used for explosive movements but fatigue easily. Type IIa which have many of the characteristics of fast twitch muscles but also characteristics of Type I fibers.
    The amount of each of these fibers in an individuals body is of course genetic and the mix is dependent on the muscle.
    Interesting thing about Type IIa fibers, they take on the characteristics of the Type 1 or Type IIb depending on the type of training you do. So if you spend a great deal of time training LSD the Type IIa fibers in your body will begin to act like Type 1 fibers. In essence they will lose their ability to be explosive.
    On the other side if you spend time training in the Creatine Phosphate and Glycolytic pathways Type IIa fibers will take on the characteristics of the Type IIb fibers. In essence you will become more explosive, more powerful.

So if you train LSD you will convert some of your muscle fiber over towards this type of use. Another point, to take into consideration. Training in the Creatine Phosphate or Glycolytic pathways has carry over into the aerobic work. Training in the Oxidative pathway (aerobic work) has very little carry over to anaerobic work. Mountains of research to show this.

edsko

quote garddawg:

Edsko,
    Where are you in Ireland? I have friends there. May be making a run that way in the next year or so to do some certifications.

I’m in Dublin. If you do come over, make sure to visit! (pm me for details.)

Thanks for your explanation. I had been half-thinking of making running a significant part of my training (in addition to, however, and not replacing, high intensity training) as I figured it would help me improve endurance. It probably wasn’t going to happen due to time constraints, but I was feeling a bit bad about it — now I don’t have to anymore 🙂

So what would be the recommended way to build up endurance? Crossfit-style training, but longer? (I’m thinking black belt test.. 😉

edsko

.. or am I missing the point still? Would you say not to do any endurance training at all?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: