Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Baton, Spray, or Taser?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    armitage

Hi all,

Firstly on a side note, apologies to the folks in CO for not making it to the Wednesday night class – the wife and I weren’t feeling as well as we’d hoped after the long flight the day before and had to postpone it. We’re planning on making the Monday night class (would have gone to Friday but I was doing a ride-along with Summit County Sheriffs Dept 😀 )

Now onto the main question – I was looking in a general weapon store today and was considering buying something else for self-defense beside my Krav training! They had a variety of ASPs, pepper sprays, and tasers for sale, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on which would be best, and if there were any recommendations for books/DVDs to help with the training side?

At the moment I’m leaning towards an ASP, as it would have additional safety uses besides defense (e.g. in the car, having to smash open a window in case of emergency)…but any advice or suggestions are welcome! 😉

kravjeff

Armitage –

I actually had something come up on Wed and wasn’t there either. After training this morning I asked Al if he’d met you – He wasn’t there either … I won’t be there on Monday, but will be Wed and Friday – Hopefully we can hook up one of those nights.

To your question: First, I’ve never had to use any weapon (fortunately). My personal choice of the three you listed is OC spray. I’ve read many reports from LEO that the ASP is inefffective, though I can honestly say that I’ve never even held one. Tazers can be effective, but if you’re talking about the handheld type, you have to be in close to use it, potentially opening yourself up to attack. Additionally it’s my understanding (from reading only) that in order for it to be effective, you have to get a good solid \”connection\” (prongs) and perferably on skin – Less effective with heavy clothing. In my mind, spray, while not always effective (some can fight through), will minimally be effective as a distraction, giving me the upper hand while I either escape or transition to combatives.

Not sure where you stand on firearms, but keep in mind that you now live in a state that allows concealed carry – My personal preference.

Best,
    KJ

blindfold

Just my opinion

I have had some experience with all 3 of these choices. The option you choose has to be what you are most comfortable with. They all have negastives and positives about them. The ASP is great and multi purposed, but it may collapse down or not expand fully in a stress filled situation. Mostly due to human error. The taser is not going to be very effective at a distance or through thick clothing , if you live in a colder environment. Last but not least, OC spray is good if the brand you buy is effective, the person is close enough for the propellant to push the spray, and hopefully mother nature is on your side and the wind is cooperative. They all take training to use and with that can all be effective. Along with proper replacement or maintenance. I personally choose the ASP. I spent alot of time training with one and know of several incidents where the other choices were not effective under the above mentioned circumstances. This is just my opinion of course.

Oh and by the way, I love being part of this forum and have read these articles for a while now.

armitage

Thanks for the advice guys…I may get both OC and ASP, then see which I prefer after practicing with them. I do intend to get a concealed carry firearm eventually once my residency comes through (has to be at least 6 months to apply for one), but in the meantime I’ve got my first handgun lesson booked up for Tuesday lunchtime 😀 I’ve used them before with friends, but never had any \”formal\” training like I have with rifles and shotguns back in the UK, so very much looking forward to it! BTW KJ, my real name is Alex, Armitage is just the forum name I go by (to avoid confusion when we finally meet! 😉 )

Hopefully I’ll get plenty of training if I manage to get into LE or the military (the two careers I’m aiming for atm), but I figure it doesn’t hurt to start in the meantime 😀

juszczec

Re: Baton, Spray, or Taser?

quote \”armitage\:

(would have gone to Friday but I was doing a ride-along with Summit County Sheriffs Dept 😀 )

Summit County in Ohio?

My personal preference is something like a bat or 2×4. So I’ve gotta go with the ASP.

Mark

armitage

Summit County in Colorado, Mark – based in Breckenridge. I’m only here on a Temporary basis for the moment, waiting till my Green Card comes through before we do the final move back to the US (my wife is american, I’m british). In the meantime, I’m trying to figure out a job for when we get back 😉

kravjeff

Alex –

Are you living in Summit Valley or are you in the metro area?

Hopefully we’ll meet this week – Welcome to the U.S.!

Jeff

armitage

Jeff,

We’re living in Wheat Ridge at the moment, with my in-laws – I was checking out Summit County as it’s one of the few departments without a US Citizenship requirement for employment.

Alex.

clfmak

Check out the Comtech Stinger. They work into krav very well, and are small enough to carry wherever. They have them at http://www.jamesakeating.com

kravjeff

Is that what it looks like? Simply proturding from between the fingers??? OUCH!

I think this, or a kubotan is a great idea, but again, both require that you either close the distance or are already being attacked …

kirsten

You have to get in close with the ASP also so if you have a choice between ASP and Taser… go with the Taser!

I just got hit with one again the other day, 5 seconds of puurrre punishment! The civilian cartridge has a range of 15 feet but the Taser fires for a full 10 seconds AND you can stack the charges. Pull the trigger 3 times and you get 30 seconds! Ouch!

This allows you to drop the Taser and RUN. If you do this, Taser will GIVE you a new one to replace it for FREE! Very cool! I want to get one for my mom!

http://www.taser.com/self_defense/index.htm

Get the X26c. It uses what is called \”shaped pulse\” and utilizes the charges better using less Joules. It’s more money but very worth it!

If you go with OC and a Taser… make sure the propellant is water based and non-flammable or you will have a human torch if you spray then Taze!!

Good luck!

kravjeff

Looks good Tomoe — What’s the cost on that thing? I couldn’t find one without creating an accout that required my SSN (something I’m not willing to do).

kmcat

Re:

[quote=\”Tomoe_Gozen\”]…

If you go with OC and a Taser… make sure the propellant is water based and non-flammable or you will have a human torch if you spray then Taze!!

——————————————————

Oooo, Aaaaaa!

Check local laws before deciding on an ASP. A concealed ASP will get you thrown in jail in California.

la-revancha

Sr. Stafford! Welcome to the forum. I stopped by the ol’ stomping grounds last week. Sorry to have missed you and da Lynch Mob.

Send the Chatsworth crew my best.

Apologies for the hijack.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: