Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    freelancer

Was going over some defensives this week and I took a look at the video for the bear hugs with both arms free and arms held down at your side. Both of these defensives were for a hug from the front, the video does not go into hug from the rear.

Can someone please give me an outline as to the defensives for this attack?

Thanks

bracius

Re: Bear hugs

Others are welcome to correct my level one experince:

Arms pinned to the side
    Optional: start with foot stomp
    1) Slide your hips quickly to one side and open palm slap the genital region.
    2) same arm, elbow up into chin
    3) about face into knee/groin strikes

Arms over bear hug
    1) from one side to the other deliver horizontal elbows
    Optional: make a trick elbow blow by faking to one side and then snap back to the elbow you just threw.
    2) Once space is created, like a clock, start delivering elbow to one side as you turn into the finishing stance of knee/groin strikes.
    3) Finish with knee/groin strikes and giggle uncontrollably

satilan

I’m not an instructor, but I’ll try if you don’t mind.

– The primary danger of such an attack is to be picked up in the air and tossed on the ground, or just picked up and carried away (kidnap).
    – The secondary danger is the fact you’re being held down in one spot, exposing you to more attackers or, in the latter case of your arms being held down, immobilizing you and exposing you even more to other attackers.

To address the primary danger of being picke up, for both attacks, you want to bend at your knees and slightly at your waist to lower your center of gravity and hence become a little more “heavy” so that the attacker has more trouble picking you up and tossing you. Try this with a friend, have him try to pick you up with a bear hug from the back/front while you just stand regularly and then have him try to pick you up while you’re low like I described. This concept is called “Contra” (close to the word “counter”). It’s important to note that when you perform this move, you don’t do it gradually, but you “snap” from standing up straight to this crouched position, think about punching your opponent with your butt – this is important as it created a little more distance between you and your opponent, you’ll see how this is important in the second part of the defesne.

Now, in order to address the second danger and because eventually, the attacker will be able to pick you up, you must get out of the hug. The Contra only gives you an extra moment but it cannot be the only defense as you’re still held down. So what do you do? As in any other KM technique, you move fast from the defensive to the offensive. But here we need to split the attack into its to cases:

1. Arms held in the hug – from the low Contra position you rotate slightly left and right repeatedly with your upper body allowing you hands to hit your attacker’s groin over and over (slapping his groin with your palms). Once you get a small reaction from him, you can either use your hands to go to his hands and break the hold using leverage on the fingers, or – if you have enough room by now, turn to face him and turn the attack to basicaly, a front bear hug. (By now you should be able to go to his face and eyes).

2. With you hands free – from the low Contra position use back turning elbows to strike at his head… go right and then left and then right really fast and hard. You can also break the rythm and hit twice with the left and once with the right but the point is to hit the side of his head. Then you can use a back kick with your ankle into his groin and then go for his hands and break the hold (if it still persists) in a similar fashion to what I’ve alredy described above.

Hope this helps.

bracius

I totally forgot! Yes, you base first on both moves with the butt punch thing he was talking about.

Told you I was level one 😛

freelancer

Nice! thanks guys. I vaguely remember this from my level one classes but it’s been so long…

quote Satilan:

1. Arms held in the hug – from the low Contra position you rotate slightly left and right repeatedly with your upper body allowing you hands to hit your attacker’s groin over and over (slapping his groin with your palms).

What about just getting a hold of his groin and squeezing?

Thanks again for the help.

kellycampbell

When grabbed from behind, immediately drop your weight down and forward to make yourself more difficult to lift (if you have space , BASE). If you have no space strike to create space then base.
    With your arms Free:
    With the immediate dropping of your weight down and forward this very well could expose the attacker face and is available for your first counter attack: send elbow strikes backwards to the attacker’s face. Always send a “one-two” combination using both elbows. If the elbow creates space, turn and continue with strikes.
    If the elbow does not create the space needed to turn in continue with additional strikes. Stomps to the feet, heel strikes to the shins or my personal favorite uppercut back kick to the groin.
    If the grip is still tight you can also strike to the back of the attackerís hand.
    With arms Caught and some space:
    As you base use your arms to create space by striking at the groin – the attacks should cause damage but also create movement in your body so you are hard to hold.
    While keeping a good base make additional counterattacks. All noted above as well as elbows to the body.
    As soon has enough space is created, turn in to face the attacker and continue counterattacking.
    There are a few other variations but the basic principle is to Base, Space and Attack Attack Attack.

kc

kmtakinkm

I was also taught that if you feel yourself getting picked up, either by suprise or the attacker is much bigger (where the weight drop will not work), lock your foot around the backside of the attackers leg. Your foot will likely be on the calf or the back of the knee area and you should gain some leverage. This may not stop him throwing you but it may buy you time to perform the techniques mentioned.

bracius

Wow, gold nugget of info.! Things I need to add to my practice routine.

But one thing that is bugging me…. can you still keep giggling while you are plowing through them? Is that taboo?

freelancer

Good info. Thanks again.

clfmak

quote KMtakinKM:

I was also taught that if you feel yourself getting picked up, either by suprise or the attacker is much bigger (where the weight drop will not work), lock your foot around the backside of the attackers leg. Your foot will likely be on the calf or the back of the knee area and you should gain some leverage. This may not stop him throwing you but it may buy you time to perform the techniques mentioned.

This is the basic lift defense stuff I learned in a judo for self defense course. There’s some other advantages to this as well, for instance it makes it very hard for them to bridge backwards into a suplex.

mara-jade

This is in level 3 which is bearhug from behind with liftthumbsup

bushwhacker

Yeah , there are many techiniques for bear hugs for example you’re the person attacking and you want to counter attack the counter attack of your opponent, if your opponent strikes your groin it will make space for the both of you while there is a space between the both of you , you can go for a hip throw like an utchi mata.(hope this helps) thanks

rick-prado

We immediately drop our weight, foot stomp and wrap our leg around the inside of their calf. Very hard, to get thrown that way.

We also do not even bother with elbows anymore.

The reason is this:

We assume a worst case scenario, that the attacker is skilled and not a novice.

If the attacker buries his head into your back, your elbows will not connect and precious time will be wasted.

We attack the hands, knuckles, creating pain and damage, and escaping into an arm bar if possible or to continue further attacks.

Easiest method I learned was step your foot out to the outside of your opponent so that his leg is between your legs, drop your weight and thrust your hips backwards into him, then reach down, grab his leg and pull it up using only your hands, causing him to fall down nastily. It’s really quick and effective.

clfmak

I’ve often seen that followed with a kneebar.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: