Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    rick-prado

Re: Bear hugs

quote Liquid Rockface:

Easiest method I learned was step your foot out to the outside of your opponent so that his leg is between your legs, drop your weight and thrust your hips backwards into him, then reach down, grab his leg and pull it up using only your hands, causing him to fall down nastily. It’s really quick and effective.

Yep. Like that one too. It may pose a problem with multiple attackers when you wind up on the ground.

Why do you end up on the ground? Your attacker ends up on the ground, you have an option to run in the opposite direction or whatever you want.

CLFMak please explain the transition to kneebar. It sounds logical but I can’t quite work out exactly how one would go about doing it.

FYI our follow-up once they are on the ground is to swivel around 180 degrees on the leg which is not between their legs (for a reason that soon will be clear!) then punch them in the face and then knee them in the groin with the leg that remained between their legs.

I used it against a guy who was much bigger than me, and he dropped like a stone. Also the smallest girl in our class, who’s around 5’2″ and probably weighs like 110 pounds could drop the biggest guy without any effort.

I guess that a good counter to the move (although you’d have to be very alert to the move and also very quick thinking) would be that as they step their leg out you step your leg out too, or you try kick them in the groin. However there really isn’t much time for the second option as you are supposed to put your leg out and grab their leg pretty much simultaneously.

kmky

I think CLFMak is talking about something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfauTWYuI6g

rick-prado

If you pull up and do not either sit back or go on your side to rip up his knee, then you can stay standing. If you do it the way KMKY’s video describes, or if you hold onto the ankle and drop your weight onto his stomach, you will be on the ground.

FYI, what I mean is that by going straight back onto the stomach, holding ankle close to you and extending backwards as you sit, you shred the back of the leg.

Good techniques all, just like anything else, situational.

clfmak

You can also bar the knee from a standing position by using your own leg as the fulcrum, like the ending position in this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtciJ0Me0F0
    In that way, its very easy to let go and run etc.

miche

I’m going to have to go with Kelly on this one. Having been to one of her seminars I can say from first hand experience she’s awesome.

Also from a womans perspective I have to add that I have zero desire to go to the ground – EVER. I want to address the immediate danger just like the principles teach us then get the heck out of there.

Not sure I want to roll around on the ground with some bug guy trying to do me harm.

bradm

“Not sure I want to roll around on the ground with some bug guy trying to do me harm. ”

But, what if it happens, will you be ready?

cmetalman

My groundfighting/grounddefense sucks, thats one area I need to practice on. I’m like a turtle on its back…just thought I’d share.

miche

quote BradM:

But, what if it happens, will you be ready?

That’s a rather personal question

Yes I will be ready.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Miche

Having seen your response before you edited it I think I understand where your coming from.

I’m sure that Brads intention was not to stick his foot in his mouth, he was more then likely saying it out of concern. Some people type before they think.

Train Hard Go Home Safe~

mara-jade

quote Miche:

Iím going to have to go with Kelly on this one. Having been to one of her seminars I can say from first hand experience sheís awesome.

Also from a womans perspective I have to add that I have zero desire to go to the ground ñ EVER. I want to address the immediate danger just like the principles teach us then get the heck out of there.

Not sure I want to roll around on the ground with some bug guy trying to do me harm.

I hear ya Miche! That’s also the last place I wanna be. I’m kinda small (5 foot 2) so I just wanna get it over with and LEAVE.

I’ve read good things about Kelly as well thumbsup

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: