Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics BECOMING AN INSTRUCTOR

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    hollywood

you long should a person have trained before taking the training camps to become an instructor? from my understanding you would go to a training camp for a week (i don’t know how many times) to become an instructor. any info would help. thanks

hollywood

does anyone know anything concerning this?

johnwhitman

Hey Hollywood,

The truth is, the amount of experience needed depends on your ability to pick up information and physical skills quickly.

We’ve had people go through our course with minimal Krav Maga experience and do amazingly well.

We’ve also had people with multiple years of experience fail.

The course is extremely intense, and is designed to take you forward from the beginning, so in theory, if you’re sharp, physically talented, and already comfortable communicating information, you can get through it with no real experience.

Having said that, having 1-2 years already under your belt is a huge plus.

hollywood

johnwhitman,

thanks!

i am planning on doing the training once the timing is better.(just married, bought house, ect.) but mentally and physically i’m ready! thanks again.

chevkravdet

Hollywood,

What is your Krav experience? I only ask because I’ve seen people come into Krav before that look like they’re in good shape and say they are and they get done w/ a class and realize they really weren’t. Not sure what your level is and not trying to offend you. Just trying to give some advice before getting certified. I know a handful of instructors who have gone through it and 2 are personal friends of mine and I know they went through hell at training. Not in a bad way but you’ll be pushed to your absolute limits. Krav Maga does in awesome job of making sure the instructors they cert. are the best of the best.

If you know all of this and have been training, then I apologize. Again, not trying to insult you.

la-revancha

My working rule of thumb to optimize phase A success: don’t go until you’re LIII.

Worked for me.

I am in agreement with the last post; for most people. It will all depend on the individual of course. I have seen some people in outstanding physical and mental condition crack under pressure.

I think is is also crucial to be a part of an existing Krav Maga school and attend instructor training. There have been many people who attempt this without the proper guidance of a certified instructor and fail miserably.

No sense in putting that kind of time and effort into something without being absolutely prepared.

hollywood

i just got through with my level II test. i have been training for a little over a year. i train hard and my instructor is great at pushing me to that limit. which i’ve grown up playing sports, so i’ve been pushed to that limit plenty in my life time. its fun to me (at least when its over and done.LOL) as for being in shape, i know exactly what you meant. i thought i was in shape when i first started training last year, but i realized there is a big difference in being in \”fight shape\”.

thanks for the advice!

A Good Instructor

A Good Instructor (to me):

Instructor Presence:
    A good instructor has a command presence, takes pride in their appearance, and strives to set the physical example maintaining a high degree of physical conditioning this will instill confidence in what they teach. A good instructor is also a positive motivated individual. A good instructor puts the needs of their students above their own.

Class Preparation:
    A good instructor is prepared for every class; they show a thorough knowledge of the course material. A good instructor plans out drills in advance and will practice those drills to ensure they will be fruitful training experiences (and appropriate to the students level/abilities) prior to putting the students through them.

In Class Instruction:
    A good instructor communicates each lesson in a way that can be easily understood. A good instructor is also able to be spontaneous and change things up to keep them interesting and can foster and encourage full student participation. A good instructor will praise you in public for the things you do right. If you make a mistake in your technique they will never tell you that you are doing something wrong without fixing it immediately. A good instructor will strive to give the most precise instructions concerning in-class exercises and will never start a drill until everyone is on the same sheet of music. A good instructor knows how to handle a difficult student. A good instructor answers studentís questions in a professional (not demeaning to the student) manner. A good instructor strives to provide realistic tough training that constantly reinforces the basics and instills a high level of self confidence in their students.

A Few Arguments for being a student prior to being an instructor:
    1.) You will have a good solid foundation.
    2.) You will know the frustrations of being a student.
    3.) You will have earned the respect of coming up through the ranks (this is especially important if you have no prior training or experience).

Fighting American ìThese Belts Arenít Issued Theyíre Earned.î

kravdaj

Have you asked your Chief Instructor about apprenticeship?

la-revancha

Hey, Hollywood:

To echo the previous comment, did you make your intentions apparent to your instructors?

On a sidenote, ask Todd Mashburn about Mark Cox. He was my very first KM instructor back in the day. See if he knows Jeremy Stafford. That’s my peeps right there!!

I agree with Matt, that there are always exceptions. Remember there are no guarantees: of the 4 guys from my previous school that didn’t make it, 2 were in exceptional shape. You need insight on the technique (that’s why I recommend LIII), and also a knack for articulating what you know.

Most people fear public speaking more than death, so I hope you’re not shy!!!

Having a team (MORE than simply one guy/gal) around you that has been through phase, or the entire phase program, is like having Emanuel Stewart or Militech as a mentor. Looks like you’re in good hands with the GA folk.

la-revancha

Oh, and one last rule of thumb:

unless you strike like Buakaw or Marcus Kowal, hold off on MMA until BJJ purple.

*steps off soapbox*

hollywood

la revancha,
    yes, my instructors know i am interested. i was approached about becoming an instructor awhile back and i just wanted to be fully committed before i did it. i also wanted to know what some more of you guys that have been through it thought.

how do you know Todd Mashburn?

glenngordon

La Revancha,

How are you my friend? Recovered from Black Belt yet?

That’s funny about Marcus. We met in Phase B waayyy back when and we’ve been training partners ever since. First time I’d ever been hit with a spinning heel kick…and last…:)

Matt,

How are things in Charleston? We’ve never officially met but I believe we have a mutual aquaintance from Florence, South Carolina…Drop me a line sometime.

la-revancha

Hollywood,

Haven’t met Todd yet, but I’ve heard Sr. Cox talk about him a few times. He’s learned under Mark and has that KM black belt, so I know his pedigree is sound 8) .

What’s up, Mel Gibson!!

Yeah, I’m recovered. The pinched nerve is there every now and then, and the meniscus is good as new, or at least until Brent stops ducking me.

*hides*

The first time I sparred Marcus, he was in elbowing-distance….and axe-kicked me in the forehead……WTF?!?!?!?!

I’ll be seeing you soon, Sr. Gordon!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: