Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    johnwhitman

JFOX, a portion of your post was deleted. I hope you will forgive. As this thread proves, we are tolerant about criticism of our program. However, the source you cited is slanderous and I won’t support it by having it on my forum.

To others: JFOX’s comment itself has been maintained, but a reference to another commentary has been deleted.

To all: all our instructors go through the same tests, and many fail. We do our best to police them after the fact, and we are ALWAYS trying to improve this. Sometimes we are more successful than other times. Where we fail, hopefully the market will make corrections.

What I WILL say is this: no one else is out there devoting itself to maintaining quality the way we are. We expend almost all of our resources on continuing education, free seminars for instructors to maintain their skills, etc.

johnwhitman

Black Belt Brian,

I suppose I am the \”Powers That Be.\” I did not respond to your comment because it had already been discussed in an earlier thread under the topic of midterm tests. I assumed forum readers would find that thread.

Also, no calls came to me. My email is all over this forum, and I’d have been happy to answer, as I did when it came up before.

We are not sure if we’ll incorporate it at our training centers…HOWEVER, we did discuss it with school owners and, frankly, I don’t think it’s a bad idea. Students are always asking if we think they are ready for a test. It’s hard to answer definitively…until they are testing. The idea of a midterm test, to see how one is doing so far, seems like a good idea to me.

And yes, schools are totally free to add it if they wish. Our requirements are for the actual belt test — we do not dictate all the school’s business practices.

jfox

Mr Whitman,

As I posted in another thread \”A few Thoughts\”, I appreciate your service. With that said, I dont mind the fact that you deleted my post, or parts thereof, it wasn’t intended to discredit you or the organization. I mentioned in the other thread that I do not know the politics behind KMAA, nor do I care to know them. I have just started to practice Krav Maga, and thats all I want to do. Go to class and learn.

vwr32

Re:

quote \”johnwhitman\:

We are not sure if we’ll incorporate it at our training centers…HOWEVER, we did discuss it with school owners and, frankly, I don’t think it’s a bad idea.

I dropped km back at christmas due to illness and holiday finances… the break sort of broke my momentum and I’ve been lazy until recently. Dying to get back to class now tho.

The mid-tests dont’ bother me much, at least it would let me know how I’m doing. One complaint I had was the lack of feedback from the instructors concerning advancement. I was in level 1 for six months without so much as a word… and a guy I knew who started just after me moved on to level 2 within the second month he was there. I guess I didn’t feel left out until he said the instructor had approached him about the change lol. I won’t slam his training, but I sure felt I was way beyond his level of punching/striking ability.

It wasn’t that I hadn’t been asked to attend lvl 2 so much as nobody took the time to explain how the system works or why I needed to stay in level one or that I could move on at will… lol, I still don’t know.

I’m trying to talk my wife into joining too when I go back. One thing stated earlier in this thread has me concerned tho… the mixed ages in the classroom? I’m going to feel like a bully if I have some 13 year old flying around at the end of my knee. Although I suppose everyone there has signed the waiver… 😈

Maybe I should add the \”Bobby\” punching dummy to my home gym.

j/k 😀

mara-jade

\”I’m trying to talk my wife into joining too when I go back. One thing stated earlier in this thread has me concerned tho… the mixed ages in the classroom? I’m going to feel like a bully if I have some 13 year old flying around at the end of my knee. Although I suppose everyone there has signed the waiver..\”

Get her to try a class.. Talk about marriage therapy 😀 . On 4/26 it’s been 3 years for myself and hubby. We passed level 2 last year but slow getting to level 3 (things happening at home, etc). You know how that goes 😀 . I don’t mind the mixed ages in class. You gotta train with all kinds to know you’re doing it right in my opinion 😉

On the subject at hand, I do have to say while I wouldn’t mind a midterm test if my center had it, I’m not so sure on 1/2 belts. How would would one separate the various moves to determine what to test on? I know for level 3 I’d rather get that sucker over with when we’re ready to test 😀

hammerfist

I personally don’t see the need for half-belts in Krav Maga, although a mid- term evaluation may be ok, I think the belts should be awarded in the same fashion that they always have been. That’s one thing that sets this system apart from alot of other systems. You earn the rank that you get, not because of time,$,kissin ass, or whatever. I took a serious beating from Amir and Marcus at my Blackbelt test, and I had f’d up my back during the first part of the test, hyper-extended my left elbow three times during the throws and broke a bone in my foot during the jump kicks. I sucked it up , survived the test , and \”would not\” have wanted it any other way. I totally expected that the test would be the ultimate of all tests and it was. I have a deep love for this system and what it has done for me and the way it has helped my students. My number one priority is still the safety of the people that I teach. I will never let money or extra fees hinder that. Yeah ,I like to make a living, but there is something that can always be worked out. my vent Mark KM Hammond La.

anonymous

Re:

quote \”johnwhitman\:

Black Belt Brian,

I suppose I am the \”Powers That Be.\” I did not respond to your comment because it had already been discussed in an earlier thread under the topic of midterm tests. I assumed forum readers would find that thread.

The Powers that be are the people that I was given voice mail for that never returned my calls.

Also, no calls came to me. My email is all over this forum, and I’d have been happy to answer, as I did when it came up before.

I do believe I E-Mailed you.

We are not sure if we’ll incorporate it at our training centers…HOWEVER, we did discuss it with school owners and, frankly, I don’t think it’s a bad idea. Students are always asking if we think they are ready for a test. It’s hard to answer definitively…until they are testing. The idea of a midterm test, to see how one is doing so far, seems like a good idea to me.

And yes, schools are totally free to add it if they wish. Our requirements are for the actual belt test — we do not dictate all the school’s business practices.

thats why the Krav Maga name is worthless now, a lack of standards.

ryan

Krav Maga’s name is worthless? Man, I wish someone had told me. Maybe we should do a press release or something. I wonder why so many people want a piece of something with no worth?

KM is MUCH more standardized, with many more quality control measures than any other style/art/system I know of: sambo, BJJ, TKD, aikido, karate, systema, boxing, wrestling, et al.

Maybe I am too new at this to really understand the issue…but aren’t red/brown and red/black half belts? It would seem to be that half belts at the lower level would make just as much sense as the upper belts. If you don’t have the fundamentals then you can’t advance (says the single-striped white belt..lol).

I can understand the frustration with fees, and if the National Center doesn’t require them, why people might get upset about it…however, it seems to make sense in the grand scheme of things.

Although- I’d think that if you were requiring half belts at every level that some of the cost of the belts and the tests would be added into your monthly fee, as it could get really out of hand.

As for the mixed age levels…I’m sure that some of the kids in my class are as young as 16, but really, it takes all kinds to do this…and if you’re flipping them around the mat like rag dolls then maybe you should tone it down a bit. 😉

Just my $.02.

Jenn

anonymous

Re:

quote \”Ryan\:

Krav Maga’s name is worthless? Man, I wish someone had told me. Maybe we should do a press release or something. I wonder why so many people want a piece of something with no worth?

KM is MUCH more standardized, with many more quality control measures than any other style/art/system I know of: sambo, BJJ, TKD, aikido, karate, systema, boxing, wrestling, et al.

Ryan, you always have been a smartass. And one of the main reasons I left this forum for about a year, it seems no one can post an opinion that opposes yours without you being a dickhead. When there is no real control over what is being taught under the name \”Krav Maga\” then there is no worth to that name. Just like the other styles you mentioned. People will jump on the band wagon of anything that will make them $$$$. Look at the rottwieler Craze, for a while everyone wanted that breed, did that mean they were quality dogs? No, quite the opposite, you had breeders out there just in it for a buck. The same is true for Krav Maga and every other martial art, there are folks out there not worried about maintaining the integrity of the MA, but rather make belt mills and take all the money they can by using a popular MA name.
    Have a groovy day.

kpalena

Brian, you stated earlier that you were frusterated by the half-belt ranking system. In my eyes this helps maintain the art. It makes sure that only people with profeciency….as measured by a certified instructor….are granted the appropriate belt. Krag Maga is a trademark, that step was necessary to prevent the exact thing you are talking about. Half-belts are a good idea, albiet somewhat frusterating at times.

Can this thread die now?

glenngordon

Anybody need a hug?

giant-killer

I do! KM group hug? 😀

ryan

Yeah, I’m the one doing the sophomoric name calling.

Funny thing is, I haven’t \”been here\” much, because of people like you. It’s always the same crap; complain, complain, complain. If you don’t like Krav Maga, whether the system, the organization, the instructor, whatever, move on to something that better suits you. Why get on a forum and constantly bitch about it? I wouldn’t get on a GM forum and bitch about their cars, and why I think they are ripping people off, building inferior cars, etc. I just wouldn’t buy a GM.

BTW, I have nothing against GM. Example used for demonstrative purposes only. 😉

ryan

You know, Brian, I’m sorry KM hasn’t lived up to your expectations (I’m not being sarcastic.) I actually remember us having a \”discussion\” some time ago about the victims of 9/11, that I thought was rather productive.

The internet is a poor medium for communication, so I’ll just leave you with this. I hope you find what you are looking for in a school, and I wish you all of the best.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: