Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books Best way to kick the knee??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    lions2011

This is what I research in my spare time lol.

I think the side kick to the knee is the best way. Make sure you kick downward and chamber the knee. This was one of Bruce Lee’s fav.

Also you can do a strange oblique kick from JKD so that your foot is angled with toes pointing outward but I am not sure how effective this is.

Anybody else want to weigh in..

kmman

Re: Best way to kick the knee??

Are you referring to the JKD hook kick which is sort of like a roundhouse I believe with you angling down?

Here is the side kick performed by the late great Ted Wong…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5XdkXfvudk

Or are you referring to the stop side kick executed with your lead leg to opponents lead leg.

carpecanis

If you’re squared up on your opponent in your proper KM fighting stance I think the quickest/easiest kick to the knee would be the good-ole round house. Even if you miss the knee itself you’ll still land a painful kick on his leg.

A sidekick to the knee would be pretty mean, but I would only use that kick if your opponent is areadly to your side. In a fight, I would not risk turning my side to my opponent. This would provide him with too much of an opening to get around to your back. I don’t recall if you learn side kicks in L1 or L2, but you’ll notice that you always drill them as an opening kick w/ your opponent starting to your side. As soon you’ve landed the kick you recoil, pivot, and land your foot so that you’re squared up in the fighting stance… usually followed up with a #1 elbow.

I’m not familiar w/ JKD kicks but the one you describe sounds similar to the Savate Chasse Bas front kick. If you land that one on your opponents knee he’ll likely never walk right again. It’s a really mean kick. However if I were in that situation I’d still rather use the defensive front (aka push) kick to the body. Hitting someone’s center of mass will still be easier than trying hit their knee…. actually that applies to the side kick too… I can not land a side kick with pinpoint accuracy so hitting their knee might be problematic, but I sure as heck can hit their torso.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-_x0UPhalE

unstpabl1

Wouldn’t the best way to kick the knee being with your foot:dunno:

Shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line as in this :combat:

lions2011

Does anybody really know what JKD is??? I check several web pages and each program is totally different from each school. Seems like its more of a concept than anything.

To Unstop.. you are going to be my new MT coach lol.. I will pay of course. Unfortunately I dont live in LA that was not true. I live in Oregon lol. Once I get 4 months of solid MT trainning I will start doing more sparring in class.

If your in boxing stance you could easily just toss in a side kick to the knee I think.. I dont know I dont get into fights. Also from boxing stance you could throw a jab but keep your fingers open and spreaded and it would be an eye jab.
    The possibilities are endless.
    Yes I mean the foot!!! Actually the heel. :Deadhorse:

lions2011

to unstop again. Are you going to re-enroll in a Krav class this year or next??
    Also how is the boxing skills taught in your MT class.

Personally my least favorite thing is throwing boxing punches as my fingers are always cut and jacked up the next day.

Some days are krav class is mostly punching and I always skip those days.

tzrider

quote lions2011:

Personally my least favorite thing is throwing boxing punches as my fingers are always cut and jacked up the next day.

Some days are krav class is mostly punching and I always skip those days.

Your “fingers are always cut and jacked up?” Unless you mean your knuckles are getting barked, I’m not sure how you do that. Are you wearing gloves of any kind?

Punches are important fundamentals and something you want to be good at. Skipping classes won’t help the cause.

unstpabl1

Depending on the MT gym you might start sparring on DAY 1. We do at our gym depending on what the rest of the class does. But sparring means many things and in this case it’s more of a light spar and movement type of action. Unless your a butthole and try to take the guy told to help you on full bore. To prove your Street BADAZZNESS. Then he’ll wait out the 30 seconds it takes you to tire and school you on respect for your partners

Most people are respectful and go way out of their way to help beginners in MT. Its a tough class and everybody remembers their 1st day. Also my school is run by Thai coaches and some of the best thai coaches and fighters come through there. I got to train a bit with SAMART last night and Saekson. Google both worth the time. The Thais are great to train with because they are very friendly and helpful. Just don’t underestimate them in the ring because their heart is forged from years of fighting. samart had over 300 fights

unstpabl1

I don’t think I’m going back to krav though I’ve been giving it hard thought. need to make a decision by end of month. It’s finacial. I pay a thrid of the cost of Krav and we bbq if somebody sneezesrofl2. Plus I’ll be 53 this summer. i don’t mind hard training but 5 hr testing doesn’t make much sense at a certain point

BUT, I still think krav is the way to go for a base system focused on the street. So if it wasn’t about cash and the fact that I like to train on my own alot( open gym) I’d make the switch

Thais teach with a I show a couple times and you learn by doing approach. Krav tends to break it down a bit more. Part of it could be a language thing. But in the end as Viola Spolin said ‘We learn thru experience, expiriences and experiencing” In short we learn by doing

Also, in mT gyms everybody helps everybody. I train a lot off class time. Other guys who are training then will spar, hold pads and even show techs and drills. @ guys I train with regularly 1 fought amatuer MMA and the other has fought both boxing and MT amatuers and is a 6th in Kajukenbo. They both help me a lot

lions2011

I mean knuckles not fingers being sore.

The gym here for MT is run by White Americans so it will not be as authentic as your gym in LA. It will be water down compared to what your gym is.
    However, the gym is certified by the National Thai Boxing association or something if that means anything.
    This gym has no professional fighters it is basically just regular guys training for fun and self-defense I think.

My goal is too simply improve my strikes and learn some basic clinch fighting and not get too complicated. I am going to start in 6 weeks I Think and only do it twice a week. Just want to learn the basic stuff only.
    IT is like when I did boxing 10 yrs ago , I just learned the proper technique along with light-moderate sparing and had a good time.

Then maybe next year I will take a basic BJJ class to improve ground fighting if my body can handle it.

lions2011

I did a lot of boxing in College so my technique is pretty solid on punching. My combos is poor but I know how to throw a punch using your body, hips and the ground.
    Many guys in level 1-2 class have very sloppy punches with there elbow out or not bringing it back to there chin. I noticed almost all guys in level 1-2 have even more sloppy kicks and knees. This is why I want to train in some MT.

I usually skip the punching classes and just attend classes that focus on other strikes like elbows and palm strikes. My hands really cut bad and I need a box of rocks to toughen them up.

I still do not know if the front hammer fist is good or not. They never use it in the UFC unless its on the ground. Still I like the strike a lot and enjoy doing hammer fist. Very fun and easy on my hands.

My main sport is not marital arts it is Tennis….

unstpabl1

Are you wrapping your hands? Wearing gloves? MMA gloves? Or going bare knuckle?

lions2011

Wearing some padded gloves just need tougher hands is all :angry:

How exactly is the punching being taught on your MT gym. Is it as good as regular boxing or not.

You must be in superb shape to handle 6 hours a week of MT.

:tantrum:

lions2011

to Unstop. yes you should go back to krav!!!!!
    What is another 120 bucks a month. rofl2
    Looks like you got the MT down .

You could try BJJ. they have special fundamental classes that are not too complex in some gyms. I did BJJ 10 yrs ago and was so ovewhelmed I quit after 40 classes and learned nothing. I am try it again next year or the year after.

lions2011

I think doing a regular side kick seems to be the most popular way on the internet. You just go downward more in a stomping fashion and try to hit the upper knee cap.
    My research in concluded for now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: