Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books Best way to kick the knee??

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    unstpabl1

Re: Best way to kick the knee??

MT punching is similar to boxing, so much so that Samart was able to win a WBC boxing World title. But the footwork and defense is different. Elbows, clinch and knees change things

My condition sucks but working around the challenges I have I’m happy to finally be able to get workouts in

neilm

What are you punching against? We train bare knuckles onto focus mitts, and only the beginner students get cuts – it’s down to technique, and hopefully your instructor will help you iron it out over a few months. Attend those classes 🙂

nkfr

The side kick is very good but kinda slow if you’re in the front of your opponent.
    The front kick is efficient as well.

I’m a great fan of knee strikes with the heel.
    Those kicks are the basics of the old Savate (street-fighting oriented):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-_x0UPhalE -in this video, the kick is thrown on the leg but you can strike the knee as well.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SZj9y1R6KY

lions2011

to NK.

There is also this strange “oblique kick” very JKD like. Basically your toes point outwards and your foot is 45 degree angle.

I think for knee kicks it is best to kick downward motion only.

I think your right the side kick low is powerful but slow.

I know French savate has a lot of deadly kicks.

lions2011

you found the kick of savate on youtube. I tried to find that for weeks and failed. Good job. I am going to save that clip and practice it.
    So I should only do the side kick to the knee if the guy is from the side only??
    This kick is a front kick but the foot is angled oblique like. That is one I was looking for . Thanks…

nkfr

@lions: Savate kicks are interesting in a self defense perspective because even in “French boxing” (the “sport’s version” of the Savate) you wear some shoes (those aforementioned shoes are between boxing and wrestling shoes) so it let you strike with your toes and pretty unusual angles.
    Very interesting.

quote :

you found the kick of savate on youtube. I tried to find that for weeks and failed. Good job. I am going to save that clip and practice it.

Well, since I speak French, I just had to Google the name of the technique in French.
    Besides that HW episode was pretty popular in France.

quote :

This kick is a front kick but the foot is angled oblique like. That is one I was looking for . Thanks…

Kinda.
    In fact, you can or use it as a front kick or as a push kick.
    But if you wanna learn that technique, you should get in touch with those guys: http://www.savateaustralia.com/.
    They did an incredible job researching the Savate history, and even in France, the Savate fans rely a lot on their website.
    I’m pretty confident they will give you further explanations (I’m not a Savate practitioner) and drills in order to work on that technique.

BTW, there’s a French professional MT fighter who comes from Savate and uses those kicks in MT contests.

lions2011

KRav maga fails to have this kick in its arsenal. Very odd.

I saw more clips on the Savate knee kick. they use there hips and piston the leg hiting with the heel and with high chamber. Seems the French like a good high chamber lol. Foot hits at an angle. All the demos just used there back foot only through. I guess you could do front foot

Too bad that Krav maga fails to have this move . There is many other great moves not in Krav system like web of hand to throat, throat chop to name just a few.

Do I have to fly out to Paris to learn this .. sheesh

don

quote lions2011:

I saw more clips on the Savate knee kick. they use there hips and piston the leg hiting with the heel and with high chamber. Seems the French like a good high chamber lol. Foot hits at an angle. All the demos just used there back foot only through. I guess you could do front foot

Too bad that Krav maga fails to have this move . There is many other great moves not in Krav system like web of hand to throat, throat chop to name just a few.

Do I have to fly out to Paris to learn this .. sheesh

Did the person who signed you up for KM promise you that it would be the end all be all of martial arts/self defense and that Everything you ever needed to know would be included in your membership?

Btw, you sure it’s not “too barbaric” for you?

tzrider

quote lions2011:

I saw more clips on the Savate knee kick.

While I don’t know for sure why the move isn’t part of KM, it doesn’t have the characteristic of working via gross motor movements to the degree that some other kicks do. If you want to hit an attacker’s knee and you have a choice between the Savate kick and a round kick using your shin as the striking surface, the round kick is the easier one to land reliably. It’s easier to miss with the Savate kick. We have kicks with similar movements, but they are usually employed against larger targets, such as the torso.

As far as feeling that the system is missing something by not using this kick, what problem are you trying to solve that a technique in the KM curriculum doesn’t address?

nkfr

quote :

Actually I think that virtually any technique is in the KM arsenal.
    Isn’t it the point of KM ? Using each move you think efficient as long as it fits in the KM principles ?
    Besides I’m not that sure those kicks aren’t in the KM curriculum: after all, they’re not that different from the one we use for the take downs from behind.

quote :

I guess you could do front foot

Yep and I use to train that combative in KM.
    You can either strike in a “piston” or “walk through the leg”.

quote :

If you want to hit an attacker’s knee and you have a choice between the Savate kick and a round kick using your shin as the striking surface, the round kick is the easier one to land reliably.

I don’t really agree.
    Don’t get me wrong, I’m fond of the good old fashioned roundhouse kick to the leg/knee, and I have been working them for quite some time, but I’m definitively not a fan of them in a KM perspective.
    Since the move is “round”, they’re slower than a front kick -I’m not a Savate practitioner and the leg front kick is in the KM curriculum- and so easier to counter: I guess that’s why we have such deadly low-kick defense in KM lol.

tzrider

quote nkfr:

I don’t really agree.
    Don’t get me wrong, I’m fond of the good old fashioned roundhouse kick to the leg/knee, and I have been working them for quite some time, but I’m definitively not a fan of them in a KM perspective.
    Since the move is “round”, they’re slower than a front kick -I’m not a Savate practitioner and the leg front kick is in the KM curriculum- and so easier to counter: I guess that’s why we have such deadly low-kick defense in KM lol.

I agree with you about speed. My point about reliability concerns the relative sizes of the striking surface and target. The Savate kick will have to be more precisely targeted to have the desired effect, whereas the round kick leaves a lot of room for error.

lions2011

What about side kick to knee. Is that better than both Savate and Thai Roundhouse or not?? I can do the kick with right leg but i tried left for the first time and I really struggled.

Most articles I read only mention the side kick to the knee.

to don, no the kick to the knee is not too barbaric for me but the eye gouge is..I will have to re-read my KM contract to see if it cleary states that the knee kick will be covered and that it will cover every lethal move ever made my homo sapiens in the last 2,000 yrs. I will keep you posted my friend.

don

A knee kick could cause permanent injury too…

I’m just saying don’t be so picky. IMO, anyone who preys on decent, productive members of society gets whatever is coming to him/her. IMO, someone who tries to hurt you or your loved ones is a piece of filth and does not deserve your/our compassion or sympathy or kind heartedness.

As far as the original question – IMO, there is no “best” way. There are different ways of kicking the knee and maybe “better” ways. Some things that factor into how I might kick someone’s knee (once the decision to kick a knee has been already made):

What am I trying to accomplish with the kick? Am I buying time, trying to keep someone away, attempting to distract or create a high line opening, attempting to debilitate/hamper movement, trying to break/dislocate/tear, am I jabbing with my kick or throwing a “haymaker” (fully committed), etc.

What kind of footwear do I have on? Am I wearing duty boots or steel toed boots where my kicks may be a little slower but I can let the boot do the work? Am I barefoot, wearing flip flops/chanklas, or other soft shoes where my kicks will be faster but I might suffer damage by kicking with my toes or instep?

What’s my positioning in relation to the target? Are we both facing each other, are we perpendicular or angled off, is either of us on the ground, how far away is his knee from each of my feet, what are the differences in size/strength/skill/reach/etc, do I know if he has skill in defending/reacting against kicks (blocking, catching, striking, etc), etc?

How much time or how much room do I have to deliver the kick? Is it part of an entry technique or part of a series of follow up techniques?

Etc…

kevinmack

web of hand throat strike is in KM. Its like the 4th or 5th technique in yellow belt.

bradm

Personally for me, if I’m in a fight for my life or defending my family, I won’t be dwelling or thinking about a kick to the knee. My main cncern would be to defend against the attack and get home safe. If during the confrontation an opening for a kick to the knee is there I would take it using any type kick I can based on my position to the attacker. I don’t think time would alot deciding whether to use a front kick, side kick, or round kick. Just my2ents.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: