Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    anonymous

I’m actually not a big fan of workout music. For things like weight-lifting or running it might be fine, but if you are trying to learn a skill like Krav Maga it can be loud and distracting.

I remember some time ago someone accidently cut the power to the stereo in room 3, which resulted in widespread panic at the NTC and lead to heartfelt apologies from the teachers until finally someone brought in an extra long extension cord and plugged it in somewhere in the hallway.

I don’t think the students actually missed the music much, I for one enjoyed the peace and quiet and the fact that I could finally hear what my partner (and the teacher) were saying. 😀

Oh, well, but if we absolutely have to have music playing, how about some rock en espanol? If we can have German music, why not some Latin?

leftie79

I love working out to music. I can understand where you are coming from Giantkiller with the music being distracting while training. I do however, find it useful when doing warm-up drills (jogging around the room, stretching, push-ups, crunches, a good fatigue drill such as kicking and punching) but having music blasting while learning either a new skill while instructor is teaching can be distracting. And of course having music at the end of class during a fatigue drill is good too, especially having it on while fighting pumps me up!

anonymous

I personally don’t even listen to music during weight-lifting and other conditioning, but I can see how some people might enjoy it.

I guess playing music during punching drills helps certain people to get aggressive, but maybe it’s not good to rely on that too heavily. Usually, after working out at the NTC for a few hours I come down to the parking garage and it’s suddenly eerie quiet in there, especially after four hours of rock music. So, I’m thinking that’s exactly what it’s going to be like when I’ll be attacked. I’ll be all alone, it’ll be very quiet, kind of scary, no music to help me along and now I have to find that aggression within me, without musical help. So, doing drills with music might give you an extra feeling of comfort and safety that later on won’t be there.

I also feel I can concentrate better without all that \”noise\”. Sometimes, somebody will forget to turn on the music at the beginning of class and I feel so relaxed, ready to learn and can’t quite explain why that is until somebody runs toward the stereo and I’m thinking: \”Damn, that’s what it was, no music!\”.

In the beginning, we didn’t even used to play music during class, then someone started to play it during the warm-up for the fighting class, then during all warm-ups, then during the entire class etc and now it’s everywhere.

Well, what can you do? 🙄

leftie79

Those are valid points you make about the music how especially when you are in the parking garage after class and it’s eerie quiet. Yes, that’s true that an attack can happen when it’s quiet, but…what about if your at a bar or walking home and there are people around? It’s not always quiet then. Just a thought.

Also, in class we don’t listen to music all that much. When we do it’s during warmups/fighting or fatigue drills and if it’s on after warmups when class is starting then it gets turned down (low background music) so we can hear the instructor and start our training. 🙂

anonymous

You are right, I could be attacked at a bar or at a party where music is playing. However, I’m not as concerned about that type of scenario as I am about being attacked when I’m alone, like in a parking garage, with nobody around to help me and nobody there to call the police.

I wouldn’t want to be attacked anywhere, but if I was attacked, I’d rather it would be at a crowded place, where somebody might help me or at least call for help.

So, I’d like to train for the scariest situation of all, when you are all alone and you would have to run for quite a bit before finding another person, who might help or call the police. If I can handle that, I can handle fighting a drunk guy at a bar. 😉

clfmak

I don’t know about listening to angry German metal when practicing a martial art from Israel… 🙄

Seriously though- there is that difference that in real life, there is no music. When someone tries to stab you or pull a gun on you, there’s no dramatic violin noises. You don’t get victory music when you win. Real fights can begin and end rather abruptly.

anonymous

Ramstein is what they play I think. It’s not so bad, but LOUD!!! 🙁 😉

jops

Could the music possibly have an alternative purpose? I know in our classes we have it playing during our scenarios, etc, when we are good and tired. It helps us concentrate more at the task at hand. I know in real life things don’t happen perfectly. This is why we get good and tired before we do drills, no? Doesn’t all good form usually go out the window? Practice, Practice, Practice….

Just a thought….

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: