Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    hemibuck

Ok so now that I am getting the wheels set in motion for opening up here in Spokane I am finding that when people ask questions about Krav they always want to compare it to BJJ. I first want to say that I believe BJJ is a great style and hope to learn more of it in the future. Now with that I believe that the obsession with BJJ comes from the huge popularity of MMA…which I am a huge fan of…lol!

So my question is how do you win over the BJJ fans, that don’t even practice it, to give Krav a try? Today I was in a no win situation with a gentleman who is completely convinced that ALL situations go to the ground and BJJ is the ONLY way out. I tried to tell him that first and foremost we try to avoid confrontation and second we try to avoid going to the ground at all costs. I also said that if it goes to the ground we have ground techniques to get out of that situation. So anyway thanks for the advice!

jamesh-d30

Re: BJJ Vs KM

Introduce a knife into the equation.

maddogmean

Or multiple attackers.

leejam99

ask them what is a BJJ defense vs. when your on the ground choking a guy and and his friend comes up and tries to soccer kick you in the head. We teach you how to get out of the ground situation and get up as soon as possible with the awareness of others/surrounding.

hemibuck

Very nice….thanks! It’s hard to get someone to make that mental transition from TV sport to really having to fight for your life. Putting a few of these visions in his head just might be what it takes. Thanks again!

kior

All fights don’t end up on the ground. Simply show him a video of one that doesn’t for a start!

We had a group of MMA guys join our club a while ago after seeing a demonstration of the system. When my instructor asked why one of the guys showed him a massive scar on his head. He had been in a brawl and was choking one guy on the floor when his friend smashed an ashtray over his head.

In addition to what everyone else has said… BJJ in it’s true form, not the MMA version, is about patiently and methodically controlling your opponent’s body to limit that person’s ability to injure you as you work to put him in a position to either tap or be injured himself. Patiently and methodically are the last things that come to mind if I’m thinking of a self defense situation. If I’m forced to defend myself outside of a mat or a ring or a cage, I want it to be over with as quickly as possible, preferably with nothing but my feet ever having touched the ground. There are just too many variables in that situation to spend any time on the ground, and the longer you are there the more the variables multiply. I love BJJ and MMA personally and the training complements Krav training well… but I know if I ever have to use my training in a life or death situation I have no desire to take the guy(s) to the ground and deal with all those variables.

hemibuck

All valid points. I think that once he sees what Krav has to offer in the way of “self defense” and not MMA he will see that it is something he wants to try.

eric-joyce

quote JamesH:

Introduce a knife into the equation.

I have used that same line before. It’s amazing the look you get from them 🙂

oneness

BJJ is a great system, but like anything it is not the end all situations system. Use the last UFC fights as an example, there was only one submission. The rest ended with strikes on the ground or standing. If you are up against a good striker and or wrestler that knows some ground game, they are going to be difficult to deal with.

You better have a good striking game standing and/or on the ground. BJJ alone wont get you out.

Look I said this 5 years ago and it is even more true now. You need to know all of it – striking, wrestling, thai clinch, gnp, and submissions (mostly escapes and reversals). Krav Maga gives you that and we are working on giving more of it.

Krav Maga was a head of the game long ago with striking on the ground and getting up as quickly as possible and now MMA is heading in that direction. Do you really want to be on the ground trying to go for an arm bar with the likes of Florian in your guard, or someone bigger like Lesner.

Look at GSP vs PENN, wrestling and strikes versus controlling and BJJ. Please dont get me wrong, I like BJJ and will someday add that to my tool box.

hemibuck

All around is the way to go for sure. This is what I love about Krav; it’s always evolving, is practical along with being well rounded. With instructors like yourself Oneness, that are pushing Krav forward, I am very excited to learn all I can. Thanks for the input.

tech94

i couldnt agree more. i hold no rank in bjj but have trained in it extensively for years and just never felt that i’d use it for a street fight self defense situation. its a sport which requires finesse and patience to get someone in the right spot for you to submit them. i would rather eye gouge, bite, groin strike,or do whatever else it may take to get back to my feet

tech94

these days you do need the expoure to bjj bc all the tapout wearing guys love it and you should be comfortable on the ground to keep a level head and not panic bc your out of your element. a western boxer would panic on the ground as would a straight MT guy. its unnatural for those highly trained fighters to have someone trying to choke them or put them in an armbar. must be well rounded these days and be willing to look at other systems for completeness. thats what lead me to look at KM from jkd. i trained in jkd for years and felt i had holes in my game so i included km to help fill the gaps.

hemibuck

IMO now days we have more people than ever watching MMA and thinking “I can take that guy”…lol! For me a realistic secario in just being out with some friends and some drunk guy wants to show everyone he is a
    “fighter”. Again IMO 9 out of 10 guys that pose a threat in every day walks of life have very little if no training in how to fight, and when they present a threat KM is going to be more effective to get me safe faster than BJJ.

I just think that with no Krav Maga in the Spokane area I am introducing something that is foreign to most. All they know is the BJJ, Karate, Boxing, ect. Baby steps right…lol!

la-revancha

quote Hemibuck:

So my question is how do you win over the BJJ fans, that don’t even practice it, to give Krav a try?

Personally, when discourse exhuasts itself, I normally tap them out :).

In all seriousness, any instructors here in Sherman Oaks practice both KM and BJJ. We echo Oneness’ point-cross training only makes you more competent. But, but don’t lose sleep over it. Some folks will never get it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: