Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    jburtonpdx

Re: BJJ Vs KM

quote La Revancha:

but don’t lose sleep over it. Some folks will never get it.

Those are words to live by…

phlegmon27

One of the best quotes from one of our hard-core BJJ guys: “Punch a BJJ black-belt once, he becomes a purple-belt. Punch him again, he becomes a blue-belt, and so on.” I would like to add that when you stick your thumbs in anyone’s eyes, they immediately become a small child.

ryan

Be careful with absolutes…and, if eye gouges were the self defense panacea, that’s all we’d train.

BJJ and KM, to me, are apples and oranges. It all depends on your goals.

“Grappling may be your thing, but blunt force trauma is king.”–Richard Grillat (miss you, brother!)

phlegmon27

Light-hearted banter, Ryan. That’s all.

munster

quote Hemibuck:

Ok so now that I am getting the wheels set in motion for opening up here in Spokane I am finding that when people ask questions about Krav they always want to compare it to BJJ. I first want to say that I believe BJJ is a great style and hope to learn more of it in the future. Now with that I believe that the obsession with BJJ comes from the huge popularity of MMA…which I am a huge fan of…lol!

So my question is how do you win over the BJJ fans, that don’t even practice it, to give Krav a try? Today I was in a no win situation with a gentleman who is completely convinced that ALL situations go to the ground and BJJ is the ONLY way out. I tried to tell him that first and foremost we try to avoid confrontation and second we try to avoid going to the ground at all costs. I also said that if it goes to the ground we have ground techniques to get out of that situation. So anyway thanks for the advice!

All the replies above were good reasons man I mean ignorance is bliss dude what can I say, but since your up in Spokane if you really want to make an impact youd invite out those SERE instructors from Fairchild. Cause the stuff they were teaching was well I dont wanna say pretty much useless (to most it was), however they def could be teaching something better esp for the time frame they have and the type of jobs running threw there. I wrote it down in the suggestion box, but the way the AF is um ya probably wont get pushed inless some senior guys get the attention of it.

hemibuck

quote Munster:

All the replies above were good reasons man I mean ignorance is bliss dude what can I say, but since your up in Spokane if you really want to make an impact youd invite out those SERE instructors from Fairchild. Cause the stuff they were teaching was well I dont wanna say pretty much useless (to most it was), however they def could be teaching something better esp for the time frame they have and the type of jobs running threw there. I wrote it down in the suggestion box, but the way the AF is um ya probably wont get pushed inless some senior guys get the attention of it.

Funny you should ask…lol! The owner of Crossfit, where I will hopefully be teaching, is an instructor for SERE. He was so excited when I came to him with my gameplan. He and others from fairchild have made some likewise comments. Hopefully we can get a few of them to sign up. Thanks for the advice!

mara-jade

This is great thread! Other martial arts can definitely compliment KM but I wouldn’t know how to compare them either. Weapons are definitely a different animal – gun, knife, stick, shotgun, etc.

munster

quote Hemibuck:

Funny you should ask…lol! The owner of Crossfit, where I will hopefully be teaching, is an instructor for SERE. He was so excited when I came to him with my gameplan. He and others from fairchild have made some likewise comments. Hopefully we can get a few of them to sign up. Thanks for the advice!

Oh Im sure theyre gonna come by and check it out cause krav has been exposed to certain parts of the AF already (OSI and certain special operations units) and its gotten some great feed back (all they have up there is the army combatives program and its based off BJJ). It’s still gonna have to go threw the channels (and political AF bs), however it would be great if they threw it into the circulum up there and do great service for the guys going threw SERE school esp the combat occupations that run threw there. Im sure theyll have a particular interest in the weapons and knife defenses and self defense for women.Krav in general is what that school probably needs fast quick simple and above all proven effective system and the time spans for that school thats all they have time for esp with the people constantly going threw.

greenbeanie
    sdkraver

quote JamesH:

Introduce a knife into the equation.

Great thread! And posts. The way my instructor drives the knife/multiple attacker point home, is just casually walk up to students that are grappling, and very deliberately start stabbing them.

kmky

yeah, if i spend too much time on the ground i suddenly find 3 or 4 extra attackers – you’d think i would have learned after the first couple of times 🙁

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: