Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    kpalena

Hey guys see if my thinking makes sense.

I am a teacher and therefore I have summers off. I trained like a savage all summer. I hit six classes in four days and did great. I was a beast. Then school started. Now I am gassed after maybe only 10 minutes. My wind is gone and I cannot get any energy. I feel like a little bi***. The only thing that has changed is my caffiene intake. I went from one diet coke a day to three cokes and three cups of coffee. Is there a chance that this is causing vasoconstriction and therefore causing the problem??? I am supposed to test to yellow/orange on the 20th and need to get this figured out.

mike-p

What age kids do you teach? Being a teacher is a tough, stressful job, and could certainly explain the loss of energy that you feel afterward.

Caffeine could be a reason, but it may also because you are drinking more coffee/soda, your water intake is going down. Now matter how good shape you’re in, if you are dehydrated you will gas out. I certainly understand the need for multiple cups of joe in the morning, but be sure to balance it out with H2O. For every coffee/soda I have, I also have a cup of water.

Hopefully that will help you a bit.

lovelessk

Re: caffiene and cardio

quote \”kpalena\:

Hey guys see if my thinking makes sense.

I am a teacher and therefore I have summers off. I trained like a savage all summer. I hit six classes in four days and did great. I was a beast. Then school started. Now I am gassed after maybe only 10 minutes. My wind is gone and I cannot get any energy. I feel like a little bi***. The only thing that has changed is my caffiene intake. I went from one diet coke a day to three cokes and three cups of coffee. Is there a chance that this is causing vasoconstriction and therefore causing the problem??? I am supposed to test to yellow/orange on the 20th and need to get this figured out.

If it were just Caffiene, then there is no way it could hurt you cardio wise. You may have problems passing aspertame (look up it’s origin and you will find that our favorite sweetner was found on accident by the nazi’s as a way to poison water supply :O ) but most likely you are dehydrated from the carbonation. We used to fill opposing teams locker rooms with cokes etc when we wanted an edge in HS football. As soon as they really hit the field hard you would notice them cramping.

From a BB perspective, 300mg of caffiene produces an 8% increase in stamina. Try out alteratives like Speed Stack by ABB. About the same caffiene as a Starbucks coffee with no sugars or carbonation. GL.

Reduced stamina can be a lot of things like minor colds and allergies to much much larger problems. Only way to find out is change what is different in your diet and see a doctor if you feel dragged down all the time. That’s just my 2 cents from a lurker on these boards lol. I take massive amounts of caffiene each day. Aside from a long term dependancy on it, no adverse effects.

garddawg

LovelessK,
    What is a BB perspective?

kpalena,
    In the well trained, caffine is a performance enhancer.

kpalena

This is frusterating. You guys are re-iterating what I always thought. Why am I gassing out? How can I go form sparing for 60 min straignt whithout much of a problem to cramping and sweating and feeling faint after 10 minutes? The last time I felt this was after I drank a diet coke as I was walking into the gym…..Maybe some time off? See a doctor?

maskedkat

I think you answered your own question… do see a doctor. That doesn’t sound right. Bite the bullet, make an appointment.

Good luck!

dkst

I’m in the same boat. We tested 3 up to 4 and after that I haven’t been the same. In fact, the last class I went to I felt like the first time i walked in the gym. I got dizzy, couldn’t punch or kick for very long, it sucked. I have taken two weeks off figuring it is mental since I pass the test. Maybe my mind said enough, you have accomplished your goal and my body followed. I’m planning on going back next week, I’ll let you know if time off helped.

anonymous

So, how many times do you train now? A lot less than during the summer time? If you are still training a few times a week, I don’t think you should gas that quickly. Not sure if coffee has anything to do with it. Maybe don’t drink coffee on the days you train and see what that does. Substitute the coke with Gatorade. If you still have problems, maybe see a doctor.

Sweetener used to poison the water?? Could be a new tool for Al Qaeda….

kravjeff

Agree – More H20 … If no better, would see a doc … As said b4, many things can zap your strength/stamina (stress, colds, allergies etc …) No need to panic, just take care of yourself.

$0.02

lovelessk

BB= body building

I honestly haven’t noticed any stamina gains from my own massive caffiene abuse lol. But i take a few suppliments like gakic just for muscle endurance.

I was trying to separate BB endurance from Krav since they are very very different things. A 30 second rest during lifting can make all the difference in what you can lift on your next set. 30 second rest in Krav is more like catching your breath during an hour long run then picking it up again.

I did leave off on caveate on caffine which is that is does slow the metabolism down when you are \”coming down.\” I left this off because it speeds up the metabolism while you are on that caffiene \”high\”. Since you are training when on the high, they more than offset themselves.

Sorry if I kinda spoke out of place, I check these boards everyday, but really never post since I am pretty new to Krav and have little to contribute Kra wise.

beachbum

kp,

To second what others have stated, YMMV, but in my experience, go back to the single soda a day, or none if you can handle it (down to about two a week here currently).

I don’t have the long-term experience in KM or any other martial art, but I’ve trained off and on for years with a heart rate monitor in distance running.

Here’s something I found: when I was drinking 3-4 cups of iced tea a day, my average heart rate was 8-13 bpm faster when exercising.

Doesn’t sound like much right? Problem was it was taking me out of my standard training zone, and right into sugar-junkie land that I’m unfortunately prone to. This was with about as clean a diet as a busy professional can get outside of the iced teas. I did a helluva lot of walking on my slow days as a result, and wasn’t getting nearly the pace in my tempo workouts, was getting more and more fustrated, and wasn’t getting any results.

Finally asked someone, got the suggestion of cut the caffeinne, and two weeks later, was running a full minute faster per mile at the same heart rate on my training runs. That’s simply not possible to account for via muscular or cardiovascular gains in that time frame… only difference was taking more water instead of the iced teas. Now try that through a sometimes grueling hour of training in KM, it’s not fun, and dependant on your conditioning and genetics (if you’re like me ouch), may well wind you in 10ish minutes.

Double-whammy of the additional sugar from the soda.

The other advice (other than potentially seeing a doctor if things aren’t working, take everyting I say as advice of a layman, I passed a biology class once, barely, and that’s about it!), you may want to try taking a week or two off from training. It’s probably not overtraining, but cummulative stress, as a previous poster pointed out, can really debilitate your workouts, especially if there’s any lingering illness (kids at school nearing winter time, *cough* *cough*).

Beach

PS. I throughly disagree with the comment of caffeine’s being a performance enhancer for anyone other than short high tempo exercise where you want your HR goosed as high as possible as quickly as possible, even then anything needs to be in moderation. Anything lasting an hour or longer I don’t care if you’re a world-class marathoner, it’ll hurt.

lovelessk

some sources if interested

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?itool=abstractplus&db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=abstractplus&list_uids=11583104

(next is very pro coffee, but does cite the study that got caffeine banned from the Olympics and the NCAA)

http://www.ineedcoffee.com/05/weightloss/

Cycling version of study — please note that most other studies say it takes up to 2 months to get rid of a caffiene dependancy

http://www.cobr.co.uk/e-cobr_information/t_and_r_section/sections/nutrition/Nutritional%20supplements%20and%20performance%20enhancers_2.shtml

Lots lots more out there, just use the new google scholar beta to check out some \”real\” papers.

kpalena

WOW what a response. Thanks guys.

I had one soda at lunch yesterday afrer the first set of replies. I drank lots of water and peed BRIGHT yellow all day. I was really dehydrated. I hit two classes yesterday and it went great. (aside form the palm-heal whils sparing…Jason you a-hole) I just need to keep better track of what I am putting in my body.

garddawg

BB = body building
    You would do well to separate body building from Krav. 😆 It brings very little that is useful to the table.

sean-akrav

Re:

quote \”garddawg\:

BB = body building
    You would do well to separate body building from Krav. 😆 It brings very little that is useful to the table.

I believe weight lifting can be useful for krav as well as any other physical activity. But if by body building you mean turning your body into a crazy piece of large unusable muscle then yes I agree with you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: