Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    garddawg

Sean
    I would agree with you, and go one step further. Weightlifting (not weight lifting) is an important componant of overall strength and conditioning. Bodybuilding, and the bodybuilding model of working out, doesn’t do much for real world fitness, and is often a hinderance to any meaningful strength, power, or muscular endurance.

progress

garddawg~ What are your thoughts on Kettlebells?

garddawg

Progress,
    Kettlebells are a great tool. You’ll find some people say that they can meet all your fitness needs, just like you’ll hear some people say bodyweight exercises will meet all your needs. They can’t, but they are a great tool to use. We had a guy show up who has kettlebell dvd’s for sale on the net. He is unbelievably strong! Our class did a workout which was:
    How fast can you complete 3 rounds of:
    Run 400 M
    21 Kettlebell swings X 1.5 pood
    12 Pull ups
    One third of this workout was the KB guys specialty, and yet it took him over 20 minutes to finish the workout, he was totally gassed after the second round. We had a 14 year old kid finish it in just under 9:00.

That having been said again they are a great tool. Our workout tomorrow at our gym is how fast can you complete the following:
    10 Kb Turkish Get Up alternating sides

50 Kb SDHP
    50 Kb Clean 25 each hand
    50 Kb Jerk 25 each hand

100 m Kb waiter walk

50 Kb figure 8 through legs
    50 Kb swing To full extension
    50 Kb Deadlift

100 m Kb Broad Jump

50 Kb sit ups (hold Kb against chest)
    50 Kb swing one handed (Left hand)
    50 Kb Goblet squat

100 m Kb lunge

50 Kb Rows 25 each side
    50 Kb swing one handed (Right hand)
    50 Kb Snatch

progress

Thank you for the info garddawg. I just ordered one and am anxiously awaiting its arrival. I only hope I can figure out how to use it and get a good workout, I bought the starter kit with the book and dvd. I recently moved and the nearest KM training facility is about 50 miles away, still trying to figure out a solution to that dilemma.

thanks again.

garddawg

What size KB did you get?

progress

gd-

I bought the 35lb. bell, it came in a starter pack and was the suggested starter size for beginners. The book and dvd came today just started reading it. Any tips you may have would be greatly appreciated. 😆

garddawg

When your ready, email me and I’ll send you some workouts.

jaeroo

Occassionally

I never drink caffeine-related drinks before a workout. After a workout? Sometimes. But I limit sodas (only drink Mountain Dew/Coke Classic) to only 3 12-oz. a week and only 4 cups of gourmet coffee a week. Other than that, I drink only water, milk, juice, and sometimes, tea (just to cut down the soda craving). I also don’t mess with energy drinks or fat burners. As far as awake pills like \”No-Doz\”, I only use them when I am getting drowsy and not get enough sleep, which happens sometimes when I go underway on a ship. I never use \”No-Doz\” at home.

garddawg

Ya’ll be way better off getting rid of sugar in your diet than caffine. Sugar will, without a doubt harm your performance in the long run.

anonymous

Isn’t sugar also supposed to give you energy? Don’t they say that kids won’t be able to go to sleep if they eat too much sugar? Not really sure, I don’t have any… 8)

maskedkat

Yes, sugar gives you energy. But it burns off quickly and you crash. Complex carbs (whole grains, etc) keep blood sugar more steady, avoiding peaks and crashes.

I was whooped before I even started class last night, and ran out of gas after about 30 minutes. I’m sure it was because there’s a jar of Halloween candy that my office mate put out, and must’ve eaten about a dozen mini Milky Way Dark thingies. I’ll stick to bananas from now on. I’m sure it’s superstition, but I just feel more prepared for class if I have at least one banana on class days.

anonymous

So, that’s a banana in your pocket then? 😉

maskedkat

😳

No, sweetie. I’m just happy to see you.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: