Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Carrying a concealed weapon vs. Self Defense

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    andre

Well were glad to here that everything turned out fine. You’ve come to the right place if your looking for practicality, and quality self-defense. I have two questions for you though, first if you don’t mind is what area do you live in. The second is do you conceal or have it in visible sight, or was it in your vehicle?

neuro

Andre, trust me. I am glad too!

I live in a small city/ large town outside of Hartford, CT.

I conceal my piece with an IWB (inside the waist-band) style holster in front of my hip. This requires that I wear a long shirt, sweater or jacket over it. And although, I am sometimes a little concerned that it might accidentally show in public, I’ve carried it this way for about a year to almost anyplace I go and have never gotten a comment or look or anything. Most of my friends don’t even realize I carry. In most states it is illegal or discouraged to carry openly, and I would never leave it in my car. I’ve had a stereo stolen, and would never forgive myself if I put a gun on the streeet by allowing someone to steal it. When it is not on my person it is locked in my safe.

I hope this helps you!

andre

Opinions will vary on this, but as soon as I was approached, I would have thought what could be the good intentions of a person approaching me late at night, at what sounds like a secluded gas station. To be honest, I would have brandished it sooner. Since he didn’t brandish and simply had his hand behind his back.

aaron23

To be honest with everyone, I live in Precott Wisconsin, and we only have about 4,000 people here. So there’s really not much danger here for a 6’2\” 210lbs. 16 year old, but after reading about and watching Krav Maga, I have learned some stuff to help me teach that jerk in my class a lesson.

I remember when I lived in Chicago. I never carried any weapons. I was a decent fighter, but I think the presence of my older brothers shielded me from ever thinking about learning anything like Krav Maga. Now my borthers are gone and most of my enemies at school have a million friends to back them up. I have been in some tight situations and survived, but I was always left feeling vulnerable, because only about 5 of my friends have the guts to back me up.

It is amazing how much just watching Krav Maga, shadowboxing, and hitting the good ol’ heavy bag every day can help.
    I have a friend from Chicago who came up here to see me for a while. He knows Karate, and I have shown him some Krav Maga. We started to spar and I was surprised at my ability to block and counter attack based on my immediate reaction just from studying Krav Maga techniques closely.
    Then I asked him to charge at me with a bat. I quickly crowded him in and broke his offensive.

I really think that if one can grasp even the basics of Krav Maga, it can work better than a concealed weapon. But then again, the only rule to Krav Maga is to use anything, so I guess one could carry a weapon and use Krav Maga simultaniously… not a bad decision.

dallasvideo

Empty hands will never win but guns are not enough

1. A gun is a long range weapon in the personal combat arena, so if you have the range you can touch him and he can’t touch you if he has knife, club, fist at longer range
    2. At close range and when surprised, you need empty hands since you may not be able to get to your weapon before receiving a knockout or lethal or otherwise disabilitating blow.
    3. So you need empty handed art like Krav for close range, the gun is for long range, and a knife is best at close range
    4. It is harder to disarm a knife than a gun by the way. A gun is only a thrusting weapon, it cannot slash.
    5. If you do carry a gun, then you need to work on gun retention and how to use the gun up close and learn the moves to keep from getting disarmed. Up close there is no \”target shooting\” like what people do at the range.
    6. You need empty handed skills as well since shooting someone is not equivalent to stopping someone.

So guns, knives, empty hands all have their place.

A martial artist who disparages the gun needs to learn from history. There is nothing crazy about people who carry guns. Take some of the other postings above and replace gun with knife or \”martial arts training\”.

Anyway the gun alone is not enough and many times neither is being a master in the martial arts.

mrsociety

Re: Carrying a concealed weapon vs. Self Defense

Sorry to drag up an old dead thread here… I know I am new, but I was searching google and came across this. I have been carrying a concealed handgun for 5 years now, Recently in the last year I have taken a few training classes and have practiced the techniques I learned on my own.

I am now interested in learning a martial art to go hand in hand with my carrying of a concealed firearm.

I just wanted to give response to the posts above:

It is not a pain to carry a firearm, depending on the laws of your state.
    In Pennsylvania I can carry concealed anywhere I am legally allowed (No federal Buildings, Post Office, Etc).
    I am allowed to carry places that have a restriction, such as a no guns allowed sign, if I am asked to leave I must leave but it is not illegal.

The training I have received were NRA certified courses and they were taught by a M.D. who’s accolades are too numerous to list.

We were taught how to correctly carry, holster selection, drawing and firing, moving to and from cover and concealment, shooting on the move, etc.

What we were not taught was retention of the firearm or techniques to defend your firearm.

That is why I am interested in krav maga, It would be a great asset and another tool in my tool box to defend myself with, as well as be a less lethal option to use when a firearm wound not be appropriate.

I would say both should be used in conjunction, not one or the other.

And as the poster below me stated “2. At close range and when surprised, you need empty hands since you may not be able to get to your weapon before receiving a knockout or lethal or otherwise disabilitating blow.” That is incorrect, we were taught drawing and firing at a close distance and techniques to create distance if required. You will not have time to aim, we were taught shooting from the hip, and point shooting as well as flash sight picture shotoing.

Again I am sorry for resurrecting this old dead thread from almost 10 years ago but I just felt I had to reply. I will be more active on this forum, and I hope this first post does not get me in trouble. 🙂

MrSociety

jjbklb

quote Leftie79:

What do you think of people carrying a concealed weapon vs. learning self defense such as KM?

Why the word “vs” instead of “&”

There way be situations where there is no time to deploy a weapon.
    Your self defense training amy allow you to create distance so that you can more readily retreive you weapon if you can’t ‘leave the area’.

See Myths about Concealed carry.Myth #5.

http://blog.beretta.com/debunking-th…source=twitter

jjbklb

See Myths about Concealed carry.Myth #5.

http://blog.beretta.com/debunking-the-concealed-carry-myth?utm_campaign=CCW&utm_content=15342654&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

five04zog

Hi,

I’m a BIG 2nd amendment supporter and think that every citizen that can legally own/carry a firearm should have the right. I also feel that doing so comes with a BIG responsibility.

In law enforcement, the average trainee completes an approx. 18-21+ week academy followed by a 12-16+ week FTO program. The new officer/agent then (on average twice yearly per subject/skill) re-qualifies in defensive tactics, legal, firearms, secondary tools and more.

You would think that this would be enough but it isn’t. Even with this training, every year I read about LEO’s being killed with their own firearms. When I’m training officer’s/Agent’s, I like to remind them that 100% of the contacts they make, a gun is always present. The LEO’s firearm. I’ve attended a handful of officer funerals in my career. The first was of a colleague that was killed with his own service weapon.

Please understand I’m not attempting to discourage the reader’s right to carry a firearm. Again, I’m a supporter of your right to carry a firearm. I’m only attempting to reflect how serous it is. Anyone that has trained in firearm retention/firearm disarming skills knows just how vulnerable your firearm can be from a skilled or bigger, stronger, more athletic attacker.

Always seek training above what is required by your state’s laws/regulations. Seek training concerning the laws, not just firearms. Know what to do when you use your weapon and what to expect when the police arrive on scene. Think about the legal/civil issues after you defend yourself.

As a Defensive Tactics instructor, I will always put self-defense, Combatives, martial arts training first. I know that I have needed my defensive tactics so much more then my firearm. I also feel that my gift of gab has kept me from needing both my DT and firearms skills over the years.

Krav Maga is the perfect all encompassing method of self-defense. I say this as a newcomer to Krav Maga. My background (martial arts related) is Kajukenbo, Hapkido, LE-defensive tactics, military Combatives and BJJ for the last two years. From what I’ve observed, Krav Maga is the perfect mix of everything. I love how simple it can be yet still extremely effective. I plan on incorporating it into my weekly training.

In short, if you plan to carry a gun, know EVERYTHING that goes with carrying it. Not just putting holes in a target. Qualifying with your weapon is not training. Go the extra mile and it will pay off if you need it.
    Definitely train unarmed self-defense to augment your firearms training. Finally, I feel Krav Maga is the perfect system for self-defense. You will always have it with you and it covers most scenarios.

Stay Safe….

don

quote mrsociety:

Sorry to drag up an old dead thread here… I know I am new, but I was searching google and came across this. I have been carrying a concealed handgun for 5 years now, Recently in the last year I have taken a few training classes and have practiced the techniques I learned on my own.

I am now interested in learning a martial art to go hand in hand with my carrying of a concealed firearm.

I just wanted to give response to the posts above:

It is not a pain to carry a firearm, depending on the laws of your state.
    In Pennsylvania I can carry concealed anywhere I am legally allowed (No federal Buildings, Post Office, Etc).
    I am allowed to carry places that have a restriction, such as a no guns allowed sign, if I am asked to leave I must leave but it is not illegal.

The training I have received were NRA certified courses and they were taught by a M.D. who’s accolades are too numerous to list.

Care to share with whom or what organization you trained? Would it be at a place in Nevada with the initials FS?

We were taught how to correctly carry, holster selection, drawing and firing, moving to and from cover and concealment, shooting on the move, etc.

Were you taught to access and deploy under stress or under attack???

What we were not taught was retention of the firearm or techniques to defend your firearm.

That is why I am interested in krav maga, It would be a great asset and another tool in my tool box to defend myself with, as well as be a less lethal option to use when a firearm wound not be appropriate.

I would say both should be used in conjunction, not one or the other.

And as the poster below me stated “2. At close range and when surprised, you need empty hands since you may not be able to get to your weapon before receiving a knockout or lethal or otherwise disabilitating blow.” That is incorrect

Based upon MY training and experience, YOU are incorrect.

, we were taught drawing and firing at a close distance and techniques to create distance if required. You will not have time to aim, we were taught shooting from the hip, and point shooting as well as flash sight picture shotoing.

If you want to believe that you’ll Always have time/space to access and deploy your firearm, go ahead. (That’s like training BJJ but always starting from a position of advantage against your opponent). You might be for a rude awakening someday.

Again I am sorry for resurrecting this old dead thread from almost 10 years ago but I just felt I had to reply. I will be more active on this forum, and I hope this first post does not get me in trouble. 🙂

MrSociety

You wrote – “And as the poster below me stated “2. At close range and when surprised, you need empty hands since you may not be able to get to your weapon before receiving a knockout or lethal or otherwise disabilitating blow.” That is incorrect”

If you really believe that, then there’s no point in you training in anything else – you’re apparently ALWAYS going to be ready and ahead of the 8 ball. If SHTF, you’ll just “shewt um”.

five04zog

Here is a YouTube link about carrying a concealed firearm. I post this not to say you should not carry a gun but to show just how BIG training is. If you carry or even own a firearm, you need to train with it. And like I said before, shooting holes in paper is not training.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QjZY3WiO9s

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote five04zog:

Here is a YouTube link about carrying a concealed firearm. I post this not to say you should not carry a gun but to show just how BIG training is. If you carry or even own a firearm, you need to train with it. And like I said before, shooting holes in paper is not training.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QjZY3WiO9s

Totally agree, I do deploy reps for every type of shirt I wear and iwb holster in addition to the actual CCW course. Not to mention our Force weapon retention drills. And Im certified to TEACH weapon retention.

IMHO the last thing I want to do is be in a physical confrontation have it escalate be under duress and then be fumbling with my shirt.

When the SHTF and there is actual gunfire you really don’t know how your going to react. The last time a guy standing next to me got shot I actually made a joke and said “Dude your leaking” THEN I realized I was being shot at. We aren’t living in a war zone and our mental ROE isn’t one of shoot first ask questions later. Deploying my weapon is the last in a long string of highly practiced options.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: